PDP FS - thoughts?

Warrenwood

Long story short: my son has played a PDP FS birch set (22/10/12/14 with additional 16" PDP Concept Birch floor tom) for a few years now. He's decided he wants a warmer sound, so he bought a used Pork Pie Hip Pig set. To help pay for the Hip Pig, my son "sold" his PDP FS set to the Bank of Dad (me). I thought I would resell the set locally, recoup the money I gave him but... wow... the used market here is HORRIBLE. Over Christmas we had a flood of crappy used sets hit the used market and now everybody wants a full set with hardware and cymbals for $150 OBO.

So, it seems that I've got a PDP FS set for the foreseeable future. I'm wondering what to do with it.

I could add it to my small collection. I've owned other PDPs in the past: CX series, MX series and Concept. Maple shells, good workmanship, nice "working class" drums. But in my collection, that particular type of sound is covered by my DW Performance set. In my collection, each set brings a different kind of sound. What sound does the PDP FS bring besides a sharp attack? I play classic rock, some jazz, some blues... think Kansas, Eagles, Blues Brothers, Chicago. I don't play loud, hard, cutting music. I don't gig (if I did, I'd use the DW.)

But am I missing a point here? Has anybody here owned a PDP FS? If so, what were your thoughts about it?

Thanks!

rustyfingers

I bought an older FS for $100 a few years back that had cymbals (302a), stands and pedals. I sold just the shells for 150 about a year later and kick myself every day. They sounded nice with coated ambassadors on the top/bottom. The snare wasn't great but definitely usable.

Dennis

Warrenwood

Thanks, Dennis!

My son sold off the FS snare years back to buy a Pork Pie snare. I have two DW maple snares (5x14 and 6.5x14) that I rotate around my sets, but I also have a 90s Acrolite Galaxy on the shelf that might sound good with the birch drums.

Ransan

Hi Warren, I currently own and daily play my FS kit, it is a natural/charcoal burst finish. Though I have my love hate with them, they are truly a great sounding set of drums.
Same exact sizes with snare I bought new back in around 06-07 ish - still have sticker on 14 rack that says “all birch shells”.
Yes I would say focused and while higher to medium tuning is where I think it is more suitable. With the 22 kick it sounds really big. I use coated EC2S.

Last edited:

gdmoore28

Gold Member
Those who dismiss PDP drums out of hand are missing some of the coolest-sounding drums on the market - and at embarrassing-low prices.

I'm very partial to the original Pacific Mexico drums, but even the Asian drums are killer, with great quality control, dependable fixtures, and beautiful finishes.

GeeDeeEmm

Warrenwood

Those who dismiss PDP drums out of hand are missing some of the coolest-sounding drums on the market - and at embarrassing-low prices.
I agree completely with the quality. This would be a good "second" kit to keep at a rehearsal location or for a young 'un first starting out gigging. I personally like the PDP MX/CX maple kits over the FS birch, but that's the music I like to play. This set is great with higher energy music!

And unfortunately I agree with you about "embarrassing low prices." Over the holidays in Little Rock, a lot of people dumped garbage sets on Craigslist and FB Marketplace, driving the local values into the toilet. Sets left in the attic through a decade of Arkansas summers: wraps cracked, shells out of round, rusted stands. I've got the set listed locally, and all I'm getting are low-ball offers... REALLY low-ball. The buyers don't care about quality, just "Well I found a Swingstar for $100, it just needs new heads. Are you willing to come down?"

gdmoore28

Gold Member
I agree completely with the quality. This would be a good "second" kit to keep at a rehearsal location or for a young 'un first starting out gigging. I personally like the PDP MX/CX maple kits over the FS birch, but that's the music I like to play. This set is great with higher energy music!

And unfortunately I agree with you about "embarrassing low prices." Over the holidays in Little Rock, a lot of people dumped garbage sets on Craigslist and FB Marketplace, driving the local values into the toilet. Sets left in the attic through a decade of Arkansas summers: wraps cracked, shells out of round, rusted stands. I've got the set listed locally, and all I'm getting are low-ball offers... REALLY low-ball. The buyers don't care about quality, just "Well I found a Swingstar for $100, it just needs new heads. Are you willing to come down?"
Didn't know you are in the LR area. I'm just south of there.