Pearl export 18" tom?

decadeA

So I looked on a website and found a pearl export 18" tom, which i never knew was a thing until now. Is this available in black? I was looking to buy a new snare drum and an add on tom. I saw this on a website in black but the picture was just a picture of a 16x16 tom. Any help?

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Totally a thing. They do come in black. Here in the States an Export EXX 18"x16" floor tom goes for $216.99 just about everywhere you look.

18" floor toms have been around forever. I have one from the early 70's. It's a monster.

opentune

Platinum Member
I'd rather put any and all extra money into a snare than an 18 floor tom. The snare is heard at least every 2 beats :)

Iristone

I'd rather put any and all extra money into a snare than an 18 floor tom. The snare is heard at least every 2 beats :)
Not if you play like I do. Pretty sure my floor tom can be heard every now and then. :ROFLMAO:
I'm kind of longing for a 18" floor tom too, but my kit is not a Pearl Export... It's a Ludwig Club Date SE and these don't come with additional drums. :(

harryconway

Platinum Member
I'm kind of longing for a 18" floor tom too, but my kit is not a Pearl Export... It's a Ludwig Club Date SE and these don't come with additional drums. :(
Well, true to Ludwig fashion, the original Club Date didn't come with an 18" floor tom. Or a 16" floor tom, for that matter. You could have a 14x14, or a 15x12. Standard combo's were 20, 12, 14 .... or 22, 13, 15. I guess Ludwig didn't have a tension rod for the Club Date center lug, that could span 16". So anytime you saw an added 16" or 18" floor tom, it was a split lug Super Classic (or some other brand).

Iristone

Well, true to Ludwig fashion, the original Club Date didn't come with an 18" floor tom. Or a 16" floor tom, for that matter. You could have a 14x14, or a 15x12. Standard combo's were 20, 12, 14 .... or 22, 13, 15. I guess Ludwig didn't have a tension rod for the Club Date center lug, that could span 16". So anytime you saw an added 16" or 18" floor tom, it was a split lug Super Classic (or some other brand).
Mine is a 2012 reissue version, with a 16" floor tom. I believe the newer reissue has a 18" floor tom though.

harryconway

Platinum Member
Wow ..... finally ..... I see it listed on the Ludwig site.

Your kit has the cherry/gum shells ? If so, I've played those. Sound really similar to the vintage original Club Dates. Nice !!!