pdp M5 Score!

pearlygates

Gold Member
I was just browsing at Interstate music's retail showroom last night and I happened upon a deal I couldn't pass up.. I snagged this barely used M5 in Tobacco burst for $415 and it included an add on 16" floor tom and had Aquarian Studio X batters on all the toms!
I picked up a coated EMAD, threw a port in the kick and POW!

These kits get a lot of mixed reviews...I have to say that for the small ammount of time I have played these drums, they sound pretty impressive! Very pleasantly surprised! The finish and edges are really quite nice and the shells are super thin.. The toms resonate like crazy!

Warm and punch maple goodness!

PDPM5002.jpg

PDPM5003.jpg

Last edited:
I've got the same one at home....for the price you can't go wrong!! Maple for maple what's the difference between all the kits available?? Only the finishes and the hardware. And on this kit the hardware and the finish are excellent in my opinion.You got yourself a good deal. Happy for you. Enjoy!!!!! I would love to show you mine but i can't upload my pics!!!! :(

That's a nice kit. How did you get it already?

I've got the same one at home....for the price you can't go wrong!! Maple for maple what's the difference between all the kits available?? Only the finishes and the hardware. And on this kit the hardware and the finish are excellent in my opinion.You got yourself a good deal. Happy for you. Enjoy!!!!! I would love to show you mine but i can't upload my pics!!!! :(
I love the nice thin maple shells! I am impressed with the finish and tone.. The floor toms resonate for like 30 seconds! What heads are you using on the toms?

That's a nice kit. How did you get it already?
Bought it off the showroom floor at Interstate (10 minutes from my house) I wasn't even really looking for a kit! The thing was traded in last Saturday by a guy who bought the kit from Interstate to get back into drumming after not playing for 20 years.. Apparently dude thought it was too much work er sumthin'.. His loss, my gain!

Way to go, James! Nothing like having some new toys!!!

I love the nice thin maple shells! I am impressed with the finish and tone.. The floor toms resonate for like 30 seconds! What heads are you using on the toms?

I've got clear Emperors. I'm more a Evans guy. But i wanted to try Remo's head and i've got to admit it sound very good. The Powerstroke 3 on the kick rocks. I'll put some Evans for sure, but for now i'm pretty pleased with the clear emperor. I truly think that this drum sings. And again, for the price you can't go wrong. What's the size of your bass drum?? 20" or 22"

P.S How do you upload pictures?? Mine are too big...

a few more pics..

PDPM52003.jpg

PDPM52009.jpg

PDPM52007.jpg

PDPM5003.jpg

I am pretty impressed with the fit and finish of this kit! It's my second pdp..and I can say that they are really great drums!
Very thin shells! can you say PUNCHY??

Last edited:
Glad to hear that you like them. I remember how everyone used to knock them and say that they were junk becasue they were made in mexico. I would buy one if I had the cash. Do they make other lines of drums now besides the platinums?

Glad to hear that you like them. I remember how everyone used to knock them and say that they were junk becasue they were made in mexico. I would buy one if I had the cash. Do they make other lines of drums now besides the platinums?
I have read a number of reviews stating that these kits sounded bad.. I doubt that the nay sayers know how to properly tune drums.. These M5s are (like all but the Platinums) are made in china. And quite frankly sound very good. Just warm and punchy .. like a thin maple shell should sound. Drum Workshop did these righteous! PDP has a few other offerings http://www.pacificdrums.com/
It's funny. I have NEVER been a fan of dw, but I rather like the PDPs

I've never played a set of maple drums in what i would consider normal sizes. My dad has a DDrum kit in Bonham sizes. I like the sound of them. I'm not a fan of the large sizes set up wise but they sound great. I"ve always wanted to try a configuration that I like in maple.

I've never played a set of maple drums in what i would consider normal sizes. My dad has a DDrum kit in Bonham sizes. I like the sound of them. I'm not a fan of the large sizes set up wise but they sound great. I"ve always wanted to try a configuration that I like in maple.
These would surprise you!

Here's mine at home, a nice kit, natural to charcoal burst. Sounds good, the drum just sings. I just ordered a 16" floor tom to replace my tama 16" that's on the kit in waiting. I'll put some splashs, and everything will be all right :) Very good drum

Attachments

• IMG_3516.jpg
    IMG_3516.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 9,437
  • IMG_3504-1.jpg
    IMG_3504-1.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 13,020
  • IMG_3517.jpg
    IMG_3517.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 10,749
  • IMG_3502.jpg
    IMG_3502.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 12,722
Here's mine at home, a nice kit, natural to charcoal burst. Sounds good, the drum just sings. I just ordered a 16" floor tom to replace my tama 16" that's on the kit in waiting. I'll put some splashs, and everything will be all right :) Very good drum

Nice lookin' kit brother! I'm currently saving for an 8" tom.

very nice. I ve played lots of these maple pdp kits, mainly on multi band bills( in backline situations where you had no choice.) These are great drums, that consistently sound good. Especially going through a decent pa system at your average sized club. Warm punchy sound, and reasonably priced,just my $ .02

Back