PDP X7 Maple 7 Piece

this is the kit i use for practice because it has a lot of colors i can mess around with and you definitely can get a good sound out of them with the right heads. IMO this is the definition of an intermediate kit where as exports seem to be more beginner orientated.

On top of being incredibly cheap, Mapex's M Birch/Meridian Birch sounds incredibly good! And the M Birchs are still being cleared out as they're the "older" series and now "obsolete".

well i dont know, i dont know jack shit about wood other than poplar and basswood suck and that maple and birch are the best. Are the custom classic drums gonna be better for me cuz they are small and more punchy (i play metal btw) or are they gonna sound like crap?

My only caution, and I haven't seen or played the PDP, is that you are getting a lot of drums for a little money, so there must be some cutbacks or short cuts somewhere. That is a lot of drums for 700.00

My only caution, and I haven't seen or played the PDP, is that you are getting a lot of drums for a little money, so there must be some cutbacks or short cuts somewhere. That is a lot of drums for 700.00

Its a solid kit, it sounds good and has sturdy hardware. I guess the downside is that the maple is lower quality than most high end maple kits, which will result in less sustain. Its still a pretty good deal for 7 piece kit though.
I would like to recommend you check out the Yamaha Stage or Tour customs though, similar price range, fewer pieces but better sound quality. Probably the best mid-line kits on the market.

i also have a pdp x7 and i gotta tell you i think they are good drums, if your talking about the set for 700 its a finish ply and i got the laquer which is only a bit more, but i like these sets i think they have a pretty warm tone to them, but best thing you could do is to just try one out and see if you like it, and also i bet you can find a good deal on a used one somewhere just make sure that it isnt the old poplar version.

merry christmas folks
take care
-Critter

Its a solid kit, it sounds good and has sturdy hardware. I guess the downside is that the maple is lower quality than most high end maple kits, which will result in less sustain. Its still a pretty good deal for 7 piece kit though.
I would like to recommend you check out the Yamaha Stage or Tour customs though, similar price range, fewer pieces but better sound quality. Probably the best mid-line kits on the market.

I 2nd the Yamaha Stage custom kits.bang for the buck they are a steal.The hardware on these kits are bullet proof,and the sound is wonderful.Check them out........

FWIW, my instructor had a set of the old poplar X7s, I thought the sound was fine. These are a fine value for somebody who wants a biggish kit cheap, and wishes to buy new.

OTOH, there's a Tama B/B four piece snareless shell pach on my local CL for the same money, guess which is the stronger purchase?

Back