Pearl Demon Drive

Tyrone1

I am currently at NAMM and took this Bad-Boy for a test spin yesterday and it is everything Pearl says it is and then some. It has Ninja bearings in it and it is lightning fast. I like it because you can go from a short board to a long board with a few quick and easy steps. When you make the conversion, all parts stay on. You don't have any pieces you have to put away for safe keeping. There are several easy adjustments that can allow you to customize this pedal to your liking. It comes standard with a felt beater but a wooden beater is available as well. There is absolutely no play in the shaft for the double kick set-up. When you move your foot that beater is right there. When I saw the demo yesterday I thought ok maybe. Then they let me try it out and it comlpetely blew my mind. I couldn't believe the speed and control I had. I have been a long-time owner and supporter of Pearl and have just become life-time member. The price looks to be a little steep but then again it's a brand new product. I guarantee you will not be dissappointed with this product.

diosdude

Silver Member
I am currently at NAMM and took this Bad-Boy for a test spin yesterday and it is everything Pearl says it is and then some. It has Ninja bearings in it and it is lightning fast. I like it because you can go from a short board to a long board with a few quick and easy steps. When you make the conversion, all parts stay on. You don't have any pieces you have to put away for safe keeping. There are several easy adjustments that can allow you to customize this pedal to your liking. It comes standard with a felt beater but a wooden beater is available as well. There is absolutely no play in the shaft for the double kick set-up. When you move your foot that beater is right there. When I saw the demo yesterday I thought ok maybe. Then they let me try it out and it comlpetely blew my mind. I couldn't believe the speed and control I had. I have been a long-time owner and supporter of Pearl and have just become life-time member. The price looks to be a little steep but then again it's a brand new product. I guarantee you will not be dissappointed with this product.

Yeah, Drum-Head, maybe this endorsement would have more credibility if it came from an actual forum member and not a Pearl employee (first ever post sounds like a commercial?). I play the Trick dominator and the Pearl is a direct rip off. That being said, if you're going to rip someone off, rip off the best. I'm sure the Pearl is totally awesome but c'mon? The only innovation is the convertible standard to longboard feature. Hey, Pearl, newsflash: everyone's just going to convert it to longboard and never convert it back or vice versa. Seriously, who would switch once they figure out which configuration they prefer? That's like changing you car seat position, why would you do that? C'mon, pearl, eveyone was counting on you guys to bring this pedal to market for around $500 USD. You would have sold just as many of these as your eliminators even at THAT price. Now you're only going to sell them to the guys who can afford Masterworks. Oh BTW, tyrone, or is it Katsumi? Welcome to the forum, you're part of the coolest group on the internet, even though some of us are cooler than others.

eddiehimself

Platinum Member
Yeah it might be expensive but i'm sure you can now afford one with the money pearl gave you to write THAT!

Tyrone1

Thanks everyone for your comments and your honesty. No, definitely not a Pearl rep by any means. Just wanted to be honest and yes you are right it is over priced. I noticed alot of people talking about it and thought I would pass along what I saw. I really like the pedal but it may not be for everyone. I'm at the show until it ends so if you want to know about something else let me know and I'll try to check it out for you. Thanks for letting me hang with cool people.

diosdude

Silver Member
It's got ninja bearings though. I think 689 for Ninja Bearing is WAY UNDERPRICED
LOL!! that's great! Seriously though, i wiki'ed "ninja bearing" expecting to see some technical breakthrough. Nothing. Ninja bearings are just a namebrand of some skateboard bearings that are supposedly superior to anything out there. Laughable. I'd like to hook them up to something really fast like an electric drill to test their tolerances vs other bearings. I can say with 100% certainty that no human body, not even tim watterson's, can produce enough speed to put these or any other bearing into structural failure. They hype it like it will add 100 bpm to your blast beat...

diosdude

Silver Member
While I'm at it, i posted on another thread, does this thing seperate into 2 identical single pedals like the trick? From the pics i've seen, i cant tell if the slave even has a spring attatched to it. Very important to this drummer since i play true double bass in my rehersal space but my playing out kit has only a single bass drum. I do like the clip for the "L" shaped drum key attached to the footboard of the Demon. i know they stole that idea from one of my previous posts on how to improve the Trick.

Tyrone1

Diosdude, from what I saw you can't separate the two and have two separate units. The pedal has twin springs on the master unit and none on the slave. I don't play a true double kick so I don't have that problem. For you this has to be deciding factor since you are a true double kick player.

timmdrum

Silver Member
I won't be getting one, 'cause it has no toestop, nor any way for one to be mounted.

I gotta have a toestop.

Last edited:

805Drummer

Gold Member
LOL!! that's great! Seriously though, i wiki'ed "ninja bearing" expecting to see some technical breakthrough. Nothing. Ninja bearings are just a namebrand of some skateboard bearings that are supposedly superior to anything out there. Laughable. I'd like to hook them up to something really fast like an electric drill to test their tolerances vs other bearings. I can say with 100% certainty that no human body, not even tim watterson's, can produce enough speed to put these or any other bearing into structural failure. They hype it like it will add 100 bpm to your blast beat...
I wonder what would happen if I used my brother's skateboard bearings to make a double pedal...

eddiehimself

Platinum Member
I wonder what would happen if I used my brother's skateboard bearings to make a double pedal...
Make sure they're ninja bearings first :p

Diosdude, i think most pedals can be converted to 2 singles, the difference is that some are a lot less work to do so because both pedals have chains rather than having a "master" and "slave" pedal. Also with my DW5000, i can put the beater on the slave pedal anyway.

Tyrone1, i'm sorry we prejudged you but i hope you understand that when someone sings their prases for pearl like that on their first and only post (look at the top corner of every post it tells you how many posts people have made) it does look a bit like you're spamming and that maybe you work for pearl?

pzimmerdrummer03

These pedals kick ass!!!
I tried em out at namm and seriously, they are not bullshitting you.
Its the perfect pedal. I want it.
Super responsive and super easy to play, they are almost effortless.

805Drummer

Gold Member
These pedals kick ass!!!
Super responsive and super easy to play, they are almost effortless.
These pedals kick ass!!!
Super responsive and super easy to play, they are almost...

Dude....Remo Black Suede Emperors for batters, ambassadors for the resonants.
Never had a better drum sound in my life....

I have had my mapex for over a year now, and they never cease to amaze me. All my bandmates also comment on the sound, often saying it is the best drum sound they have ever heard. I guess it all...

Wow, a product rep from Pearl, Remo, and Mapex! You must have one heck of a job!

yabasta!

another person at NAMM : )

it was fast, i want one kinda.

feels super fragile though, makes it light.

I don't know about it if you are a hard hitter though!

I have tried the Yamaha direct drive and that seemed to be a killer pedal and very strong, The Demon drive was faster and felt thin.

Thats my honest opinion.

805Drummer

Gold Member
I have tried the Yamaha direct drive and that seemed to be a killer pedal and very strong, The Demon drive was faster and felt thin.

Thats my honest opinion.
Don't tell her you said that! She's very self-conscious about that. The pearl-laden ladies at Pearl love to compare themselves to those rugged Yamaha men.

eddiehimself

Platinum Member
another person at NAMM : )

it was fast, i want one kinda.

feels super fragile though, makes it light.

I don't know about it if you are a hard hitter though!

Thats my honest opinion.
I guess it's probably a bit like a formula-one pedal. Fast, but fragile.

Construct

No, definitely not a Pearl rep by any means.

It is a funny............