Peace....

JohnnyG

Honorary Lifetime CEO
Staff member
Two years ago I attempted to relinguish my duties as a Mod. because I felt like I was doing very well administering what I consider a comprehensive, but fair set of rules for the forum, but at every turn was met with comments about discriminating, misreading posts, assuming things, etc. Bernhard asked me to stay until we found someone to take my place. That never happened, so I stayed. Now, I don't feel much different and it is no longer worth the battle. To see mostly grown men, not be able to have a discussion without wandering off subject, or being offended by someone elses opinion, was no longer worth. In my time here, I have locked 5 threads. 2 of them were re-opened, including one from a few days ago. I wasn't chosen for the job for my drumming skills or for my talent of making friends, or being afraid to offend a friend by enforcing the forum rules. I was chosen for my administration skills and organization. The biggest issue is members refusal to follow rules. No matter how petty they may appear when first read. All one has to do is look at the number of members of the site, and the number of people who have read the rules. "Those rules are for other people." I have tried to do my moderating by use of PM, and not out in the open, although at times I have done so in public so others will understand the situation, and understand my side of the rule. I understand I am not perfect, and that some of my rulings may not have been correct. I have been overruled more than once, and understood why, and moved on. Whether i do, or did a good job is not for me to decide, but you, the members, and Bernhard. I understand the world has become a bit more liberal place since the rules were first written, and a few have been changed or modified. My attempt was to only rule as they were written, and not try to hard to interpret.

To those of you who disagree, you needn't worry. I did retire, but again said I would pop in once in a while to help out. Today, I retire. Have fun, try not to give Bernhard, Jon, Andy and Larry the respect they have earned and try not to act like you've been stabbed in the heart if one of your threads or posts are moderated. Peace.

That's ridiculous. No reason to cut out on one person's comment. You and Andy told me that in the past for much worse, so ditto!

Last edited:
Damn !!! Bad way to start the day.

What’s getting into everyone today? :unsure: Mate, I reckon you should revisit this:

Only you can determine what's right for YOU Gruntersdad. Everyone has a limit of what is or isn't tolerable/acceptable. Can you stay on as the everyday contributor so we can help with a snare problem or a shingle problem with your roof?. You know you can ask anything here..well? usually. This is kinda sad but we back you in any move you make cause your just 😎 cool.

Moderating anything is a challenging and often thankless job. Thank you for your work here. I hope you‘ll stick around for a lighter experience. FWIF I like that the threads get off topic. It’s like any natural conversation. I’m certainly guilty of doing it.

Some shoot the messenger it seems. It doesn’t matter who the administrators are they just agreed to enforce rules. It’s nothing personal. Do people make mistakes-sure all equally guilty. Apologize and move on- nothing that happens in this forum is significant in the greater scheme of life.

Moderating anything is a challenging and often thankless job. Thank you for your work here. I hope you‘ll stick around for a lighter experience. FWIF I like that the threads get off topic. It’s like any natural conversation. I’m certainly guilty of doing it.
You might not like it if it's your thread that gets hijacked. Have you even started any threads?
Two years ago I attempted to relinguish my duties as a Mod. because I felt like I was doing very well administering what I consider a comprehensive, but fair set of rules for the forum, but at every turn was met with comments about discriminating, misreading posts, assuming things, etc. Bernhard asked me to stay until we found someone to take my place. That never happened, so I stayed. Now, I don't feel much different and it is no longer worth the battle. To see mostly grown men, not be able to have a discussion without wandering off subject, or being offended by someone elses opinion, was no longer worth. In my time here, I have locked 5 threads. 2 of them were re-opened, including one from a few days ago. I wasn't chosen for the job for my drumming skills or for my talent of making friends, or being afraid to offend a friend by enforcing the forum rules. I was chosen for my administration skills and organization. The biggest issue is members refusal to follow rules. No matter how petty they may appear when first read. All one has to do is look at the number of members of the site, and the number of people who have read the rules. "Those rules are for other people." I have tried to do my moderating by use of PM, and not out in the open, although at times I have done so in public so others will understand the situation, and understand my side of the rule. I understand I am not perfect, and that some of my rulings may not have been correct. I have been overruled more than once, and understood why, and moved on. Whether i do, or did a good job is not for me to decide, but you, the members, and Bernhard. I understand the world has become a bit more liberal place since the rules were first written, and a few have been changed or modified. My attempt was to only rule as they were written, and not try to hard to interpret.

To those of you who disagree, you needn't worry. I did retire, but again said I would pop in once in a while to help out. Today, I retire. Have fun, try not to give Bernhard, Jon, Andy and Larry the respect they have earned and try not to act like you've been stabbed in the heart if one of your threads or posts are moderated. Peace.
Enjoy your retirement. Last time I PM'd you about an issue you didn't even reply back. Buh bye.

Larry and Andy have been great about getting back to me even if sometimes I didn't agree with their responses. I can deal with that and and willingly respect their explanations.

My personal opinion is that if someone REPEATEDLY is abrasive or combative, it's better just to give them the chop than try to smooth things over. Kind of a 3 strikes scenario. The guy I have a beef with has admitted to having been asked to leave no less than 5 open jazz jam sessions. Two of which he said he had to be physically removed. Doesn't really seem to be forum material But hey, what do I know.

Yep, i deleted to edit, but i havent…

I replied to this part of getagrippa’s comment..:

..nothing that happens in this forum is significant in the greater schema of life..

Thats a fact…

But….then still….i can understand when people feel ‘mistreated’….even if is only at a drum forum…

For me, there is only 1 limit….which is, what i call, hypocrite liars..

I am not minding that much when people shout a little, nag a little, curse every now and then, be sarcastic, negative, whatever….all ok….

But the 1 time that a certain member here lied to a mod to (probably) get me banned from here, for me was a limit….

Also because the guy tried to fool 2 people at once…..the mod…plus myself…

Still, not important in the greater scheme of life, but everyone has certain values in real life that he or she also keeps when posting on “only an internet forum” like this…..and “hating hypocrite lairs” for me is one of them…

The positive, or actually sad, part is that such people will never have a real musical life, thats why they are only busy with being “experts” at places like this…

Dang Oldskool that’s insane I had no idea 🤷‍♂️ f such drama. I guess I’d be irked too. Makes me wonder how many have me on their ignore or ask moderators to ban me- I’d guess I’d know?
Reminds of this grad student who was bashing me trying to get me kicked out of grad school. Crazy you can make enemies out of strangers.

Then there's is this , so time for a Matrix reboot or something. Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 11.53.52 AM.png

Intolerance is on the rise it seems like to me. People's breaking limits are being reached and pressure relief valves are popping. Meaning letting loose on a real life, but faceless person on a forum. That's just my take on it.

Last edited:
Intolerance is on the rise it seems like to me. People's breaking limits are being reached and pressure relief valves are popping. Meaning letting loose on a real life, but faceless person on a forum. That's just my take on it.
I hate your post. It's totally pointless. Like your face.

(Love you really Larry, I just couldn't help myself).

"Intolerance is on the rise" like you mean Lactose intolerance? I try to pop my pressure relief valve at least once a day, and nothing wrong with letting loose.
I always promote good prostate health.;)

Last edited:
Back