PDP or Mapex?

xxthepatient

Well I want to get a nice 7 piece maple kit soon but can't decide which one would be better.
There is this PDP set that I really like. 8 ply maple. The blue finish is very sexy and would compliment the copeland ride I'll be getting.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/PDP-Platinum-Finishply-7Piece-Fusion-Drum-Set?sku=500452

the other is the mapex saturn. 6 ply maple with a hint of walnut I guess. the 22 x 20 bass sounds fun too. i would choose the electric berry burst finish.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Mapex-Saturn-7Piece-Plus-Bass-Fusion-Pop-22?sku=446913

I know very little about drums, so I thought I would ask the people that actually do know.
I have great cymbals already. A bunch of Sabian HHX, HH, and AAX. I'm set on them.
However, I do want to get a new ride with more ping and less wash. Either the Paiste Copeland ride, or a Sabian HH rock ride.

Let me know what you think people.
Thank you all.

tbmills

Gold Member
well... i own a pdp fs kit and its great.
however, i would never spend 2500 on a pacific drum set. theyre not bad drums, but they are still and under-brand. like fender and squier.

my $0.02

just curious, knowing very little about drums, why are you spending so much on a kit?

xxthepatient

I know how that is. I figure that that set will be just as great as a DW, but without the price tag.
I know very little about woods and all that stuff. I play drums a lot, but my current kit needs to be replaced soon.
I'm getting 1000 bucks a month to watch my mom while my dad is at work because she has alzheimer's and can't be alone.

tbmills

Gold Member
if i were you i would go for some gretsch renowns or yamaha absolutes.

really... buy used.
you could get the dw set you wanted for that kind of money.

check ebay and craigslist.

mrchattr

Gold Member
I own a Mapex and a PDP kit. The Mapex is a great kit, great hardware, and sounds great. The PDP Platinum series sounds INCREDIBLE, they are fantastic. The hardware is lacking, in my opinion. It feels a lot weaker than the stuff Tama or Mapex use.

The big problem with PDP is that gear snobs refuse to accept it as quality. There have been a lot of threads on here in the past, people asking about PDP...everyone who owns one says how great it is, but the threads are filled with guys who say, "I played a PDP house kit in the early '90's for three songs, it sucked, the brand sucked, they are just DW wanna-be's don't waste your time. If that's going to bother you, then don't get them.

Still, for the money you are looking to spend, tbmills is right. Get a used kit. It'll take some patience to find what you want, but you can get almost anything at that price range.

Also, spend some time researching drums, materials, sounds, brands, etc. Go to a drum shop or Guitar Center or something like that, and play a bunch of brands, different woods, etc. You are talking about dropping multiple thousands of dollars on something that you literally don't know much about. That's crazy. Take the time, do the research, and find out what looks, sounds, and feels best to you.

bojangleman

Platinum Member
oh man....

Mapex all the way....cause that Mapex is 1 step down from the Orions, and that is their highest kit....

nothing wrong with the PDP, but...seriously..the Mapex IMO, is going to be better built, better hardware, better shell construction...all that jazz...

Alex

xxthepatient

okay, when the time comes to actually throw down that money, I'll look into used drums. I will go to guitar center when my friend starts working there and try out some sets. the current workers there just piss me off. I'll wait until he starts.
Thanks for all the advice. :]

Mcbrain

Are you kidding me ????......MAPEX hands down......I owned a PDP a few years back and it was nice.... BUT NO WAY close to a Mapex Saturn....NO WAY NO HOW.... The Saturn will give you a tone and a depth that the PDP CANNOT give... The Walnut in the Saturns is fantastic... On top of that the finishes and hardware from Mapex are light years ahead of PDP.....Like i said. I had an LX a few years back... But in all honesty PDP is an intermediate set and a Mapex Saturn is ALL PRO..... Just no comparison in my book... And i did stay at a Holiday inn last night !!!!

xxthepatient

I think all in all, I'll try to go with buying a new saturn. I'm not a big fan of used gear due to past guitar experiences. I love the hardware for the saturn. The tom mounts and all. The one attached to the bass is amazing! I've never seen anything like that. innovative stuff.
All I know is that my poplar Tama set has to go.

mrchattr

Gold Member
Just a heads up, all the people in here who are mentioning issues with PDP haven't mentioned the Platinum line, since that came out just a few months ago. There were some reviews (search this forum under "Platinum" and you should find them. They have gotten universally INCREDIBLE reviews from drummers who tried them on here.

Also, as one person stated, the Saturn kit is one step down from the top-of-the-line Mapex. The Platinum IS the top of the line kit from PDP.

But like I said, go try them out, and then decide.

xxthepatient

Yeah, I can understand how some people can be one tracked when it comes to an off brand like PDP. I would never buy an Epiphone for the sake of looking like a total noob. haha.
I know my local GC has a platinum 5 piece. I'll go try that out in the next few days.

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
Yeah, I can understand how some people can be one tracked when it comes to an off brand like PDP. I would never buy an Epiphone for the sake of looking like a total noob. haha.
I know my local GC has a platinum 5 piece. I'll go try that out in the next few days.
Um...my Epiphone blows many Gibsons I've played out of the water. It's not the brand that matters, but the characteristics of the individual instrument that YOU like. I lucked out with my guitar. Now, back to drums...

I would choose, between the two, getting a used kit of better quality. 6-ply maple beats 8-ply in my books, but it's Asian maple vs. American maple, so??? I've had good experiences and bad experiences with both brands, so I'm pretty unbiased. Read the signature, punk!

V V V V V

remoking

if i were you i would go for some gretsch renowns or yamaha absolutes.

really... buy used.
you could get the dw set you wanted for that kind of money.

check ebay and craigslist.
I do believe that that particular set comes with a dw hardware pack, which adds to the price bigtime! Not sure if you're familiar with the new PDP Platinum series, but you can buy them as individual component drums. I recently ordered a bass and snare of the finishply finish (white oyster). I'm not a big fan of birch wood, as the FS set is birch. However These new PDP's are made with North American Maple....surely not a dissapointment. I'll post some pics up when my drums get here sometime this week, and let you know how I like them. Anyways....Mapex makes great drums too.