Pearl CHB830 question

roncadillac

I'm looking at adding a bass drum mounted cymbal holder to my pearl midtown kit. I purchased the Gibraltar vintage style bass drum cymbal mount but I haven't installed it because where the cymbal arm connects to the L arm is only held in place by a wingnut putting pressure on a knurled rod... I'm not a basher but I don't trust this to hold a ride cymbal without loosening so I just set it aside (still new if anyone wants it haha).

I'm looking at pearl's version, the chb830, and I think it uses the wingnut on the cymbal arm to compress a sleeve (like most modern cymbal stands) which is much stronger and more reliable then simply having the wingnut push against the knurled rod. Problem is I can't find pics on the underside of the arm nor have found one locally to look at/handle. Does anyone know?

My previous tama club jam kit had one of these bass drum mounted cymbal holders and it used a plastic compression sleeve inside the arm that was 'activated' by the wing nut and that thing was rock solid.

I don't want to spend $60+ on this pearl arm and find out it's just like the Gibraltar version, a wingnut pushing on a knurled rod.

Last edited:

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
The Gibraltar and Pearl are both clamshell designs. I haven't seen one that has a wingnut pushing directly on the rod, besides actual vintage mounts. Is it older? I installed a Gibraltar SC-GBDCA on a Whitehall kit that was missing the original arm and mount, because it matched the hole spacing. Unfortunately Gibraltar does not provide, or make for that matter, a 9.5mm memory lock. Luckily I had some Ludwig 9.5mm memory locks on hand. I have a 2985g Zildjian K Custom Dry Ride on there now and it does not budge.

The Pearl does look more robust and better in every way though.

I'll take a pic of mine later today when I get to that kit. Gotta paddle back and get these fish cleaned first.

Last edited:

roncadillac

The Gibraltar and Pearl are both clamshell designs. I haven't seen one that has a wingnut pushing directly on the rod, besides actual vintage mounts. Is it older? I installed a Gibraltar SC-GBDCA on a Whitehall kit that was missing the original arm and mount, because it matched the hole spacing. Unfortunately Gibraltar does not provide, or make for that matter, a 9.5mm memory lock. Luckily I had some Ludwig 9.5mm memory locks on hand. I have a 2985g Zildjian K Custom Dry Ride on there now and it does not budge.

The Pearl does look more robust and better in every way though.

I'll take a pic of mine later today when I get to that kit. Gotta paddle back and get these fish cleaned first.
Thanks, I meant on the cymbal arm itself (the long pipe that holds the cymbal tilter on one end and the hole to slide on the L arm on the other end) not the mounting bracket. I'm not concerned about the mounting bracket itself slipping but I am worried about the cymbal arm itself not staying attached to the L arm and slipping down.

roncadillac

Have you thought about a clamp and small boom arm flown off the tom arm? Might be more cost effective and no drill required.
I have but my first and biggest problem is that I keep my drums low but my pearl midtown riser pretty high so my 7/8" pearl L arm that holds the tom is bottomed out in the mount so I have nowhere to attach the clamp. I don't mind drilling because I never intend on selling this kit and even if I did, it won't have much resale value anyway (bought it new for $600, I'd be lucky to get even $300) and that is an additional reason I'm looking at the pearl because it matches the rest of the kit. Cost effective isn't a concern, I have no problem spending $60+ for what is essentially 1/3 of a stand (lol) as long as it meets my needs.

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
Thanks, I meant on the cymbal arm itself (the long pipe that holds the cymbal tilter on one end and the hole to slide on the L arm on the other end) not the mounting bracket. I'm not concerned about the mounting bracket itself slipping but I am worried about the cymbal arm itself not staying attached to the L arm and slipping down.
I see. Same story there; I used a memory lock. The Pearl does appear to be the the tube of a cymbal stand upside down, so it should have the nylon bushing.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
How about a Pearl flat based straight cymbal stand for $58?

I seriously tried the shell mount cymbal holder but then I found times when I wanted the cymbal a little farther out for a good healthy swing, or higher ip OR lower down than a shell mount bracket would be able to accommodate.

roncadillac

How about a Pearl flat based straight cymbal stand for $58?

I seriously tried the shell mount cymbal holder but then I found times when I wanted the cymbal a little farther out for a good healthy swing, or higher ip OR lower down than a shell mount bracket would be able to accommodate.
Yes, that is a back up option. I am used to the specific placement of my ride and rarely deviate from that. For years I played with my ride right in front of my over the middle of my bass drum with my 2 and 3 pc kits. I like to keep everything as tight as possible.

vyacheslav

You can also use a different bracket with an eye-bolt. Here's one from drum factory direct for less than $10 and is exactly the same as the equivalent Gibraltar bracket, just cheaper. Still only drilling two small holes. Way sturdier with the eye bolt. You can even replace the wing nut on the eye bolt with a coupling nut and you can use a wrench to really tighten it up if you want. You can also get a memory lock from either Gibraltar or dfd that fits this exactly.

Also, the DW claw hook clamp works really well. It holds very securely. You can put it wherever you want with no drilling! I use them and they work great and no problems with security. You can also leave them attached to the hoop and they still fit in cases/bags no problem. Also pretty inexpensive.

vyacheslav

You can always use a standard automotive hose clamp as a defacto memory lock for that. Cheap, easy and secure!

roncadillac

Well, pearl customer service got back to me. This part does in fact have a plastic compression sleeve, they even opened one in their warehouse and took a pic for me. Great customer service!

roncadillac

Update:

I just purchased the pearl chb830 bass drum cymbal mount from DCP. $62, free shipping, and the order was pulled for packing within 5 minutes, it should be in the mail tomorrow. Great service and the best price I've seen on this part, considering I also purchased my pearl midtown from DCP I'm very pleased to give them the return business.

roncadillac

Well, good news/bad news situation here. I received my shipment today, very quick, unfortunately I was shorted the mounting bracket and was sent just the cymbal arm itself. I went back and double checked the listing on their website to make sure I didn't misread it and sure enough it says two times that it includes the mounting bracket:

"Mount a ride or crash over your kick drum by attaching it TO your kick drum! The Pearl Bass Drum mount cymbal holder features a multi-height gearless cymbal tilter that attaches to an included Reference-style shell bracket. Using the included drilling diagram, the bracked becomes a permanent part of your bass drum that allows for secure multi-angle cymbal mounting. It's old-school feel with new-school mounting security! We measured this, and at it's lowest setting with the tilter straight up, the height is 16.5 inches. At it's highest, it's about 24. The hole spacing for the bracket is 1 7/8" inches.

• Gearless Uni-lock Cymbal Tilter
  • Adjustable Cymbal Height And Angle
  • Includes Reference-style LB200 Mounting Bracket"
I sent an email to DCP with a picture. I'll update if/when I get a response.

roncadillac

They got right back to me, very apologetic, and are taking care of it. I didn't expect any less, their communication is always great and they have an excellent reputation for customer service. I think this was a minor packing mistake, it is a crazy time in the world for retail.