Pearl Compact Traveller with mesh heads?

jotadrums

I am planning to get a Pearl Compact Traveller kit, I live in an apartment and rehearsal in a corner of a tiny room.

But as far as I know, decibels with a Pearl Compact Traveller in a block of apartments may be an issue. Are the heads interchangeable? I'd better go for mesh heads and Remo Ring Control in the bass drum and the snare.

Is this possible? Any opinion?

Regards...

jotadrums

Ok, Thomann answered already. It turns out that the heads are interchangeable and you can set mesh heads if you wish.:love::love:(y)(y)(y)

As for the Ring Controls from Remo, they did not provide an answer...:unsure::rolleyes:...and suggested me to try out. It's not a big deal, since a 10" Remo Ring Control is about €9 ($10.60), so I will probably order a Compact Traveller kit by the end of November.

Anyway...has anyone tried to fit the Remo Ring Control?

jotadrums

Anyway...has anyone tried to fit the Remo Ring Control?

----Answering myself. Again.

An issue arises on this. The strands of the snare drums are half-diameter, and keep in direct touch with the bottom side of the snare head.

strands.png

So, apart from replacing the head with any other (mesh or not), it is not possible to mount anything in between the head and the strands, just because they are in contact in order to provide the snare sound.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
----Answering myself. Again.

An issue arises on this. The strands of the snare drums are half-diameter, and keep in direct touch with the bottom side of the snare head.

View attachment 97754

So, apart from replacing the head with any other (mesh or not), it is not possible to mount anything in between the head and the strands, just because they are in contact in order to provide the snare sound.
Okay I'll try to be constructive. Mesh heads are gonna do away with the snare sound for the most part. The little wires might actually get stuck in the mesh also. If it was me, I would use the mesh head and put some tape/dot material under the head for the wires to come in contact with. This will make use of the mesh head and still keep the snare sound.

As far as sound off material on a mesh head, that doesnt seem right. Mutes and such tame the head. So does 10,000 tiny holes in the head. Think about a screen door. You can knock on the screen and its quiet. If you put duct tape all over the edges of the screen and knock again nothing new happens. It seems like pointless overkill to me.

jotadrums

Okay I'll try to be constructive. [...].
---Thanks for your reply, MrInsanePolack; I really appreciate it. I ended up ordering the Traveler kit in its basic configuration plus a 10" mesh head and pair of sticks. Period.

As for the "...the little wires might actually get stuck in the mesh also." thing, this seems to be possibly true. I will check and go for duct tape should issues with the mesh/strands arise.

How long do you think this thread will get before anyone but yourself replies?! :unsure: 😂 👍
----Turned out to be less than expected... :ROFLMAO: :sneaky:(y) Regards!!!

jotadrums

What is one supposed to exchange the stock head on a pctk once it is kaput?
-----The stock heads (both snare and bass) will definitely have to be changed if you are seriously practicing in an flat with neighbours. Otherwise the Traveler is too noisy.:):);) (y)