Pearl Demon Drive bearings & maintenance

Chicken Eric

Hi all, I'm looking to swap out the old bearings in my 2009 Demon Drive double pedal (P-3002D). However, I can't figure out how to get to the bearing on the inner side of the beater - I can only get the outer one off by removing the axle sleeve. I might be able to get to it if I can remove the slave-side axle sleeve, but the screws are rusted and stripped (a problem I'm also dealing with, heh).

Anyone have any experience with taking one of these things apart? Google and YouTube have been very sparse with the kinds of specifics I'm looking for, so hopefully someone here will know!

I've attached an image showing the locations of the inner and outer bearings. The red circle is the inner bearing location (can't get to it); the green circle shows the outer bearing location (can get to).

Thanks!20220829_081904~2.jpg

C. Dave Run

Gold Member
You need to remove the allen screws here:
20220829_163708.jpg
This is what is keeping the hex shaft locked in place in combination with the spring perch. You will also need to loosen the beater holder.

C. Dave Run

Gold Member
Thanks for replying! I had taken those screws off initially but hesitated to go further when that part didn't budge. Guess I have no excuse now!
Everything holds everything in place, if that makes sense. All the stuff attached to the hex shaft keeps it in place. The linkage and heel joint holds the footboard in place, etc. So for anything to come out, everything directly attached to it must be undone.

Chicken Eric

Everything holds everything in place, if that makes sense. All the stuff attached to the hex shaft keeps it in place. The linkage and heel joint holds the footboard in place, etc. So for anything to come out, everything directly attached to it must be undone.
That does make sense. I'll admit I felt a little alarmed as I was taking things apart, which caused a cascade of... other things coming apart. So I'm happy to hear from someone more experienced that that IS how this pedal is designed.

Would you happen to have any advice for removing the tiny Allen screws that have been stripped on the axle sleeve? Penetrating oil worked for the rusted ones, but I'm afraid I'll need to buy a drill and a screw extractor for these.

C. Dave Run

Gold Member
Would you happen to have any advice for removing the tiny Allen screws that have been stripped on the axle sleeve? Penetrating oil worked for the rusted ones, but I'm afraid I'll need to buy a drill and a screw extractor for these.
I've had luck inserting a flat head screwdriver into a rounded allen head. I've also used a similar sized star bit with luck. With an allen screw that small, that's tough.

I'd probably just drill it, but am already equipped to do so.

Chicken Eric

I've had luck inserting a flat head screwdriver into a rounded allen head. I've also used a similar sized star bit with luck. With an allen screw that small, that's tough.

I'd probably just drill it, but am already equipped to do so.
Gotcha! I can't thank you enough for your recommendations and advice. I'll have to try everything and report back with what worked for me.