Pearl 75th Anniversary

Ransan

I saw £1500 for a 3 piece made of Luan. You don't even get US remo heads! Want a snare it's £300 more.

As someone who took a Midtown all over the place, never had any problems and loved the kit I think isn't this kit the same wood, same bearing edges with a different wrap and lugs but about 4 times the price?

For that price you can get a very nice used masters and have a kit for life.
Not exactly.

Most entry level kits are now made with poplar, so with luan it’s a limited supply thing.

Luan was used widely in Asia as their new hardwood.

Tama eventually also settled on luan.
If Cope, Beard, etc... were using Imperial stars in 70s early 80s, they seemingly did fine with luan, Tama just hid the luan splints with their “Zola Coat” interior spread.

Luan has since been entirely replaced by poplar. I.e. Midtown, Tama entry levels.

Not sure when or why luan was removed from shell lineup.

I will defer to @harryconway 🙏 and I’ll go sit on the carpet by my buddies ready to learn 🤫

someguy01

luan it’s a limited supply thing.
136 of the 148 species of Shorea are either critically endangered or endangered, this would leave only 12 available to harvest for timber.
Of those 148 species, none of them are labeled as Pearl. :unsure:
Pearl’s luan is specifically known by most to have a specific thud

Ransan

136 of the 148 species of Shorea are either critically endangered or endangered, this would leave only 12 available to harvest for timber.
Of those 148 species, none of them are labeled as Pearl. :unsure:
Thanks - I didn’t mean to confuse.

I don’t mean Pearl as luan species - I mean in the sense as proprietors of their material composition.

Remember it is they who farmed and distributed their shells (sans hardware) that became the stencil formula.

Last edited:

Justinhub2003

I don't even like Pearl Drums but I just to impulse buy these drums because of how cool they look.

Al Strange

As the intoxicated birthday boy lies face down on the beer can strewn lawn after a damn fine party, @IBitePrettyHard gate crashes the event and gives the aforementioned birthday boy a damn good shoeing...many Pearl revellers stand on the sidelines, watching on incredulously, too shocked at his blasphemous conduct to constructively intervene... :unsure: 😂

Ransan

Agreed. But couldn't they have priced it at $699?
Your asking the wrong folks.

Regarding the President series, they were Pearl’s Flagship series at the time.

Yes there’s obvious pride in that.

The President outfit had upgraded hardware to ‘deluxe’ series as opposed to ‘standard’ and the lesser ‘popular’ series of hardware.

This hardware was adjustable I.e Rogers swivo tom mounts as opposed to the static plate and bracket mounts on rails that many a stencil kit dawned. They outfitted with modern vintage hardware such as internal retractable gull wing spurs, C-043 tom and C-050 bass drum battleship lugs, badging, ride cymbal mount bracket, etc....

Pearl really went out and brought back vintage appointments specifically.

If they rolled out their original patented cast and die machines for recreating hardware, there’s obvious labor and possible onboarding.

Last edited:

someguy01

Armor of Light

I had a set of Sessions in the '90s. Of all the Pearl kits I've owned, it might be the one I'd like to have back the most. I love my current Sessions too, of course, but the '90s kits were special in their own right. Like the Sessions of today, they had a sound all their own.
I sold mine to a guy named Joey Rains from Texas...hoping you know him, and I can buy it back!

Mirror Chrome. 6 piece. Oh...that bass drum. I miss that sound and have been trying to match it ever since.