pdp platinum 22 or sonor ascent 20

subamakoshii

Hi everyone! I'm in a dilemma between 2 drum kits, apparently I'm limited on the budget. I play different music, more groove. the first is pdp platinum used, made in mexico shell set maple bd 22, and the second option is sonor ascent beech used, bd 20 i think made in china but i am not sure but it costs 700 euro so i don't think made in germany. I'm on the news that someone in this group has some objective suggestions or opinions. best regards!

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I don't know enough about the Sonor to make a valid comparison, but the PDP Platinum series was just about as good as the PDP brand got.

For me it would come down to sizes primarily. A 20" bass drum is a non-starter for me. I'd look like I was playing a child's drumset.

Woolwich

Silver Member
Not that it matters but I'm pretty sure the Ascents were made in China. Pretty sure but not certain.
As Winston Wolf says, more important than which is "best" (and that's a subjective opinion for two kits as diverse as these) is which sizes work for you.

Not that it matters but I'm pretty sure the Ascents were made in China. Pretty sure but not certain.
As Winston Wolf says, more important than which is "best" (and that's a subjective opinion for two kits as diverse as these) is which sizes work for you.
Like everyone is saying ,comes down to sizes you want and if that’s not a concern then maybe the finish . I’ve not played those pdp’s but have played the concept maple . Nice drums and sounded decent and for the money they were great , but those aren’t the ones your looking at which I believe are better made and maybe sound better than the concepts ? I can though , comment on the ascent . I played a double bass ( 22’s) 8 piece ascent that I was looking to purchase a few years ago but lost out on 😩 . Absolutely gorgeous finish and well made drums that sounded as good or better than some high end kits from other makers ( I’ve played a few) . Sonor essentially priced themselves out of the market with these . They were excellent build quality drums at a lower price point and eventually dropped the line as it wasn’t cost effective for sonor . I believe ( if I remember correctly) , as others have said , made in China , but they were made with German beech . I still regret not being able to get them . Just loved the sound of that kit . What are the sizes of drums in both the kits you’re looking at ?

Can you post what each kit cost and has? Sizes ? Amount of shells , condition of shells , finish types ( and which you prefer ) ,hardware or anything else included to help you compare value and help you decide between them if it’s down to those two for ya . They’ll both sound good but different , one being maple and the other being beech

sonor ascent review and sound sample if it helps ......

Last edited:

force3005

Silver Member
Hi and welcome Subamakoshii. I have a 20" Ascent kit. The beechwood is from Germany and are made in the East. The Ascent has a nice warm sound to it. Tuning is not a problem range wise and the QC is remarkable. This is a pro grade kit. Good luck and again welcome to DW.

Edit: The snare is a good as some $400-500 wood snares.

Last edited:

johnjssmith

Unless you wanted a 22" kick specifically I'd get the Ascent, 20" kicks are a tad more versatile, beech is a bit more versatile, and the quality is going to be higher going by its manufacturer.

David Hunter

I've owned both the PDP Platinum and the Sonor Ascent series (in fact, 3 Ascent sets: 2 bop, one Stage 3). While both were reasonably priced drum lines, I'd give the Ascents the edge in quality - though the Platinums were perfectly fine for their price point. I found the Ascents to be very well made drums, especially considering that they originally sold with a full set of 400 Series hardware. Yes, they were produced in the Mapex factory in China, but (as mentioned above) they were real German beech shells. They weren't undersized shells like Sonor's German offerings, but they tuned up easily and sounded great.

One thing I should mention: there have been reports of Ascent lug casings blowing out where the lug is held in place. You can see the diamond shape in the pic; apparently it's a weak point, at least on Ascent snares under high tension. That said, I never had a single problem with any of mine, but it's worth mentioning.
377451.jpg