Pearl H2050 - Gimmicky?

OliverATX

Hello, all!

I am looking at the Pearl H2050 Eliminator Redline Hi-hat Stand. A bit crazy in price, so I am very tempted to throw it off my list. Furthermore, it has a cam feature, rather than direct pull. Seems to introduce a lot of moving parts where they may not be needed? My understanding is that this allows for the cymbal hats to be in a more open resting position as to avoid them clonking together when open?

Any feedback from folks who own this thing, please :) or smart peops with suggestions.

Thank you,

Oliver

I have one of the Pre-Redline Eliminator hi-hats purchased in 2010.
Nice stand but with a few personal caveats...
I found the spinning rod for the top cymbal to be rather annoying. I taped mine so it wouldn't move.
The action was super smooth. You really should experiment with the included cams. You can really customiize the feel.
My second caveat was a personal one. I was unable to get a tighter spring tension. This may not be an issue for you. I would strongly recommend an audition. It looks sexy as hell for a hihat stand. It's heavy, but I like heavier hihat and snare drum stands. Pearl always makes great hardware.
Hope this helps.

I owned the DW 9000 hi hat, which is the same principle in the linkage, but a lot more expensive at $399, and although I could feel a little more smoothness in the pedal operation, I didn’t think it was “$150 smoother” when compared to the direct pull Dw5000 hi hat. You may feel the same way. My hi-hat technique doesn’t get better with such a linkage as my bass drum technique did with a smooth chain drive. But it’s a personal thing. If you really like it and it makes you want to play more, then maybe it’s worth it?

I never saw a hi hat with cams and pulley action. I would really love to try one.

As a heel down player they look very intriguing.

Sorry I have nothing to offer as far as experience goes.

But thanks for bringing it to our attention :)

the deal with the cam/leverglide doohickeys is they allow you to get a fully closed sound with less leg pressure; so for instance, if your direct pull hihat stand requires 2lbs of foot pressure to get a closed-foot sound, the leverglides might need only 1.25lbs to do the same thing

this lightens the load for playing continuous foot patterns while also amplifying the effect that your foot pressure provides, so you can get a super-tight staccato sound by using "regular" pressure

in effect, it recreates the effect of a "talking hi hat" in the same way a player squeezes a talking drum... which, depending on your style, could open up a range of phrases versus just playing patterns

definitely try one.... if you're the type that bounces your hihat leg when playing, you might love it, cuz even closed, the uneven "wiggling" really stands out

YMMV

While I wouldn't call Pearl's H2050 "gimmicky," it has too many bells and whistles for my taste. I use Pearl's H-930 hi-hat stand, as well as their P-930 bass pedal. The 900-level hardware never wavers in its performance or durability. If you offered me, free of charge, the hardware of my choice, I'd stick with all my 900 stuff. I like simplicity.

Unless your kid has complained about the action of his current HH stand, I would look at its pull mechanism and get something similar. No new learning curve to deal with, and he wont miss something he doesnt have or want.

While I wouldn't call Pearl's H2050 "gimmicky," it has too many bells and whistles for my taste. I use Pearl's H-930 hi-hat stand, as well as their P-930 bass pedal. The 900-level hardware never wavers in its performance or durability. If you offered me, free of charge, the hardware of my choice, I'd stick with all my 900 stuff. I like simplicity.

Yea, the additional mechanics worry me as well.....

I owned the DW 9000 hi hat, which is the same principle in the linkage, but a lot more expensive at $399, and although I could feel a little more smoothness in the pedal operation, I didn’t think it was “$150 smoother” when compared to the direct pull Dw5000 hi hat. You may feel the same way. My hi-hat technique doesn’t get better with such a linkage as my bass drum technique did with a smooth chain drive. But it’s a personal thing. If you really like it and it makes you want to play more, then maybe it’s worth it?
Thanks for the info. Well, this one is $329, so no bargain by any means. The next down (with direct drive) is $219, so >$100 cheaper.

the deal with the cam/leverglide doohickeys is they allow you to get a fully closed sound with less leg pressure; so for instance, if your direct pull hihat stand requires 2lbs of foot pressure to get a closed-foot sound, the leverglides might need only 1.25lbs to do the same thing

this lightens the load for playing continuous foot patterns while also amplifying the effect that your foot pressure provides, so you can get a super-tight staccato sound by using "regular" pressure

in effect, it recreates the effect of a "talking hi hat" in the same way a player squeezes a talking drum... which, depending on your style, could open up a range of phrases versus just playing patterns

definitely try one.... if you're the type that bounces your hihat leg when playing, you might love it, cuz even closed, the uneven "wiggling" really stands out

YMMV
Great info, thank you. It's for my son, so he will have to weigh in on his technique and needs...However, since he is not a fully grown adult, yet, this may benefit him...

Back