Pearl 75th Anniversary

World's most recorded, most hits, most grammies drummer had his identical drumkit pair custom made - from plastic (GRP).
But did he pay $3500 for it? I bet not.

I do like the fact that they used a clear CS, that works well on a mic'ed stave snare.

But also interesting, that they used the CS, instead of a custom-made head like the Jon Robinson nail signature.

This snare featured a head that was made to reveal the special build, but kept a coated larger playing field (which sounds better than the CS in general to me)

1618048439465.png

DW has this too with the Clear Edge heads, also made by Remo:
1618048675437.png

Last edited:
I do like the fact that they used a clear CS, that works well on a mic'ed stave snare.

But also interesting, that they used the CS, instead of a custom-made head like the Jon Robinson nail signature.

This snare featured a head that was made to reveal the special build, but kept a coated larger playing field (which sounds better than the CS in general to me)

View attachment 103239

DW has this too with the Clear Edge heads, also made by Remo:
View attachment 103240
Cool! I’ve honestly not seen those before (I’m a staunch coated Ambassador guy for snares and clear pinstripes on toms!)... (y)

I don't like the look of the font on the bass drum head. It looks like 3 different fonts

Behold, the most expensive Luan drums ever. They do have a unique tone that sounds exactly like I hear a cheap Stencil kit sounding in my head. Nothing made after 1990 sounds quite like them.

I find it interesting they came with black dot heads. That's very telling. It suggests that Pearl tried them with standard clears and coated, but they found them to have too much warmth and not enough attack.

Last edited:
Behold, the most expensive Luan drums ever. They do have a unique tone that sounds exactly like I hear a cheap Stencil kit sounding in my head. Nothing made after 1990 sounds quite like them.

I find it interesting they came with black dot heads. That's very telling. It suggests that Pearl tried them with standard clears and coated, but they found them to have too much warmth and not enough attack.

Besides the snare, they don’t sound that good to me. Which is really puzzling because I found them sounding lovely in previous videos.

Besides the snare, they don’t sound that good to me. Which is really puzzling because I found them sounding lovely in previous videos.
All the videos you saw before were probably Pearl marketing videos. They are almost never to be trusted, no matter the company.

I don't think they sound that great either. They are the drum equivalent of the color beige.

All the videos you saw before were probably Pearl marketing videos. They are almost never to be trusted, no matter the company.

I don't think they sound that great either. They are the drum equivalent of the color beige.
I can definitely admit that the majority were marketing. It’s a shame because I was interesting in it before.

Behold, the most expensive Luan drums ever. They do have a unique tone that sounds exactly like I hear a Stencil kit sounding in my head. Nothing made after 1990 sounds quite like them.

Yep!
Pearl is not just any stencil manufacturer. They parented many under their umbrella.

Just like Yamaha, they built their own sound and innovation using luan.
Hoshino eventually purchased patent rights from Camco before launching Tama.

Decades before venturing towards the early 60s rock craze, Pearl was making quality concert and marching percussion instruments.

Pearl’s luan is specifically known by most to have a specific thud to their sound. Aaron Sterling and Eric Singer both recognize this.
The innovation around luan is what made them who they are.
It is Pearl, who are the prototype that stencils were likened to.

For the cs dot reference, if you were to look in the Pearl cats from 60-70s, you’d ALMOST always find a cs dot. It’s consistent to which their manufacturing, quality and marketing has been all along.

Last edited:
I saw £1500 for a 3 piece made of Luan. You don't even get US remo heads! Want a snare it's £300 more.

As someone who took a Midtown all over the place, never had any problems and loved the kit I think isn't this kit the same wood, same bearing edges with a different wrap and lugs but about 4 times the price?

For that price you can get a very nice used masters and have a kit for life.

Back