Pearl EPro Kit meets Drumometer

mattsmith

Platinum Member
I see both pieces of electronic kit here as transition technologies. What I mean by that is that I suspect both will be superseded in the near to middle future by something that does the same thing only better as well as doing so much more. What you and Bob have done I think is point the way to possible applications and developments.

What I find genuinely surprising is that the full potential of electronic drums has yet to be exploited and I suspect this is because we (the drumming community) are thinking too conventionally about electronic instruments. We are too set on thinking what they can't do rather than what they might be able to do.

Counting strokes can have some utility and is difficult to do with acoustic drums (carbon paper - stop watches all that kind of thing) but as some have already pointed out it is of limited interest. But an eKit that could show you graphically exactly where your strokes fell set against a quantitized reference point - now that would be something that could be used to practise and develop a whole range of drumming skills (not just speed and endurance). I suspect the technology to do that kind of thing is already here or very nearly here.
You make a lot of interesting points, but here is my perspective, and it's a perspective that might be getting overlooked. You call this stuff a transitional technology and I'm thinking more in line with... Wow I remember five years ago when guys were calling the Drumometer that parking meter thingamajigger that's not as good as my $5 metronome, that I swear I'm not using to count exercises incorrectly. So first maybe congratulations are in order for moving up the public acceptance food chain by leaps and bounds.

But I am a little surprised by how few see the value in playing dead on to a time marking when so few even get close to doing that well. They say Well I can practice to my metronome clicker, then they go right back to making the same mistakes they made when they told everyone they were playing at 250 for a full minute, when it was a lot closer to 150. Then they went to the session or rehearsal and couldn't understand why everybody was so angry.

Let's also understand that there are a flood of high school band directors who would love the luxury of a dead on drumline every time they head out for Saturday competitions, to say nothing of classical percussionists and cruise ship drummers who better play the dance instructor's tempo exactly or else. I've also found the integration of a synchronized dancer to music highly musical...meaning that our overused musicality word may have a great many definitions besides the ones we hold close.

I know my head is a little more invested in this than everyone here...and don't think I don't appreciate the input...but I'm seeing this as demonstrating the wonderful flexibilities of both technologies, alongside the first step to something else entirely...where the Drumometer demonstrates its flexibility to do any number of things in a practice situation before a drummer goes out in the world to make real music. This presentation is as much about showing that the thought process on this stuff has evolved enough to begin moving towards this and many of those things you guys have mentioned here. But regardless the configuration as it stands is to me pretty cool.

Coldhardsteel

Gold Member
I think that the Drum-o-meter is a great piece of technology, in particular just by itself. But I can't shake the feeling that the DM and a metronome aren't good enough by themselves. It feels like there's a third element missing.

Hmm...

Oh! Rhythmic accuracy is only worth so much when you have no way to measure your performance against the piece you attempted to play. If the Drum-o-meter and a metronome were combined into an application that would record your strokes and compare it against a piece of written music, then true accuracy could be achieved. But right now, it doesn't matter if you know how many strokes you did, you could still be playing out of time somewhere.

The extra data feed is useful, but the set-up's not done yet.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Well since a Drumometer wasn't around back in those days I suspect it was probably very easy to get along without one. Truthfully it was Buddy Rich who inspired the invention of the drummometer. Barrett Deems claimed he was the worlds fastest and Buddy asked him what machine he used..
Good point.

I remember Barret Deems would put ads in Modern Drummer touting himself as the worlds fastest drummer, and I always used to think "how exactly did he determine that?" Always seemed to be an odd claim to me.

I can see how there is value for certain situations that need to be dead on exact every time. The drummer who gets hired to back the pop star to reproduce machine made tracks that have to be perfectly the same every night. Or the extreme metal guy who is playing at 250+ and there is no room for error. I can see how in those situations having a measurement of exactly how many notes across the drum set are played is useful.

Great Job Matt,
I already use the Drum-o-meter as part of my education on the drums and many kids that I've helped have also used this method and hey, their reading and timing improved especially when using the metronome.

Its good to have a visual tool that's telling you what you are playing and tells you the truth as to if you are missing a note/s or playing behind or in front of the time.

The Drum-o-meter has helped me in so many aspects of my drumming, Speed, Control and now this method, reading and timing. Its not just a machine that counts how many strokes a drummer can play. Dan Britt has also used it in a Mathematical application, Eric Okamoto uses his maths and the metronome to figure out a score target. So it really is a great tool.
Drummers you should really try it.

Happy Drumming!
Joey Moulalli,
2011 WFD winner & 2011 Drum against Cancer foundation.

mattsmith

Platinum Member
I want to thank everyone for their input regarding this project. No one expects a uniform consensus positive or negative, and I picked up a number of valuable insights both ways.

As a lot of you know I'm interested in many different things as I try to expand my awareness of both the music and the business side. As this project develops further I'll keep you up to date...although I'm not entirely sure there will ever be a machine that does everything...nor should there be, seeing as music is much about the journey as it is the product that comes at the end of it. That's why for instance a machine that spoon feeds your rhythms is to me an inappropriate use of technology, in that it gives the machine yet another excuse for the human not to think for himself which I think in the long run hinders creativity and creates yet another reason for drummers to by choice remain illiterate and subject to all that outside garbage we complain about.

Thanks again, Matt

Boo

Founder WFD
This was an extremely fun project to work on with Matt and WFD crew. As far as I know the first ever of it's kind. Congrats Matt 800 DM's for 6's in 60 seconds is awesome! :)

We are also experimenting with the Drumometer & e Pro Live and all the rudiments. Have any of you guys played around with concert or marching pieces gauging your accuracy in DM's using the Drumometer or tracked you progress in building rudiments using the Drumometer and progress report?

Reason I asked we would love to hear your results and stories........

Boo