PDP Concept Maple v Gretsch Catalina Maple v Pearl Decade Maple v Mapex Armory

mrev87

I have moved country and it's a nightmare getting my Yamaha Stage Custom shipped so have decided to sell that and get myself a new kit. I really want a Maple kit as much prefer the sound to the birch on my SC.

I have looked at loads of threads and not seen anything exactly like this in recent months so apologies if I am doubling up, I'd really appreciate some input on the above kits and also any others you'd recommend in the same price bracket.

That is nice! One point to Mapex! I’m in Spain so will be buying from here or mainland Europe if they ship, not sure if that makes a difference.

I think I would choose the Mapex kit out of those mentioned, just seems to me to be slightly nicer drums. But I would check out Tama Superstar Classic as well, should be around the same price as the Armory kit.

IMO - you're approaching the decision wrong.

You've decided on maple - that's good.
You talk about price range.
A quick peek looks like they run from about $540 to about $1,199 here in the US, depending on configuration.
So you need to narrow down the price range more, unless it doesn't matter.

From there, I would say decide how many drums you want. And decide what sizes you want.
Decide if there any any finishes that you really like or don't like,
and decide if there are any features that you'd like - for example a specific type of hoop,
tom mounting system, lugs that you're drawn to, and so on.

Then you'll have a good starting point to work from.
I’m Europe the price range is much smaller for some reason, only a couple of hundred euros between them.
I want 5 or 6 piece, 2 rack Toms one or two floors and a 22” bass drum.
As for the hoops I’m not overly fussy, mounting systems I’m leaning towards the Concept Maple but do like the mapex cymbal stand mounting.

I think I would choose the Mapex kit out of those mentioned, just seems to me to be slightly nicer drums. But I would check out Tama Superstar Classic as well, should be around the same price as the Armory kit.
Thanks, that’s 2 votes for mapex, I’ll check it out.

Beautiful kit, possibly pushes me a bit over budget as would need to add a snare as well as hardware/ cymbals.

Beautiful kit, possibly pushes me a bit over budget as would need to add a snare as well as hardware/ cymbals.
So what is your budget for the complete set including cymbals? While the Renown is an excellent set, I mainly wanted to bring your attention to the second hand market. :)

So what is your budget for the complete set including cymbals? While the Renown is an excellent set, I mainly wanted to bring your attention to the second hand market. :)
I’ve been looking second hand but not managed to find much here in Spain however I wasn’t aware of Milanuncios so will give it a closer look, seems to be some decent stuff on there.
I’m think circa 1200 euros all in, preferably less but willing to go a little over if it’s perfect.

I got the Pearl decade 13/16/24 with a Pearl Sensitone black lacquer steel snare back in 2017. I haven't been able to play for awhile now so it sits behind my lil Sonor Safari. Recorded single mic Zoom so sounds better with headphones if you want to hear how the drums sound. Here it is first tuned up with UT heads.

Yeah, that will be a bit tricky if you want maple shells. Best of luck finding something used, so you don't need skimp on cymbals. :)
This is what I’m terrified of, nothing worse than a nice kit with poor cymbals.
Worst case scenario I’ll get a cheap set to begin with and then add a proper cymbal set after another couple of months, or just wait an extra couple of months before getting the whole lot.
I’ve got AAXs at home so not overly happy about selling them and starting again.

I got the Pearl decade 13/16/24 with a Pearl Sensitone black lacquer steel snare back in 2017. I haven't been able to play for awhile now so it sits behind my lil Sonor Safari. Recorded single mic Zoom so sounds better with headphones if you want to hear how the drums sound. Here it is first tuned up with UT heads.
Nice 😊

I’ve got AAXs at home so not overly happy about selling them and starting again.
I understand that shipping/bringing a full kit with you is prohibitively expensive and just a general pain. But shipping or bringing a cymbal case with you seems absolutely doable. I've got a set of Gretsch drums that's been in storage on the other side of the continent for 20 years, but it only cost about $100 to ship my full set of Zildjian As with plenty of insurance. May I suggest you seriously consider hanging on to your Sabians?

I understand that shipping/bringing a full kit with you is prohibitively expensive and just a general pain. But shipping or bringing a cymbal case with you seems absolutely doable. I've got a set of Gretsch drums that's been in storage on the other side of the continent for 20 years, but it only cost about $100 to ship my full set of Zildjian As with plenty of insurance. May I suggest you seriously consider hanging on to your Sabians?
Good idea, can’t be that difficult to bring on a plane I’d have thought. All fit nicely in one bag. I do ultimately want some lighter cymbals as they’re relatively heavy but the quality is undeniable, especially when comparing to some of the cheaper options I’ve encountered. Always good to have a combination too.

Another vote for the Armory. Incredible value & sounding kits. Some of the finishes are among the best out there :)

Back