Pearl Demon Drive

T

trkdrmr

I just got eliminator belt drive pedals the other day, they are one million times faster and smoother than my iron cobras were, !
WFD guys take note!
So on that scientific measurement, you could potentially play 280 million BPM with them!

Conversation at the WFD:

Q. "How fast can you play?"
A. "I used to top out at 280bpm with my iron cobras. But now, thanks to my Pearl eliminator belt drive, I play at 4.66 Megahertz!"

Last edited:

Construct

Well, I saw the YouTube video, and all I can think is;

The price tag better not demolish my wallet though.

T

trkdrmr

Well, I saw the YouTube video, and all I can think is;

The price tag better not demolish my wallet though.
It's house!

I am guessing that pearl will price them about like the Axis...or just above the DW 9000. I could be wrong, but I bet they are going to be a lot more than the standard elims.

T

trkdrmr

Well, we'll find out in 4 hours.
Oh wow, I was expecting to hear something well after NAMM. I am interested, because it does have all the features I like from axis/trick except for Trick's tension knobs.

If I had not gotten artist pricing on the trick bigfoot, I probably would have opted for the demon drive.

eddiehimself

Platinum Member
WFD guys take note!
So on that scientific measurement, you could potentially play 280 million BPM with them!

Conversation at the WFD:

Q. "How fast can you play?"
A. "I used to top out at 280bpm with my iron cobras. But now, thanks to my Pearl eliminator belt drive, I play at 4.66 Megahertz!"
"911- what's your emergency?"

"MY DRUMKIT IS ON FIRE!!!!"

"Your drumkit is on fire?"

"Yeah i was playing my new pearl demon drive pedals at about 1,000,000 BPM and the kick drum head just set alight!!!"

TRKDRMR i would definetly be interested in these if they were the same price as axis pedals but it will be a long time before i think about upgrading from my DWs, i've got to actually be able to play fast before i get some new pedals!

CBPEAVEY

I wonder if it will carry a similar price tag as the Axis and Trick direct-drive pedals, or if Pearl will follow Yamaha's more affordable approach? I picked up my Yamaha Flying Dragon pedals with direct-drive for just $250.
I agree. I would happily follow my direct drive Yamahas off the edge of a cliff! The hype almost got me and I was interested in it. But then when I saw the video I just thought it was a copy of all the other direct drive pedals. No offense to any Pearl devotees here but I think that pedal has just copied the looks of the Taye pedal and the ideas of Axis, Trick and Yamaha. But then again I could be completely wrong. I'll just have to wait until I get my feet on some.

T

trkdrmr

"911- what's your emergency?"

"MY DRUMKIT IS ON FIRE!!!!"

"Your drumkit is on fire?"

"Yeah i was playing my new pearl demon drive pedals at about 1,000,000 BPM and the kick drum head just set alight!!!"

TRKDRMR i would definetly be interested in these if they were the same price as axis pedals but it will be a long time before i think about upgrading from my DWs, i've got to actually be able to play fast before i get some new pedals!
:)

The think that irks me is the marketing approach. In the video, Pearl just suddenly touts how superior direct drive is. As if to say "Forget everything we said about chain drive. It's icky-pooh now and so 5-minutes ago. It's obsolete now because we want to sell you our new product."

My philosophies on pedals are...once you get to the level of a competent pedal (in my case, direct drive Gibraltars) the performance is on YOU. The Trick, Axis and this new demon drive represent a little refinement in some areas, but it's from 5%-30%, not a million fold improvement. A lot of the improvements are convenience and ergonomics, not just performance.

I might be a true believer if Mike Mangini gets one and suddenly blows down the WFD score by a substantial margin over what he could do on more conventional pedals.

GCG199

Yes, I was surprised by how expensive it was priced at from, what I have seen so far.

Hopefully the street price will be a lot better once they are available in the next few months.

I am glad I went with the Gibraltar Intruder direct-drives a couple of years ago.

Last edited:

TheMarkV

yeah, i don't know what to think. it seems like it would be pretty nice, maybe not for everyone, but nice nonetheless. i definitely want to try it out sometime.

805Drummer

Gold Member
When exactly does this thing come out? I'm looking to save up for a double pedal, and was considering the Trick, but if this thing is similar to it, and more affordable, I'll go with it.