Pearl cx-200 Cymbal Set - Hi-hat sounds like empty metal bucket

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
How can i fix this?

But some actual hi hat cymbals.

There really isn't any way to make a bad cymbal sound good, which is why most people here go out of their way to strongly suggest that it is better to save up for good pro/semi pro cymbals even if it means you have to buy them one at a time.

I'd also suggest buying used if at all possible. There a lot of good cymbal deal to be found on eBay if you are patient and persistant.

Terrence R

Silver Member
New hats is the only way to fix that problem. You could always hang the pearl hats on the wall in your jam space...

Terrence R

Silver Member
Pff. I have about 100 $ for hihat cymbals. What's your suggestions?

Used Sabian Xs20 hats will be the best bang for your buck. They can be bought cheap and sound better than a lot of higher end hats IMO.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Sabian xs 20 hats vary wildly in sound so they should only be bought, after being played in person.

Zildjian New Beats are excellent hats.They are the benchmark for what hi hats should sound like and can be had used for around 100 a pair.

Those Pearl hats are a lost cause.Nothing you can do will make them sound any better.

Steve B

ZackClemence

I looked around, but i don't find sabian xs20 hats. And zildijan new beats are so expensive. But i see this;

Zildjian 13" Planet Z PZ13PR Hihats (80$) Do you think it's nice to get?

I'm not looking very good sound, just not corrupt hats.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I think a used pair of New Beat hats are your best bet too. I agree totally that they are THE benchmark hi hat sound, and because there are so many of them out there in the used market it should make it pretty easy to find a set that'll work out for you.

DrummerBoy95

I'd advise you to stay away from Planet Zs and the like, even if the price may seem attractive, because you will end up regretting the investment shortly, even if you do not mind your hi hat sound at the moment. You'd be better off just being a little patient, a good deal has got to pop up some time soon :) buy used, and as they have mentioned, it's hard to go wrong with New Beats. Are you looking on ebay/craiglist in the States? Just by doing a quick search, you'll find a variety of hi hats that my suit your available cash.

simmsdn

Silver Member
I looked around, but i don't find sabian xs20 hats. And zildijan new beats are so expensive. But i see this;

I'm not looking very good sound, just not corrupt hats.

Those are just as bad as what you have. $80 for them is a complete rip off.

I've done a quick on look on ebay and see New Beats and Sabian AA Regular Hats for $90-125 all over the place. You don't seem to be doing any work on your own to find cymbals.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/13-zildjian...808?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ac6980a68

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZILDJIAN-14...=Vintgae_Drums_Percussion&hash=item232d1fa976

http://www.ebay.com/itm/zildjian-Ne...382?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a82e47cb6

Start bidding...

Terrence R

Silver Member
I JUST got off of ebay.com. There's a set of 14" new beats that are in excellent condition and the highest bid is currently $41. Like simmsdn said, start bidding. If you don't do the required work to find some good hats for a good price, well, you'll be stuck with those garbage hats that u have now...

DrummerBoy95

Those are just as bad as what you have. $80 for them is a complete rip off.

I've done a quick on look on ebay and see New Beats and Sabian AA Regular Hats for $90-125 all over the place. You don't seem to be doing any work on your own to find cymbals.

Agreed, which is why I am curious about whether he is aware of Ebay or not. I can only assume he isn't, because these New Beat hats are all over the place.

ZackClemence

Ebay is so far away from me. I'm from Türkey. When i bough a goods on ebay, have like 25 days arrivel time to me. But i have no choice now i think :)

Nobartholem

Used Sabian Xs20 hats will be the best bang for your buck. They can be bought cheap and sound better than a lot of higher end hats IMO.

I have Xs20 Hats (and all my other cymbals, hehe) and they are probably the best cymbal for intermediate budget players.

They are definitely performance quality, and they are relatively inexpensive. I love my cymbals :3

DrummerBoy95

Man, drive to Istanbul and buy your cymbals there! You live in the home of cymbals!

^^^ May have a point here, although if you're looking for cymbals under 100$, it might not be as easy as it seems. I imagined you don't have access to ebay, and I understand, I live in Peru (South America) and there is little, if any market for second hand instruments, let alone decent quality cymbals. Just try and be patient, something might pop up in your local store, or try asking around, some drummer has got to have a pair of hi hats lying around :)
Good luck.