Pearl 75th Anniversary

Ransan

Holy smokes! Pearl is on to something here.
Thanks for the vid @Al Strange, that clarifies things for me.

Between the two series, the Phenolic being their plasti-fiber shells or the Deluxe with luan.
I love the look of the Phenolic toms, they had a hard plastic fiber for smooth shell look and feel, sharp bearing edges, their selling point was water resistant, and durability to never go out of round.
I would probably go with that over the luan Deluxe.

A few years ago, when I set out to get a kit ala Peter Criss I wanted the Pearl Phenolic with Eight Brothers configuration, (that’s what they call
their complete melodic concert tom kit, like Ludwig Octaplus).

By the way Eric Singer is such a great rep/musician, in most his videos he will geek out over Pearl’s nuance, and I can appreciate that, cause I do as well

No way. Vari-Pitch drums were the worst.

Why do you think this is a bad idea?
Well to both your credits, the Vari pitch shells were made with Phenolic technology so there’s that commonality, they’re polarizing no doubt.

someguy01

ever hear of the vistalite?
Big difference in manufacturing a seamless acrylic (extrusion) vs pouring liquid plastic into a mold.
Also, I can get a 5 piece vistalite in Bonham sizes for the same price as the Pearl 3 piece, and I get the matching snare.

C.M. Jones

Before switching to a wood-only format for snares, I had a 14"x5" aluminum Sensitone. "Dry, focused pop," the words the video's narrator uses to characterize the aluminum model, is a dead-on description. I sometimes miss that drum, though I still, as a rule, like wood snares more.

Last edited:

Al Strange

Before switching to a wood-only format for snares, I had a 14"x5" aluminum Sensitone. "Dry, focused pop," the words the video's narrator uses to describe the aluminum model, is a dead-on description. I sometimes miss that drum, though I still, as a rule, like wood snares more.
Yes, I love my Prem 2000 COA for that very reason... I’ve owned that drum for 33 years! As you know, I’m predominantly a metal snare guy. (y) :)

incrementalg

Gold Member
Mike Miley will be repping this series on the new Rival sons album and tour. He moved from Gretsch (Brooklyn’s I believe) so he must really like them.

Fritz Frigursson

Big difference in manufacturing a seamless acrylic (extrusion) vs pouring liquid plastic into a mold.
Also, I can get a 5 piece vistalite in Bonham sizes for the same price as the Pearl 3 piece, and I get the matching snare.
Pearl “makes” acrylic shells that are 1500 dollars cheaper than vistalites, what’s going on there? are classic lugs worth 1500 dollars now? i mean they’re both seamless acrylic shells.

incrementalg

Gold Member
or maybe pearl pays more than gretsch
I think it’s more likely Pearl can provide better tour support. Rival Sons plays a lot of gigs around the world. I read an article in Drum! Magazine where they talk about realities of drum endorsements. Pearls artist relations guy talked about Pearls ability to get gear to an artist pretty much anywhere if they need it. Shipping your own rig across the pond for a gig or short tour is expensive and time consuming. The artist relations guys all unanimously agreed artist generally don’t get paid.

someguy01

Pearl “makes” acrylic shells that are 1500 dollars cheaper than vistalites, what’s going on there? are classic lugs worth 1500 dollars now? i mean they’re both seamless acrylic shells.
Differing grades of acrylic, most likely. Doesn't really matter to me, all of them are overpriced for being plastic. I'll never spend more than $1000 for drums as a matter of principle, so it's moot.
I thought perhaps being Luan and a 3pc, those Pearls would make the cut.

Fritz Frigursson

Differing grades of acrylic, most likely. Doesn't really matter to me, all of them are overpriced for being plastic. I'll never spend more than $1000 for drums as a matter of principle, so it's moot.
I thought perhaps being Luan and a 3pc, those Pearls would make the cut.
I mean is there really a difference... I'm never going to buy an acrylic kit as a main kit since I don't like see-through stuff and the visuals are just not for me. I just think that for what they are, Vistalites are massively overpriced. Crystal Beats just on the limit of what I'd pay for an acrylic kit. I would much rather get a classic maple or absolute hybrids.

Lennytoons

I completely refurbished two 1968 Pearl Deluxe kits. One is in red sparkle the other is Tiger Eye Pearl. No other kit I've ever played sounds like these. I put Remo pinstripes on the Tiger Eyes and coated Ambassadors on the red sparkles. The red ones also have stick saver hoops. One is deep fat and juicy and the other has a classic(Ludwig) sound. Glad to see these kits out there. I love mine. I also have a '96 Pearl Session Series kit and they sound completely different. They are quieter and record beautifully with slightly more attack.

Treverer

Mike Miley will be repping this series on the new Rival sons album and tour. He moved from Gretsch (Brooklyn’s I believe) so he must really like them.
I watched his Instagram live explanation, but I still don't get it. DW's support for a touring drummer can't be that much worse than Pearl's. I found his Broadkasters so much more fitting to their style of music... Strange move all in all.

C.M. Jones

Yes, I've heard that they were in a lot of Nashville studios back in the day. In fact. Mine came from a recording studio.
I had a set of Sessions in the '90s. Of all the Pearl kits I've owned, it might be the one I'd like to have back the most. I love my current Sessions too, of course, but the '90s kits were special in their own right. Like the Sessions of today, they had a sound all their own.