Pearl Maple 12x7 Soprano Snare

Juniper

Gold Member
I happened to play one earlier at my drum teachers studio and I think I've fallen somewhat smitten with this little stunner.

I don't own any snares other than 14" but now I'm thinking of getting one of these. It was surprising full of body and a great tone from its 8 ply maple shell. Never thought of even looking at a small diameter snare until now. Couldn't believe it was only 12" really.

Does anyone own one? If so would you recommend it from experience?

Not something I could see using all of the time but maybe a great option to have in the collection maybe

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I happened to play one earlier at my drum teachers studio and I think I've fallen somewhat smitten with this little stunner.

I don't own any snares other than 14" but now I'm thinking of getting one of these. It was surprising full of body and a great tone from its 8 ply maple shell. Never thought of even looking at a small diameter snare until now. Couldn't believe it was only 12" really.

Does anyone own one? If so would you recommend it from experience?

Not something I could see using all of the time but maybe a great option to have in the collection maybe

Before pulling any triggers Jon perhaps you could take it out of that room and hear it somewhere else. Things sound absolutely killer in my studio...to me sometimes, but not anywhere else. My Supra was like that. Loved it in my studio, it lasted one song when I took it out last. It just did not sound good to me in the room I played it in. Anemic. I could have given it another chance in a different room, but I didn't.

Rooms are a huge factor.

mpthomson

Thanks Andy and Larry

Good food for thought. I'll sit tight and see if I can hear it away from his studio. Interesting introduction to a unfamiliar sized Snare. Slight revelation.

I had one and it was a lovely drum. Just a word of caution though, if it's an early one with the long lugs, a la BLX/MLX, then these are extremely fragile and notorious for shearing off where the lug that attaches the lug to the shell is on the rear of the casting, if that makes sense. As these snares often run at fairly high tensions it's a common issue with them and the lugs are hard to find. This issue also affects all BLX/MLX drums as well.

If it's a later drum with the Masters styles split lugs then it's a much better bet.

toddbishop

Platinum Member
I had one for awhile, and recorded an album with it. Bought it by accident when somebody reported the size wrong. I tuned it pretty low, played with the snares off half the time, and it was a pretty expressive drum-- I was able to get get a lot of interesting sounds out of it playing low to moderately strong-volume modern music. I think as a normal snare drum for doing backbeats at loudish+ volumes it doesn't quite make it-- it's a little thin. Probably best as a second/effects drum in that setting.

I had the honey-colored drum with the long lugs, and it was fine for me.

Here it is with the snares off, and playing backbeats on it.

Merlin5

Gold Member
Very nice, todd. I listened to most of each track, very clean and tasteful drumming, nice cymbals (old Ks?) and excellent musicians. Pianist is great.

Juniper

Gold Member
I had one and it was a lovely drum. Just a word of caution though, if it's an early one with the long lugs, a la BLX/MLX, then these are extremely fragile and notorious for shearing off where the lug that attaches the lug to the shell is on the rear of the casting, if that makes sense. As these snares often run at fairly high tensions it's a common issue with them and the lugs are hard to find. This issue also affects all BLX/MLX drums as well.

If it's a later drum with the Masters styles split lugs then it's a much better bet.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll think I'll pass on this Snare for the time being.

I had one for awhile, and recorded an album with it. Bought it by accident when somebody reported the size wrong. I tuned it pretty low, played with the snares off half the time, and it was a pretty expressive drum-- I was able to get get a lot of interesting sounds out of it playing low to moderately strong-volume modern music. I think as a normal snare drum for doing backbeats at loudish+ volumes it doesn't quite make it-- it's a little thin. Probably best as a second/effects drum in that setting.

I had the honey-colored drum with the long lugs, and it was fine for me.

Here it is with the snares off, and playing backbeats on it.

Thank you also, I'll look forward to checking out your album

toddbishop

Platinum Member
Thanks for listening Merlin-- that pianist is a really great Brazilian player and composer-- he did most of the arrangements on that.

Cymbals are 13" Bosphorus Turk hihats and a 22" Sabian Raw Ride with rivets, and I forget what else-- maybe 20" Agop Turk Jazz Ride?

Merlin5

Gold Member
Thanks for listening Merlin-- that pianist is a really great Brazilian player and composer-- he did most of the arrangements on that.

Cymbals are 13" Bosphorus Turk hihats and a 22" Sabian Raw Ride with rivets, and I forget what else-- maybe 20" Agop Turk Jazz Ride?

Nice! I've always liked the sound of Bosphorus cymbals. Agops are amazing too. I've got a nice 20 Signature Agop, very thin, dark and crashy, though the bell is a bit too flat (physically) so doesn't really project as much as I'd like.