PDP LTD

Bluekit

What can u tell me about the pdp,Ltd drum set,,,,I am not talking the newer concept limited edition,,,but the older sets where
the badges only say LTD,,,they must of been made around the same time the cx,lx,mx sets
were made

johnwesley

Silver Member
PDP are great drums and in my opinion are as good as their more expensive big brother DW. With the exception of the exotic woods that the "upper" line of DWs are veneered with, the "smoke and mirror" vertical, horizontal, over under sideways down variable layering of plies, PDP drums are DW shells with PDP hardware. As for limited editions, it's marketing. You'll different finishes for a while, "upgraded" hardware for a while, and LTD badging that makes you want them even more. Bottom line. PDP are great drums. I've had CX series kits, SX series snare drums and never regretted the purchase.

Bluekit

Where the LTD made in Mexico,,maple shells..what years where they made,,.?there is not much on the net about them at all

gdmoore28

Gold Member
I thought I'd kept up with the early Pacific (later: PDP) drums fairly well, but I can't remember or find any reference to "LTD" drums other than the "PDP Concept Limited Edition" kits.

So, in an attempt to clear this question up a bit, may I ask a few questions of you?

Do you own a kit like this? Have you seen a kit like this? Seen one for sale? Just going on memory or somebody else's remarks? Do you have a picture of a LTD kit? Specifically, and most important of all, do you have a close-up picture of the badge on a LTD kit? We'll try to get some more info, but need your help.

I'm not ruling them out at all. In just the last year or two I've run across several kits manufactured during the early Pacific years that we've never known about. For example, I've seen several Asian-manufactured kits labeled as "CX" that do not fit the published "CX" specifications. The Encenada, Mexico CX kits were American Hard Rock Maple shells with one of three available wraps, and 8-lug bass drums. The Asian-made CX kits are Asian Maple shells (we think), lacquered finishes (like the Mexican LX series), and ten lug bass drums. I've been able to locate zero literature on these kits.

I'm beginning to think that there may be a variety of uncatalogued kits built by then Pacific as the company strove to establish its direction in marketing and manufacture. If you have any further info on the "LTD" kit in question, I'd certainly love to investigate it further.

GeeDeeEmm

Old Dog new Cans

Where the LTD made in Mexico,,maple shells..what years where they made,,.?there is not much on the net about them at all
You won't find much of anything online. You'll need to contact PDP and/or DW directly. I contacted them directly, spoke with a couple peeps that were extremely helpful. Even sent me some badges for my M5 refurb/build.

GDM!! I'm also curious about the LTD-ness. 🤨

drumdevil9

Platinum Member
I had one of those for a short time in red sparkle wrap. It was an M5 era kit made in China or Taiwan, not Mexico. Decent drums but I traded them for an LX lacquer finish kit (which I no longer have either.).

vdrumatic

I thought I'd kept up with the early Pacific (later: PDP) drums fairly well, but I can't remember or find any reference to "LTD" drums other than the "PDP Concept Limited Edition" kits.

So, in an attempt to clear this question up a bit, may I ask a few questions of you?

Do you own a kit like this? Have you seen a kit like this? Seen one for sale? Just going on memory or somebody else's remarks? Do you have a picture of a LTD kit? Specifically, and most important of all, do you have a close-up picture of the badge on a LTD kit? We'll try to get some more info, but need your help.

I'm not ruling them out at all. In just the last year or two I've run across several kits manufactured during the early Pacific years that we've never known about. For example, I've seen several Asian-manufactured kits labeled as "CX" that do not fit the published "CX" specifications. The Encenada, Mexico CX kits were American Hard Rock Maple shells with one of three available wraps, and 8-lug bass drums. The Asian-made CX kits are Asian Maple shells (we think), lacquered finishes (like the Mexican LX series), and ten lug bass drums. I've been able to locate zero literature on these kits.

I'm beginning to think that there may be a variety of uncatalogued kits built by then Pacific as the company strove to establish its direction in marketing and manufacture. If you have any further info on the "LTD" kit in question, I'd certainly love to investigate it further.

GeeDeeEmm
I own a PDP LTD kit... I love em! The Red Sparkle PDP LTD kit was a Muscian's Friend exclusive. They really sound great...

gdmoore28

Gold Member
I own a PDP LTD kit... I love em! The Red Sparkle PDP LTD kit was a Muscian's Friend exclusive. They really sound great...
Great info. Thank you. I'll have to try and keep this in mind - LTD = Guitar Center Exclusive. (I've been looking into the early production in Mexico for the last two years and have somehow managed to not write down or log one bit of the research except in various posts. I'm already beginning to forget some of it. I guess what we Pacific fans really should do is to update and expand the Pacific/PDP site on Wiki. It's quite good, but makes no mention of the LTD series or practically any of the Asian-made maple drums of the Pacific era. Actual documentation has been extremely hard to come by, while crazily-wrong internet myth is abundant.)

Vdrumatic - thanks for the pics of that beautiful red sparkle kit. Do you happen to remember when they were purchased new? Judging from the iso mounts, post-2005????)

GeeDeeEmm