PDP CX wrap removal

nor-cal henry

Hey all. I have a set of white onyx PDP CX that are stamped April 26, 2006 (Ensenada). The kick drum is starting to get yellow-ish, so I'm thinking about re-wrapping them. Has anyone out there ever re-wrapped mexican CXs? Is the wrap glued on all around the shells? Hard to remove, or not too bad? Any insight/experiences appreciated. Thank you!

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
I very vaguely seem to recall that the wrap is only glued at the seams with double-sided tape but this is a memory from a number of years ago when these drums were newer.

Please don't trust this information, though! I may be wrong. It was a long time ago.

EDIT: Please ignore, I think I've got it wrong:

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
Hopefully Uncle Larry will pop in and share his method for de-yellowing. I know he has a white diamond pearl CX kit that he restored the finish on.

Those wraps are thin so it's unlikely they'll come off in large chunks, and then removing the glue from the shells is no small task either.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Research this formula:

Make it at home, paint it on your unheaded drums, hardware and all, and leave them out on a bright sunny day (all day, turning the shell) where the temps are not too hot. You don't need temperature, you need the UV light. It will unyellow it for a lot less aggravation and cost. Do not scrub this stuff into your wrap. Use a medium sized paintbrush. It's a chemical reaction, it's not on the surface. Scrubbing will dull your wrap, don't do it.

This process reverses the UV damage with UV and peroxide. It absolutely works. I did it to a set of WMP Luds.

You buy 35% peroxide, dilute it down to 10% with distilled water, and the other ingredients make it into a gel that will stick to your wrap. There's also Oxyclean in there used as a super booster ingredient which is actually just more peroxide. Just keep it moistened, the sun dries it out.

When you're done carefully wipe off your shell with a moist to wet rag and that's it. A coat of wax if desired. Not necessary. New looking wrap.

Last edited:
This process reverses the UV damage with UV and peroxide. It absolutely works. I did it to a set of WMP Luds.
do you happen to have any before and after pictures? I didn't know this was possible. I am trying to sell a Jazz Festival in WMP. I wonder if it would benefit from this...

NouveauCliche

Research this formula:

Make it at home, paint it on your unheaded drums, hardware and all, and leave them out on a bright sunny day (all day, turning the shell) where the temps are not too hot. You don't need temperature, you need the UV light. It will unyellow it for a lot less aggravation and cost. Do not scrub this stuff into your wrap. Use a medium sized paintbrush. It's a chemical reaction, it's not on the surface. Scrubbing will dull your wrap, don't do it.

You buy 35% peroxide, dilute it down to 10% with distilled water, and the other ingredients make it into a gel that will stick to your wrap. There's also Oxyclean in there used as a super booster ingredient which is actually just more peroxide. Just keep it moistened, the sun dries it out.

When you're done carefully wipe off your shell with a moist to wet rag and that's it. A coat of wax if desired. Not necessary. New looking wrap.
Whoa - I've never seen this before!

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
do you happen to have any before and after pictures? I didn't know this was possible. I am trying to sell a Jazz Festival in WMP. I wonder if it would benefit from this...
It will absolutely benefit the look of the drum, and the price it will fetch.

I have no before and after pics. At the time I didn't know if it would work so I just kind of rushed through it.

I was knocked out how well it worked.

Imagine a severely yellowed wrap. Now imagine the same wrap brand new. That's exactly what it does.

There are before and after pictures in the article I posted of yellowed and treated computer cases.

This does not work on yellowed lacquer. I tried it. No change. Only PVC wraps. It works for yellowed car headlight lenses too.

If anyone hasn't heard of this, it's a regular miracle on yellowed wraps.

I did read that on older drums from like the 50's and back, they didn't use PVC, they used something else. I don't recall the name of the material. But it's not PVC. Retr0bright isn't supposed to work on pre PVC wraps, but I have no first hand experience. What year is your jazz festival drum? If it was from the 60's or newer, Retr0bright should work. Just verify it's PVC and this stuff will make the wrap look new again. I know that's a helluva claim, but it really works.

I took all my shell hardware off to do this, but after all was said and done, I definitely could have left the lugs on. I probably could have left the heads on too. No need to remove your lugs unless you want to.

Also, the Oxy-Clean isn't added until right before you are ready to use the mixture. Why? Because it expands the mixtures volume by about 100%. Do not put any type of lid on your mixing vessel. It will blow it off and you will have peroxide shrapnel everywhere.

Last edited:

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
This is the stuff of dreams right here. At around $100 a bezel, this seems like the optimum idea. Those headlight restore kits work, but are a major pain. I'm gonna try this for sure.
Some headlights lenses are so sun damaged that they are no longer smooth to the touch. They're rough. I never did this on headlights. But if the lens is damaged to the point where the surface is rough, I'm guessing the roughness will remain.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Some headlights lenses are so sun damaged that they are no longer smooth to the touch. They're rough. I never did this on headlights. But if the lens is damaged to the point where the surface is rough, I'm guessing the roughness will remain.
I'll have to research some more. I'm night blind real bad, so am always looking for ways to keep the lenses clean/make the light brighter. I did the chemical wipe method 2 years ago with good success. If this works just as well then why not.

Supposedly 40 volume cream developer from a beauty supply store will do the same thing but is already mixed. Its hydrogen peroxide hair bleach more or less.

This might be the way to go. It's cheap, already mixed, and beauty supply stores are everywhere.

NouveauCliche

I'll have to research some more. I'm night blind real bad, so am always looking for ways to keep the lenses clean/make the light brighter. I did the chemical wipe method 2 years ago with good success. If this works just as well then why not.

Supposedly 40 volume cream developer from a beauty supply store will do the same thing but is already mixed. Its hydrogen peroxide hair bleach more or less.

This might be the way to go. It's cheap, already mixed, and beauty supply stores are everywhere.
This has been the most useful thread. Awesome.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"

That would take all the fuss and most of the mess out of the equation.

I do have first hand exp with retr0bright, but not with 40 volume cream.

The oxyclean is a vital ingredient I assumed. Someone needs to try the hair bleach stuff and let us know if how well it works.

I have no more yellowed drums, or I'd try it.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
That would take all the fuss and most of the mess out of the equation.

I do have first hand exp with retr0bright, but not with 40 volume cream.

The oxyclean is a vital ingredient I assumed. Someone needs to try the hair bleach stuff and let us know if how well it works.

I have no more yellowed drums, or I'd try it.
I will be the guinnea pig. My wife has some 30 volume and 20 volume, but no 40. I'm gonna have her get me some, and I'll try it on a 10" concert tom. It's super yellow. I'm gonna try a small spot on my headlights too before I potentially ruin a $100 piece of plastic.

J-W

I have a Ludwig kit with white cortex that has yellowed badly. I've learned to live with the "nicotine stain white" color they've become, but I would absolutely love to restore these back to the original white without rewrapping them. However, everything I've read says that the cortex wrap is actually formica.
Does anyone know if this is true, or more to the point, if the process described above will work on cortex wrap?

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I don't know. It couldn't hurt. Formica and PVC...I'd guess they are different but I don't know. I'd try it.

J-W

I don't know. It couldn't hurt. Formica and PVC...I'd guess they are different but I don't know. I'd try it.
My fear is that it could hurt. I don't have any drums that I'm willing to experiment on and I don't want to end up with streaked or splotchy drums as a result. I'm okay enough with them as-is that I don't want to risk anything, but would like to restore them. I may try it eventually if I'm feeling a bit more daring. I'll do some more research or maybe try it on a small, inconspicuous spot.
I definitely appreciate you putting up the formula, instructions, and advise here. That's what makes these forums so great.