Pearl BLX

gish

I have an opportunity to score an 80s Sequoia Red BLX 12-16-22 for under $200. Looks like a steal to me; kick drum hoop rash and a few missing screws/bolts. Seems like a can’t miss; anyone have any experience with these drums?

...anyone have any experience with these drums?

Only by reputation and previous experience with other Pearl drums. I don't think you could go wrong. The BLX were high end kits and the Sequoia Red is a fantastic finish. One of my 80s dream kits was a BLX in Sheer Blue.

I had a 6 piece BLX in sheer blue lacquer and it was a great set! Very punchy sounding and usual Pearl bulletproof build quality.

I had a Pearl BLX in the '90s. Great drums. You won't regret the purchase, especially not at that price.

And 12,16, 22 is my current Session Studio Select setup. Those have been my dimensions of choice for years. Very versatile.

If you don’t buy it, let me know where it is so I can! That’s a great deal. One of my all time favorite lines from Pearl.

While not BLX, my brother plays a red 80s MLX (the maple counterpart to BLX) and it is a fantastic kit.

While not BLX, my brother plays a red 80s MLX (the maple counterpart to BLX) and it is a fantastic kit.
The kit I’m looking at is also sequoia red. Man, I do NOT need another kit, but this may be too good to pass up at that price. Looks like when gigs start up again in my area most will be outside. Thought right away this kit would be a perfect outdoor gig kit; keep my nicer Starclassics for indoor jobs. Decisions, decisions.

The kit I’m looking at is also sequoia red. Man, I do NOT need another kit, but this may be too good to pass up at that price. Looks like when gigs start up again in my area most will be outside. Thought right away this kit would be a perfect outdoor gig kit; keep my nicer Starclassics for indoor jobs. Decisions, decisions.

As long as the kit is straight it's a great deal. When else have you been able to pick up a birch kit for $200? To be the beater kit no less. We all should be so lucky!

Man, I do NOT need another kit, but this may be too good to pass up at that price.

In that case, I wouldn't get it. A good deal becomes a bad deal when you have no need for a product. Spending money on something you might not use is tantamount to throwing money away. What necessities could you devote the funds to? A new cymbal? A set of heads? Sticks? Your money might be better off appropriated elsewhere.

In that case, I wouldn't get it. A good deal becomes a bad deal when you have no need for a product. Spending money on something you might not use is tantamount to throwing money away. What necessities could you devote the funds to? A new cymbal? A set of heads? Sticks? Your money might be better off appropriated elsewhere.

While 99% of the time I agree with this 100%, sometimes things just fall into your lap you cant pass up. I once bought a Jackson Rhodes V custom shop guitar in almost perfect shape with hard case for $175. I couldn't pass it up. When I needed $$$ down the line, I was able to sell it for twice what I paid in less than a day.

While 99% of the time I agree with this 100%, sometimes things just fall into your lap you cant pass up. I once bought a Jackson Rhodes V custom shop guitar in almost perfect shape with hard case for $175. I couldn't pass it up. When I needed $$$ down the line, I was able to sell it for twice what I paid in less than a day.

Resale intentions are certainly an exception. Sometimes the original seller doesn't know the value of his holdings, and you can get them at a fraction of their worth and make a profit by flipping them. I would only proceed with discipline in that game. It's easy to say you intend to sell what you're purchasing, only to end up with a warehouse full of unused equipment a decade later. That's a predicament I'd never want to be in.

Love the BLX & MLX. Fantastic kits & Sequoia is my favourite finish. Have restored 3 now. You mention missing screws & bolts.... Am I guessing right that they are missing lug fixings inside the shells? These drums suffer from metal fatigue of the lug castings & I have yet to come across a kit that has not suffered. Spare lugs are available though & a lot do convert them to Masters Lugs. I prefer the originals though :)

Back