PDP mismatched from factory?

C.M. Jones

Even if it's intentional, I really don't care for it. While I like my snare to have a different finish, I always want my toms and bass to be consistent.

Those are good-looking shells otherwise.

roncadillac

Definitely not factory. I do know those are very commonly sold through MF, GC, SA etc (or were, not sure if they still are) as individuals/add on drums. They are for sure nice sounding drums, extremely warm. I am a fan of PDP because you get alot of the 'technology' and design behind DW but at a significantly lower cost. I'm not a huge DW guy but I've always enjoyed the PDP kits I've played and heard.

All of that said, this particular mismatch is ugly and not something I'm a fan of in general. Either finish (light shell/dark hoops or dark shell/light hoops) looks nice if it were the entire kit.

johnwesley

Silver Member
Definitely not factory. I do know those are very commonly sold through MF, GC, SA etc (or were, not sure if they still are) as individuals/add on drums. They are for sure nice sounding drums, extremely warm. I am a fan of PDP because you get alot of the 'technology' and design behind DW but at a significantly lower cost. I'm not a huge DW guy but I've always enjoyed the PDP kits I've played and heard.

All of that said, this particular mismatch is ugly and not something I'm a fan of in general. Either finish (light shell/dark hoops or dark shell/light hoops) looks nice if it were the entire kit.
You are absolutely correct about PDP as great drums and the DW quality at lower price. I've played the PDP wood hoop Concepts and they are excellent drums, but they need to match. (from a guy who plays a custom kit with nothing matching but the bass and floor tom)

Lee-Bro

I must be in the minority. I like this set up and color configuration. I don't know if I'd like it if there were more drums though, but as a 3pc+snare, I'd go for it.

Yamaha Rider

I must be in the minority. I like this set up and color configuration. I don't know if I'd like it if there were more drums though, but as a 3pc+snare, I'd go for it.
I guess it looks better from the side when you can see that the hoops and shells are infact matched but reversed.
Quite a neat idea IMO.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
For that line PDP sells the toms as a set, and the bass drum separately. Someone either chose (or mis-ordered) the opposing finish on the bass drum.

I'm not really into the jellybean or frankenstein-type kits, but this isn't even that deliberate, it just looks careless.

at the start of the pandemic someone was selling the rack and floor tom together, basically brand new- I forget if it was an auction or buy it now, but they sold for just over $200 shipped. I kicked myself for not jumping on them, but I couldn't really justify taking them in. not saying these are those exact ones, but it's possible someone just pieced this kit together from add-ons.