Pearl Drums- Dating by Serial #

Chuckster317

Good Evening All,

Just getting back into drumming after a l-o-n-g hiatus (20+ years). Long story short my wife gave me a set of drums for Christmas several years ago. They've been great for stress relief and general fun, but do not have the sound quality needed for an actual gig.

Now they're/I'm needed to help start a church praise & worship band. They are Pearl Export Pro with I.S.S., they're around 15 years old +/-, but I'm unsure of the wood used for the inner shell construction and what heads would be best to get that deep tone of modern music, not to mention eliminating the horrible over-tones and "pinginess" of the toms (especially).

The serial # begins with 966, does anyone know how to find out the year and/or construction from the serial? Any help/recommendations you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Chuck
Murray, KY

Pearl's serial numbers hold no information about series, manufacturing date, etc on Exports to Reference. The only serial numbers that hold information are Pearl Masterworks kits which hold manufacturing date, chemical make up of the finish, ply configuration, etc...

Chuckster317

Thanks S.S.,

You don't happen to know anything about the history of the Export Pro series in general do you? Maybe I should re-name my thread (begin a new one) specifically tailored to the Export Pro. I've read, dependent on year, the heads were either maple or poplar ply. We know they're at least 13/14 years old, maybe a year or two older. I guess a call to Pearl is in order. Surely they keep a record of their serial #'s. Thanks again for your reply. Chuck

Blanket

Does anyone know exactly what the digits within the serial number mean? Does the first 2 digits refer to year of production? Would the next four refer to what number of drum produce in that year?
Thanks

Hey that was me! I used to be known as Society's Sorrow.

Anyway, as I said before, Pearl's serial numbers on the badges have no meaning whatsoever. They don't hold any information about manufacturing date, colour, or anything like that. They are just random generated numbers for your own personal record keeping for insurance purposes.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Hey that was me! I used to be known as Society's Sorrow.

Anyway, as I said before, Pearl's serial numbers on the badges have no meaning whatsoever. They don't hold any information about manufacturing date, colour, or anything like that. They are just random generated numbers for your own personal record keeping for insurance purposes.
I am pretty sure that is correct.

Pearl has a forum of their own, and if post this over there, you can get a reply directly from a Pearl employee.

rizingstarz

I'm extremely curious about the Pearl import set I purchased in 1984, they are 8 ply maple shells, is that unusual? I also purchased at the same time a slingerland 14" x 8.5 snare drum (follow me on this) 8 ply maple shell rapped in a dark chrome. (And yes you can actually 8 plys that I just counted again) was 8 ply the norm for the period?

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Slingerland snares in the 700 series from that vintage had the slapshot strainer,and were available in 7,8 or 9 x14 5 ply maple or possible maple/poplar shells.

Steve B