Pearl Decade question

Squirrel Man

So this Decade kit I have, and I forget the hardware terms, I think it's "opti-mount". The piece that's affixed to the tom that slides into the arm. Never used this system, the suspension tom mount system.

The tension rods go through a bracket that the tom is mounted on and slides into the arm.

I should post pics but I'm sure someone here has delt with it but even though my memory locks are memory locked and all that it's loose, like the mount wiggles a lot. I messed with it for a while and there seems no way to tighten it.

Am I doing something wrong?

iCe

The Decade Maple series have a 'new' suspension system called OptiLoc. Which i really don't get... you have it hanging in two points and still have one point where it is screwed to the shell, which IMO defeats the purpose of a free hanging shell. Anyway...

If the tom and the mount wiggle and the rest not; that is fine. You want a certain wobble in the drum when it's in the mount. It allows the shell to vibrate and resonate more. I don't have that mounting system, but if i look a the pic you should be able to move the mount up and down a bit if you loosen the the nut on the bottom mount that is screwed into the shell.That way the top 2 mounts will rest on or be more clamped to the lugs which should prevent wobble.

1596002342250.png

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Nothing wrong at all. My Midtown has the same mount. The bottom post that goes through the shell, if it comes loose the nut will make a weird vibration noise. You have to remove the head to tighten it. There is a nut on the inside you need to hold to tighten it.

Honestly I like the setup. It does what its supposed to. You can change the head with the mount on. It's small and doesnt look obnoxious.

C.M. Jones

Squirrel Man, I remove my Pearl mount systems from toms, but @MrInsanePolack's account is right on the money.

Question: You mentioned in another thread that your hoops were warped and bent upon arrival and that they required replacing. Did they come from Pearl's factory in that condition, or was your kit preowned? I'd be shocked if Pearl dispatched such severely defective parts.

Squirrel Man

Thanks for the replies.

I only notice the wiggle when I'm putting them on and off, they really don't visibly wiggle much when playing them but it's one of those designs that I don't get yet. The day I first got them and swapping out the heads (mounted) is when I realized somewhat how they were designed. I took the tension rods off the optiloc side and the tom fell forward a couple inches, that's when I realized I have to take the tom off the rack to swap heads out.

CM - how did you replace them? Just curious, I don't think I will yet but there's no hole in the drum for a mount, if I take that off (pic above) then I need some other mounting mechanism.

Again, all this is just mostly for my understanding of it before I start tearing it down and mess something up and thanks for the replies. This system is new to me.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
If you take them off, you either need to drill holes or get new suspension mounts. Pearl knows what they are doing. I've had my Midtown for like 5 years and the mount has no issues. Trust Pearl, they build drums for a living.

Oh and the tom mounts on the Optiloc can be removed, but their profile is almost flat so they probably wont sit flush on the shell.

Do you buy a brand new car and start ripping it apart without knowing also, or is this just a drum thing?

C.M. Jones

CM - how did you replace them? Just curious, I don't think I will yet but there's no hole in the drum for a mount, if I take that off (pic above) then I need some other mounting mechanism.
I don't replace Pearl's Optiloc mounts once I remove them. I play a one-up, one-down kit with my tom in a snare stand. No mounts for me at all.

Squirrel Man

If you take them off, you either need to drill holes or get new suspension mounts. Pearl knows what they are doing. I've had my Midtown for like 5 years and the mount has no issues. Trust Pearl, they build drums for a living.

Oh and the tom mounts on the Optiloc can be removed, but their profile is almost flat so they probably wont sit flush on the shell.

Do you buy a brand new car and start ripping it apart without knowing also, or is this just a drum thing?
Just a me getting used to it and understanding it thing outside of my anal retentiveness.

I'm asking the pros for a reason.

;)

Squirrel Man

There was a thread somewhere more appropriate for this but I can't find it.

Anyway, 14 inch tom came in today but the stand mounting hardware for the 10 inch tom that I want to put off to the right of the kit hasn't. Been farting around with it today and GAH!

10 inch tom is going somewhere on the right where I can fit it, cymbals, don't know yet.

First world problems...

C.M. Jones

I don't understand that and I'm curious.
There's no great mystery behind it. I've never liked toying with tom mounts, and I've always preferred the look of a tom in a snare stand. My bass drum is virgin. My ride cymbal, on a boom stand, extends about halfway over one side of my bass drum. My 12-inch tom, in a snare stand, extends slightly over the other side. Thus, my ride and 12-inch tom somewhat meet in the center of my bass drum. Pretty simple.

Squirrel Man

There's no great mystery behind it. I've never liked toying with tom mounts, and I've always preferred the look of a tom in a snare stand. My bass drum is virgin. My ride cymbal, on a boom stand, extends about halfway over one side of my bass drum. My 12-inch tom, in a snare stand, extends slightly over the other side. Thus, my ride and 12-inch tom somewhat meet in the center of my bass drum. Pretty simple.
That's kind of what I was figuring.

I know my piece is a bit scattered but eh, I'm working on things and I need things to work on. I'll probably pare it down at some point but for now that's what I want to do.

It's all good.

:)

Angus Macinnes

I went another way. Bought the Ludwig Atlas Mounting console and mounted my up tom using that system and it has stayed put for some time now. Just had to replace 2 bass drum lugs with the Ludwig lugs and one of the tom lugs for the Ludwig lug for the mount. I also replaced a 3rd bass drum lug with the Ludwig lug and now have a cymbal mounted to the Bass drum.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
There was a thread somewhere more appropriate for this but I can't find it.

Anyway, 14 inch tom came in today but the stand mounting hardware for the 10 inch tom that I want to put off to the right of the kit hasn't. Been farting around with it today and GAH!

10 inch tom is going somewhere on the right where I can fit it, cymbals, don't know yet.

First world problems...

Something a lot of people do is put the throne down and just sit on it. Where your feet naturally go, that's where you put your pedals. Drop the snare in place and that's your base. Everything builds around this.