PDP CX Series

harryconway

Platinum Member
Now I'm on to a Mapex M Series in transparent orange or transparent honey amber. Same drum sizes, I think.
The Mars line. M series are birch shells. Sometimes called M Birch. M Pro are maple shells. New Mars kits are still all birch. I think the Pro M grew into the Meridian line (again with Meridian Birch and Meridian Maple), which grew into the Armory line (and is now hybrid maple/birch shell).

No Way Jose

Silver Member
If you can wait a few months more used drums may appear. People get drum kits for Christmas then after two or three months decide they really aren't drummers and put the kit up for sale. They may be in new condition but selling at used prices.

MntnMan62

If you can wait a few months more used drums may appear. People get drum kits for Christmas then after two or three months decide they really aren't drummers and put the kit up for sale. They may be in new condition but selling at used prices.
Yeah. I'm not really in any rush. Trying to be patient. I just hate it when a good deal slips through my hands. But you're right. I need to keep looking and be patient. I'm going to keep my requirements at either a 6 or 7 piece kit. And I'm going to keep looking for another PDP CX in blue onyx. That's a really nice looking kit.

Yeah. I'm not really in any rush. Trying to be patient. I just hate it when a good deal slips through my hands. But you're right. I need to keep looking and be patient. I'm going to keep my requirements at either a 6 or 7 piece kit. And I'm going to keep looking for another PDP CX in blue onyx. That's a really nice looking kit.

So I’ll go ahead and assume you’re not interested in the info for the CX I posted on the previous page of this thread ?

If someone else wants , I’ll send you the link . I have no affiliation with this kit or it’s seller . Thought the OP might be interested , but no mention either way so the kits fair game I guess 🤷🏻‍♂️

MntnMan62

So I’ll go ahead and assume you’re not interested in the info for the CX I posted on the previous page of this thread ?

If someone else wants , I’ll send you the link . I have no affiliation with this kit or it’s seller . Thought the OP might be interested , but no mention either way so the kits fair game I guess 🤷🏻‍♂️
I appreciate you posting the info on that kit. I think the only color I can't stand on drums is red. Just a thing I have. So, yes the kit is and always was fair game.

I appreciate you posting the info on that kit. I think the only color I can't stand on drums is red. Just a thing I have. So, yes the kit is and always was fair game.
I’m with ya on the reds lol , but mostly the solid reds like bright red, burgundy and wine and red sparkle. They just never did anything for me ,it’s all a personal preference thing. But some of the exotic red and black burl type veneers and finishes are nice .
Good luck in your search , I’ll keep an eye out for ya 👌🏻

MntnMan62

I’m with ya on the reds lol , but mostly the solid reds like bright red, burgundy and wine and red sparkle. They just never did anything for me ,it’s all a personal preference thing. But some of the exotic red and black burl type veneers and finishes are nice .
Good luck in your search , I’ll keep an eye out for ya 👌🏻
Thanks man. Definitely personal preference. As I was considering that one with the Blue Onyx I fell in love with that particular wrap. Now it's all I want. I may have to change that desire since it's not all that common. I'm 58 and this is only the second kit I've ever bought for myself so I'm being picky. It will probably be my last as well. So, even more reason to justify being picky. This all may just be a form of self sabatoge but I hope not.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
One thing to keep in mind is a 6 or 7-piece Pacific CX is going to be hard to put together. The most common shell packs were a Fusion set up; 10/12/14 hanging toms with a 22x18 bass drum. 16" floor toms were super rare (I never found one for my black onyx kit) and the 8" toms were hard to find but not impossible back in the day. I'm not 100% sure but I don't think they made any 13" toms in the CX line.

drummingbulldog

I used to have a 1st generation white marine pearl kit. 8/10/12/14/22. I absolutely loved that kit but I sold it to a friend. I wish I had kept it but I have too many kits as it is. I may look for another Pacific kit one day as the kit I had was awesome sounding & easy on the eyes too. The tom holder and bass drum legs were fine. Other pdp hardware is junk in my experience but some people like it. The Mexican made drums were great shells & sound as good as many high end kits.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I had a bowling ball that looked like those shells. The 16" fl tom sounds huge I bet.
I love that dark blue finish (more than the black onyx I had) and I agree a 16" would sound huge. The CX were the first all-maple drums I owned and I was surprised by just how big they sounded. Even the 14x12 fusion "floor" tom I had was easily capable of a very pleasing low note.

Dick Stamey

Yes, all the CX, MX, and LX drums were maple, made in Mexico. The FX series was birch and also had a matte finish, and were made in China. The 2nd gen had the same mounts as the others; the 1st gen had Pearl- or Yamaha-style L-arm mounts.

Copied from my comment on an older thread earlier this year: "My Pacific CX kit still with the stock heads from '03 sounds ridiculously better than they should; they'd still be my gig kit still if it wasn't for my falling into a kit with more trustworthy hardware for me to schlep around (not that I've ever had a hardware issue with the Pacifics)." For years, I've only played them at rehearsals, and while between bands, they've gone stretches of time unplayed- I *refuse* to change the heads while they're still sounding so good! Fellow knowledgeable drummers as well as bandmates who didn't know drums from their butts have commented on how good they sound. I think those stock Pacific/DW heads are better than other kits' stock heads, but I'd hesitate to say they're better than Remo, Evans, et al; I think I just got lucky with these. I attribute the credit to this kit's sound to the shells.
I have a PDP CX set badge says Pacific drum and percussion by drum workshop made in Taiwan. They have a kind of green gray ish wrap. As I understand it, since it has rims suspension mounts they are pre 2003/4. From the threads I've read and from the mounts these pre date Ensenada.

sumdrumguy

I have a PDP CX set badge says Pacific drum and percussion by drum workshop made in Taiwan. They have a kind of green gray ish wrap. As I understand it, since it has rims suspension mounts they are pre 2003/4. From the threads I've read and from the mounts these pre date Ensenada.
Pretty sure the Taiwanese CX kits were in production from 1997-1999. The first run of CX kits from Mexico also had RIMS mounts. They were produced 2000 to mid/late 2003. The 2nd generation, with STM mounts. were produced from late 2003/early 2004 to 2008/2009. There was major series rebranding after that.

Those 2nd gen Mexi-made CX kits are fantastic!

MntnMan62

At this point I'm digging either the Pacific CX kits in dark blue onyx or the Pearl EXR kits in blue strata. If I can find either one in a two up/two down setup in good condition at a reasonable price and near me, they're mine. I'd buy a 5 piece if I knew I could snap up a matching missing floor tom.