Pearl Demon Drive

I tried them at NAMM, and I have to say I was impressed.

Many years ago, a 300 pound box fell on my bass drum foot, and when I jumped up, I twisted my ankle really badly. While I can walk on it fine, and play most things on a bass drum, I've never been able to play fast doubles (ala Bonham) since.

I sat down on this pedal and suddenly could play stuff I've never played before.
I was very impressed, and I thought it blows the Axis and other advanced pedals away.

But the price is ridiculous! Holy cow, as much as I loved the pedal, I can't see paying that much for it any time soon. It's much nicer than my DW, but I'm not sure it's worth paying nearly 3 times more for it.

One thing I've learned about pedals and pedal settings is this.

If it SEEMS easier to do something with a new pedal, very soon, even within weeks, it will no longer be as easy. Muscles that were developed on the other pedals will no longer be needed and thus become weaker.

I practice without my orthodics in my shoes because I found that they gave me more leverage. I DO sound better when I have them in my shoes, but certain muscles get weaker and very soon the extra power is lost. When I perform or once a week I try to practice with them in my shoes just to hear that extra power.

My point is this. If your playing will get stronger and more intricate with this new pedal then go for it, but don't judge the pedal just from one try. It would take me a month to really evaluate the pedal myself.

Dan

My take on it: it is just another choice. Pluses versus minus do not out weigh the change for me especially at that price. What the pedal lacks to me is the natural feel of rebound. The beater comes back it doesn't necessary bounce back it is just there perfectly waiting for you. There is no "grab" or "swing" to it. It is almost too perfect sort of like Pro-tools and the way some producers quantize everything. If that is what you like, then this is the pedal for you. But as it stands I need something that "breathes" a little bit more, but that's style just as much as anything.

I liked your explanation of things on this. Especially how things can be too perfect.

I think the pedal looks cool, and it's one of those "oooh, what's that?" and you kinda want one...at first anyway.

The price, while it's "in there" with other high end pedals, is the thing that WILL hold me back from buying one (and THINK about it, not just go "it's only that much, cool ring me up"), especially when I was leaning toward a Trick Longboard.

But, I really like the feel of the standard Eliminator double chain as I have it set up.
It does "breath" and I can feel it there solidly. It feels good under my foot, it's THERE on my foot and does what I want, when I want it to.

I don't know what the one player on the promo video (I think it was Jimmy Degrasso) experiences when he said sometimes there's "lag", or like the foot board comes up and the chain is a tiny bit behind (something like that).
My chain and foot board don't feel like that AT ALL. Never has.

I've loved the Eliminator since I laid foot on it, and I think it's the best pedal for my foot that I've ever owned (or played).
I'll have to play the Demon Drive, but I don't think that I will be buying one--unless it's so cool & so much better than the Eliminator that I HAVE to get one.

Nice video.

Except that just having Virgil Donati TALK about this new pedal instead of playing the groove to "Dog Boots" to show it off kind of makes you wonder what the Pearl marketing guys are smoking.

Possibly, but I do feel the beater "returns" back with the Demon. It doesn't bounce back as a stick would when played in your hand.

I hear what you're saying...more to the point of that post....(an assumption due to my Axis' feel and others I have tried in GC and other's kits) is that the rebound is not the Demon so much as it is the feel of any direct-drive.

One thing I've learned about pedals and pedal settings is this.
. It would take me a month to really evaluate the pedal myself.

I couldn't agree more. One can't just sit down and instantaneously be amazingly faster with any given pedal...even if the pedal was designed for speed. It would take an adjustment period, even if it were days, to get the feel right. Took me a couple months (truly) to get used to, and effectively, surpass the comfort-level of playing compared to what I was playing previous to my AL-2's.

The only thing that keeps me from being a complete hypocrite is that my judgment on the Demon has nothing to do with it's performance...merely the concept of selling something that has features that aren't new or ground-breaking and, in fact, don't even entice me to want to play one. This, before the price tag....which isn't totally insane, but far reaching nonetheless. The flimsy endorsement youtube video did that no justice either...

Just an opinion.

Andy

I'm a little confused

I've been told the demon drive double pedals don't convert into 2 single pedals but from the pictures, it looks pretty clear that they do...

What really frustrates me is I've only just realised this on the pictures, but I tried these pedals in a shop yesterday and never thought to check!!

Anyone know for sure?

Oh an by the way - I'd never tried direct drive before yesterday but I have to say - these pedals are incredibly smooth and responsive and much lighter than I'm used to. I sounded absolutely terrible on them because of this :p And if I'm honest, the slave pedal is probably even smoother than the right. I don't know how Pearl managed that and I'm trying to avoid sounding like a Pearl rep. I'm just stating my opinion.

Ray
HAKEN

www.myspace.com/hakenmusic

What I can't figure out is why someone doesn't isolate the concepts of a longboard and a direct drive into two DIFFERENT pedals. After owning the Axis Longboard A pedals for awhile, I determined that the feel just wasn't for me. What I could not determine was whether it was the fact that it was a longboard, that it was a direct drive or whether it was just the pedal in general. Now I realize that they have shortboard direct drive pedals, I just haven't been able to play one because they are difficult to find in stores (Axis and Trick). Pearl seems much easier to come by so I'll make it a point to look for the Demon Drive asap.

Does anyone who has played this and a regular Eliminator find them to be similar in any way?

I've seen the promo video, and really, these pedals look amazing but, I own the eliminators and the price for the demon drive, you know, it makes me think about enjoying my pedals a little bit more.

I don't need new pedals for now, but of course, if I could, I would buy the demon drives.

Anyway, I live so far from The States that I believe here, the demon drive cost will be around 1000 USD, so... that gives you a clue about my way of thinking.

Now, for what I read, I see that the people that tried them out say exactly what I expected: you get what you play (or somethng alike). As for me, that is exactly what I need, but my wallet is not pleased with that, that's all :)

I've seen the promo video, and really, these pedals look amazing but, I own the eliminators and the price for the demon drive, you know, it makes me think about enjoying my pedals a little bit more.

I don't need new pedals for now, but of course, if I could, I would buy the demon drives.

Anyway, I live so far from The States that I believe here, the demon drive cost will be around 1000 USD, so... that gives you a clue about my way of thinking.

Now, for what I read, I see that the people that tried them out say exactly what I expected: you get what you play (or somethng alike). As for me, that is exactly what I need, but my wallet is not pleased with that, that's all :)

Swap-out your bearings with "Ninja Bearings'. Its supposed to be 'the big thing' on Demon Drive.

In this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rICbaGgIVu8 Gene Okamoto (Pearl's Spokesman) says @ :45

"...a set of Ninja Bearings, in Japan for a skateboards (8) are $130. There are 2 of them on this pedal" So do the math... 8 divided by 130= $16.25 ea. Pearl probably pays less buying in bulk.

A set of Ninja Bearings here in the USA can be had for $20 http://socalskateshop.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=585

Bones Swiss Ceramics, which are said to be far superior to Ninja's can be had for $100 (8)

@ 1:18 of the vid, Gene demonstrates something that never happens while playing a bass drum pedal- the foot board being lifted from the bottom. In reality while playing, It always gets lifted by the chain (or direct link) along with other forces, never from a persons hand below the foot board.

So his verbal example from 1:25-1:35 is not rooted in reality. That scenario can happen on 'any' pedal, chain, direct, strap ...doesn't matter. What he describes there is 'over playing' --the foot going down-again faster than the foot board returning, which can happen on 'any' pedal. The fix is to tighten the spring. What he demonstrates with his hand we all know is not reality, nobody lifts the foot board from underneath.

Bones Swiss Ceramic bearings in an IC, or Eliminator anyone?

Attachments

• Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    103 KB · Views: 769
Back