Pearl "Limpid" cymbals

wraub

Apparently, at one point Pearl released (or tried to release) a line of cymbals called "LIMPID", on the misbelief that it would be taken as "clear", rather than as a weird name for cymbals, which apparently it was. Not a rousing commercial success, it seems.
I picked one up recently at a thrift store for cheap, and found a mention of a hi hat set of same, but not a lot more online about them.

Anybody here have (or had) them? Any other info?

Thanks. :)

C.M. Jones

Most drum companies are focused on drums, not on cymbals. Thus, their cymbals pale in comparison to those of Zildjian, Paiste, and so on. I'm not saying you can't find a decent cymbal made by a drum company, only that most drum companies don't take cymbals very seriously. Their lack of investment is often apparent in the quality of cymbals they produce.

roncadillac

Here we go, anymore for anymore? 😂
I'm just joshing, I don't hate the pearl L arms. I actually really like their look with a traditional 1 up 1 down 4pc set up. I also don't buy the 'limit set up flexibility' or 'lack of tom placement' arguments. If anything they force you to just set up and play. I used Tama tom arms for years with the ball socket thingy, I like my drums to just be flat... Good luck getting those suckers perfectly flat. I always had to get a level involved. You can eyeball the angle you want with a pearl L arm in seconds and get it 'correct' 99% of the time.

Al Strange

Apparently, at one point Pearl released (or tried to release) a line of cymbals called "LIMPID", on the misbelief that it would be taken as "clear", rather than as a weird name for cymbals, which apparently it was. Not a rousing commercial success, it seems.
I picked one up recently at a thrift store for cheap, and found a mention of a hi hat set of same, but not a lot more online about them.

Anybody here have (or had) them? Any other info?

Thanks. :)
I’ve never heard of Limpid cymbals, but I imagine that they are soft and flexible with the clearness of water?!! :unsure:;)

roncadillac

I’ve never heard of Limpid cymbals, but I imagine that they are soft and flexible with the clearness of water?!! :unsure:;)
(Typical 80s looking music ad guy wearing a windbreaker suit with a mullet and moustache walks in)

"Hey friends! I'm here to tell you about Pearl's new exciting innovation in drumming, the Limpid cymbals!"

(Points to an empty boom stand and empty hi hat stand)

"These new cymbals have crystal CLEAR projection, shimmering WATERY overtones, and a pleasing visual appeal just like looking through a WINDOW. Please, allow me to demonstrate."

(Picks up a stick and makes a cymbal striking motion. Then a few jazzy looking 'tap tap taps')

"Boy listen to that sweet sound. You heard it, right? I'm sure you did! You big spender, you top dog, you shark of big business. Hop in your lambo, pop in your favorite Rod 8 track, and head on down to your local Sam Goody to pick up your set.... TODAY!!!!!"

(At this point he is sweating and slightly shaking, the copious amounts of.... Business powder.... He has consumed is taking over. It is the 80s after all. He stares directly into the camera with bloodshot eyes, a huge smile, and one gold tooth, and shouts)

"PEARL, BABY!!!!!!!!!!"

Al Strange

(Typical 80s looking music ad guy wearing a windbreaker suit with a mullet and moustache walks in)

"Hey friends! I'm here to tell you about Pearl's new exciting innovation in drumming, the Limpid cymbals!"

"These new cymbals have crystal CLEAR projection, shimmering WATERY overtones, and a pleasing visual appeal just like looking through a WINDOW. Please, allow me to demonstrate."

(Picks up a stick and makes a cymbal striking motion. Then a few jazzy looking 'tap tap taps')

"Boy listen to that sweet sound. You heard it, right? I'm sure you did! You big spender, you top dog, you shark of big business. Hop in your lambo, pop in your favorite Rod 8 track, and head on down to your local Sam Goody to pick up your set.... TODAY!!!!!"

(At this point he is sweating and slightly shaking, the copious amounts of.... Business powder.... He has consumed is taking over. It is the 80s after all. He stares directly into the camera with bloodshot eyes, a huge smile, and one gold tooth, and shouts)

"PEARL, BABY!!!!!!!!!!"
I didn’t think I’d told anyone that story?! 😂

Bozozoid

Limped?..hmm. This brings back a very fond memory. In high school in a time long long ago a dear friend had an Aldons catalog blue sparkle drum set which to me was beautiful. He needed hihat cymbals and invited me over to check them out. They were Pearl hihat cymbals. To my ears back then they sounded fabulous which left an indelible mark on me. I've literally within the last week searched ebay for pearl hihat cymbals to relive that moment in time. It's still in my mind how good those hats sounded...even next to his brothers Addis zildjian. Long live Pearl cymbals.

wraub

Okay, thanks all for...that. :)

I got the cymbal for really cheap, expecting nothing more than a noisemaker, and... I am not disappointed. I think the Limpid name may have come from a pictured ideal pool of water in which to throw this cymbal for fun and distance, but the sound is like someone put a cymbal in a metal box which was thrown at the pool but missed and hit the rocks on shore.

I can use that. ;)

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Well, after discovering the alien metal in Gretsch silver sealer, I went to competitors to sell the idea it would likely make incredible cymbals- Pearl took the bait and it turns out I was wrong. I should have performed a pilot study. I’m thinking it may have use in Frisbee golf? Limpid is in reference to the home planet the metal is mined. There are no cymbals there which was good evidence my hypothesis was probably wrong but I was thinking out of the squeeze box. I picked up wrong box.
I’ve recently uncovered evidence Limped is covered in natural cylinder configurations -AND covered with this metal. It was just a matter of time before the indigenous life discovered adding an oscillating membrane will create a drum. This technology was later introduced to Earth and an ancient descendant of the Gretsch family line that acquired the technology and some of the special metal. And we all know the rest of the story.

Well I maybe distantly related to Art Bell- but he’s a nut- so a clear distinction LOL I can’t get any major media to pick up on my story which is clear evidence of media bias snd censorship- some people believe in mermaids so this is completely believable and clear evidence my story banned for Big Foot and Mermaids favor. Still trying to hide alien exist and aided humanity. ROFL this is what happens if you overdose on Turkey and tryptophan overdose- alters your brain chemistry - there is a reason Turkey wasn’t served first Thanksgiving. Sounds like ergotism from moldy bread-I thought it was fruit cake.

Last edited:

dale w miller

Silver Member
I would guess they were outsourced from some Chinese manufacturer and had their name stamped on them.

"PEARL, BABY!!!!!!!!!!"
Do youngsters on here even know Sam Goody? :)

Last edited:

Ransan

Pics please I’m interested in what they look like.
Most drum companies are focused on drums, not on cymbals. Thus, their cymbals pale in comparison to those of Zildjian, Paiste, and so on. I'm not saying you can't find a decent cymbal made by a drum company, only that most drum companies don't take cymbals very seriously. Their lack of investment is often apparent in the quality of cymbals they produce.
Contrary!
Tom arms notwithstanding:
Pearl is good at getting beginners started, they’re great at budget and value. Any other name on a a complete outfit, I’m talking the whole nine, would not go the distance Pearl does.
I’ve known a few in my town who had Pearl cymbals - say what you want about quality but they stepped out and made sales. Have been doing it for decades!
As Pearl cymbal history goes, in the 60s the early MX line came from Maxwin, which Pearl owned, then in 70s came about the Carl Bruno or CB cymbals who were a division of Pearl. In the 80s and 90s for Pearl cymbals, the CX and Wild lines, due to brashness, may have been popular in the 80s, for that time it was niche.
Pearl since coming in mid late 60s have actually positioned themselves as titans of the industry and maintain that status.
Their vertical market regarding top line products exceed most other drum manufacturers and compare to even those of specialty product.
For instance Pearl 3000 pedals are comparable to trick and axis as they have longboard and almost same linkage and design thought put in. Lesser opponents such as DWs 9000 being rather boutique and pricey and the Tama IC and dyna link (which is almost like Pearl’s design beside the nasty greasy coil that Tama inserted underfoot lol.) does nothing near capacity of the demonator as the demonator can convert independently to single pedals.
Who other than Pearl compares with Gibraltar in the rack and hardware systems, yea I’ll wait til maybe Tama sniffs into Pearl’s designs and maybe have the bandwidth to come out with a decent rack. DW sinks their R&D into dumb shell construction techniques that others seem to follow...
I could go on and on about Pearl’s foot print in the drum industry. Who screams for Yamaha pedals, Tama rack systems, or Gretsch hardware, not even a throne, but most drummers know what a Roadshow is I guarantee!

dale w miller

Silver Member
Pics please I’m interested in what they look like.
Contrary!
Tom arms notwithstanding:
Pearl is good at getting beginners started, they’re great at budget and value. Any other name on a a complete outfit, I’m talking the whole nine, would not go the distance Pearl does.
I’ve known a few in my town who had Pearl cymbals - say what you want about quality but they stepped out and made sales. Have been doing it for decades!
As Pearl cymbal history goes, in the 60s the early MX line came from Maxwin, which Pearl owned, then in 70s came about the Carl Bruno or CB cymbals who were a division of Pearl. In the 80s and 90s for Pearl cymbals, the CX and Wild lines, due to brashness, may have been popular in the 80s, for that time it was niche.
Pearl since coming in mid late 60s have actually positioned themselves as titans of the industry and maintain that status.
Their vertical market regarding top line products exceed most other drum manufacturers and compare to even those of specialty product.
For instance Pearl 3000 pedals are comparable to trick and axis as they have longboard and almost same linkage and design thought put in. Lesser opponents such as DWs 9000 being rather boutique and pricey and the Tama IC and dyna link (which is almost like Pearl’s design beside the nasty greasy coil that Tama inserted underfoot lol.) does nothing near capacity of the demonator as the demonator can convert independently to single pedals.
Who other than Pearl compares with Gibraltar in the rack and hardware systems, yea I’ll wait til maybe Tama sniffs into Pearl’s designs and maybe have the bandwidth to come out with a decent rack. DW sinks their R&D into dumb shell construction techniques that others seem to follow...
I could go on and on about Pearl’s foot print in the drum industry. Who screams for Yamaha pedals, Tama rack systems, or Gretsch hardware, not even a throne, but most drummers know what a Roadshow is I guarantee!
I agree with most of this.

Ransan

"PEARL, BABY!!!!!!!!!!"
Yea because it the 80s Pearl and Ludwig held it up, and what else was there to play seriously?
Kidding aside during that time, Tesla’s drummer made it on a Tama ad and those rock progressives are power toming it up on the quad base drum Yamahas... also Yamahas poster child non other than Robert Sweet of Stryper.