Pearl hi hat clutch inquiry

Ransan

Hello
I just purchased the Pearl rapid drop clutch for my Pearl H1050 stand (I know it already comes with rapid lock clutch) but never experienced a drop clutch before and wanted to try.
I was torn between this one (1st image) and the older one for the Eliminator series (2nd image) with the rubber washers, but am not sure this one fits the Redline stand.
My questions are:
The newer rapid clutch comes with felts washers, will the rubber washers fit?
Does anyone know why they went back to felt?
Will the older clutch fit this stand?
Also, appreciate anyone sharing their experience with any of these in particular.
Thanks for your time and help.
FBC6F0D9-FC95-45AD-BEBD-C34E8DA413D5.jpeg
C4646F08-8E52-426D-B2A4-466F6EB2EF3F.png

markiet1966

I had a clutch with the rubber washers, didn't like them at all and immediately replaced them with standard felts, for me the hats wobbled about on those rubber things.

Mark

Stevedot2

I had a clutch with the rubber washers, didn't like them at all and immediately replaced them with standard felts, for me the hats wobbled about on those rubber things.

Mark
Same!

I had a pearl standard clutch for some time a few years back and had problems with it fitting on some hi hat stands. I'm pretty certain all Pearl stuff will be standardised so should fit the redline stand no problem. Just may not fit other brand stands, which is worth considering if you practice somewhere with a different kit or play gigs regularly using other kits (ie: not your own).

Stevedot2

Also, drop clutches are cool but they are a bit cumbersome and not really necessary. I wouldn't personally bother with one again. I play double kick and have only one set of hats and never feel like I'm missing anything.

My clutch of choice is the Gibraltar quick release one, if that's of any relevance.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
If a Pearl drop clutch does not fit any Pearl HH stand I would be dumbfounded. Pearl's hardware is erector set like, meaning just about everything fits everything. You can take a 20 year old tripod base and stick a new downtube and boom arm on it and be good to go without thought.

I dont like drop clutches either. If you dont hit it hard enough the cymbal wont drop. If you dont step on the pedal hard enough it won't pick the cymbal back up.

I dont like Pearl's drop clutch design either. A vertical drop lever means you have to change your stroke to hit it. At least a horizontal lever allows you to keep the same up and down stroke.

I'm not dissing Pearl by any means. I have been playing them since 1993 and will probably be a Pearl guy for the rest of my life. I wouldn't buy that drop clutch though.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I have the one with the rubbers. I think they give you those because normally guys get a remote hat and they put the hi hats at a comfortable angle, so the rubber is harder to hold the cymbal better when it’s at an angle. But if you’re close to straight up and down, it doesn’t matter what you use. I used mine to put the hats dead center right on front of me so I used my usual felts. But I didn’t hear a difference in sound with either.

Ransan

Mark
Thank you for your reply, that is noted. Did it give your cymbal a brighter sound and more noticeable sustained top hat?

Ransan

Also, drop clutches are cool but they are a bit cumbersome and not really necessary. I wouldn't personally bother with one again. I play double kick and have only one set of hats and never feel like I'm missing anything.

My clutch of choice is the Gibraltar quick release one, if that's of any relevance.
Thanks for your response.
I found that my hat position with the drop clutch being to where I can’t put my tambourine because it’s already at the top of rod.

Ransan

Same!

I had a pearl standard clutch for some time a few years back and had problems with it fitting on some hi hat stands. I'm pretty certain all Pearl stuff will be standardised so should fit the redline stand no problem. Just may not fit other brand stands, which is worth considering if you practice somewhere with a different kit or play gigs regularly using other kits (ie: not your own).
Thanks for your input that is good to know.
I intend to have the h1050 stand for a long time. 🙂

Ransan

If a Pearl drop clutch does not fit any Pearl HH stand I would be dumbfounded. Pearl's hardware is erector set like, meaning just about everything fits everything. You can take a 20 year old tripod base and stick a new downtube and boom arm on it and be good to go without thought.

I dont like drop clutches either. If you dont hit it hard enough the cymbal wont drop. If you dont step on the pedal hard enough it won't pick the cymbal back up.

I dont like Pearl's drop clutch design either. A vertical drop lever means you have to change your stroke to hit it. At least a horizontal lever allows you to keep the same up and down stroke.

I'm not dissing Pearl by any means. I have been playing them since 1993 and will probably be a Pearl guy for the rest of my life. I wouldn't buy that drop clutch though.
Thanks for your insight MIP. I did see DW’s clutch and I liked Iron cobras didn’t know about fitting on the Pearl.
The Redline is smooth and is well enough to pick up the drop hi hat.
I haven’t had much of a chance to toy with it as far as the angle of release and what not.
I did manually drop and picked up with pedal for a few times and was no problem.
I hear you on not dissing but rather conveying your experience.

Ransan

I have the one with the rubbers. I think they give you those because normally guys get a remote hat and they put the hi hats at a comfortable angle, so the rubber is harder to hold the cymbal better when it’s at an angle. But if you’re close to straight up and down, it doesn’t matter what you use. I used mine to put the hats dead center right on front of me so I used my usual felts. But I didn’t hear a difference in sound with either.
Thanks for your reply Bo. I’ve been reading that it ‘opens’ up the hats.
Has this been your experience? Do you think the rubbers have longer or shorter lifespan than felts?