PDP CX Series

MntnMan62

I've been looking at a lot of used drums lately and I'm honing in on a PDP CX kit. I'm trying to determine if it has the maple shells that so many have raved about. Were all CX shells maple or were there other CX shells that were not made of maple? All I have to go on is the Blue Onyx wrap and a serial number from one of the toms. 309505. I googled it but nothing came up. Anyone with some knowledge on these would be phenomenal. Thanks.

sumdrumguy

I had a PDP CX kit for years. It was the 2nd generation, 100% maple shells with STM mounts. Made in Mexico. It was great kit, and served me very well.

I also owned a set of DW (black labels) at the same time and A/B'd the kits with the same tuning. Close your eyes, and you would not hear a difference. Those CX kits made in Mexico were awesome value!

AzHeat

Platinum Member
The CX, MX and LX are all maple C= covered, L= lacquered, M= mat. All were made in Ensenada Mexico. The first version had rim mounts and 8 lugs on BD. The next refresh had STM mounts and 10 lugs on BD and the next version had same mounts, but back to 8 lugs on BD.

if you’re set on a wrapped finish and PDP, look for Platinum series for not much more $$

Hewitt2

I have a set of the Mexican PDP CX in my practice space and they sound awesome. You get that DW sound for a fraction of the price. Even the snare sounds good (love it cranked for that old school funky vibe). Very well made and solid.

My only slight irritation is that the floor Tom is slightly undersized for my preference at 14” and that it attaches to a cymbal stand. I prefer the legs for ease of movement and placement options.

MntnMan62

I'm definitely a buffoon. When I find something that once details are confirmed sounds like something I'd like to have, someone else swoops in. The seller just pm'd me to say someone is coming by at 6:30 to buy. If it doesn't go through, he'll let me know. I'm assuming they will get snapped up at 6:30. I need to be more prepared to act. I've waited on a couple of nice kits and missed out. Need to remain vigilant.

timmdrum

Silver Member
Were all CX shells maple or were there other CX shells that were not made of maple?
Yes, all the CX, MX, and LX drums were maple, made in Mexico. The FX series was birch and also had a matte finish, and were made in China. The 2nd gen had the same mounts as the others; the 1st gen had Pearl- or Yamaha-style L-arm mounts.

Copied from my comment on an older thread earlier this year: "My Pacific CX kit still with the stock heads from '03 sounds ridiculously better than they should; they'd still be my gig kit still if it wasn't for my falling into a kit with more trustworthy hardware for me to schlep around (not that I've ever had a hardware issue with the Pacifics)." For years, I've only played them at rehearsals, and while between bands, they've gone stretches of time unplayed- I *refuse* to change the heads while they're still sounding so good! Fellow knowledgeable drummers as well as bandmates who didn't know drums from their butts have commented on how good they sound. I think those stock Pacific/DW heads are better than other kits' stock heads, but I'd hesitate to say they're better than Remo, Evans, et al; I think I just got lucky with these. I attribute the credit to this kit's sound to the shells.

sumdrumguy

My only slight irritation is that the floor Tom is slightly undersized for my preference at 14” and that it attaches to a cymbal stand. I prefer the legs for ease of movement and placement options.
I hear you on the hanging 14" tom. Probably the only thing I disliked about the kit. Easy fix though. I bought extra tom mounts, and converted mine to a floor tom.

IBitePrettyHard

That's a shame you were too late. I have the PDP MX and it's awesome. Like the others have said, the only downside is the 14x11 mounted floor tom. Granted, it still sounds great for a drum of its size.

If you wanna know what a PDP CX, MX, or LX sounds like, it sounds EXACTLY like this. It's practically the same kit. All the drum sizes are identical.
Actually I think the PDPs may sound slightly better than this DW, because they have no re-rings, and I prefer the lower fundamental tone.

Old Dog new Cans

I have an M5 kit, also made in Mexico. I love it, sounds great. You can find a ton of PDP kits used for cheap these days on Reverb. Check Guitar Center, Ebay.

MntnMan62

Bumming now. Seller confirms they were sold. Of course they were. They were a great deal. I really didn't need another reason to be depressed. Checking Reverb, there really aren't "tons" of PDP kits available. I'm going to go have a drink to drown my sorrows. Then tomorrow I'll continue my search. Unless someone has good things to say about the Mapex M Series.

MntnMan62

AzHeat

Platinum Member
There are a few on GC’s website. Pretty standard price for those. Would definitely expect more than just the one in that price. They did have 16” FTs for those. You’ll just have to search for them.

MntnMan62

@MntnMan62 Oye... that was a good price for a Mexi-made CX kit. I raise my beer in your direction 🍻
Oye is right. And the sad thing is now I'm going to only consider something like the one I missed at a similar price point, which will then cause me to miss out on more. That's it. I'm just going to quit the drums. That'll be easier. I'll sell someone my 5 piece Slingerland Stage Band in white marine pearl in excellent condition for $50,000.00 US. I think I'll pour myself a second drink.

I'm definitely a buffoon. When I find something that once details are confirmed sounds like something I'd like to have, someone else swoops in. The seller just pm'd me to say someone is coming by at 6:30 to buy. If it doesn't go through, he'll let me know. I'm assuming they will get snapped up at 6:30. I need to be more prepared to act. I've waited on a couple of nice kits and missed out. Need to remain vigilant.
I had looked for a kit for what seemed like an eternity . I finally found my Tama bb kit after losing out on 3 other kits that were on my possibles list, so I know how you feel . Maybe I can help with that 🤔. I see you’re in NJ . I’m in NY and saw a 5 piece CX kit for sale at $375 bucks😳. Says price was lowered for the holidays looks to be in really good shape . From the limited amount I know about them from reading on here I’d still say that’s pretty damn cheap . If I didn’t need some cymbals , a matching bb snare , a high hat stand and a throne I’d probably pick them up for myself to gig with when things open up and I eventually get back into gigging . I’m almost tempted to anyway 😉. I can PM the link to you if you’d like ? Or I can post here so others can advise on it . But please let’s not anyone stab mountain man in the back . I’d like to see him get these if he wants .EF7AA2DE-2BB7-44EB-ABE4-0DF1E122572C.jpeg0A92716B-4419-4B67-9D8D-7C6D57A85D63.jpeg7977F70D-2B60-4A84-B8CD-805B6B1984F3.jpeg

Last edited:

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
The made in Mexico CX, LX, and MX kits are great! Nicely-made maple shells with good edges and great tone! I've bought a few for students in the past, and they've always been good kits. I would snag one for myself, but the 18" deep bass drum turns me off.