PDP Ace

P33v3

Picked up a floor demo PDP Ace tonight at Best Buy for 99.00 minus 10% off. With all the stock stuff it sounded pretty bad. Stripped it down (it was pretty dirty). Changed the heads to Ambassador/Ambassador Hazy. I didn't like the throw off but had a DW Delta that was from when I changed my main snare to a Mag throw off. I also replaced the snare wired with some DW True Tones (my favorite). Tuned the bottom fairly loose (82 on a Drum Dial) and the top fairly tight (92 on a Drum Dial). I have to say it has a nice dry crack without too much overtone. All and all not a bad sounding snare. Will be perfect for gigging.

Is it a Black Beauty? I don't know. I can't tell that until my Black Beauty comes in sometime in April and I've dropped 550 bucks or so. But I can say it is a good looking and good sounding snare for the price I paid. Even at it's normal price it would be a good sounding snare to gig (after changing the heads of course).

millerscapes

Congrats on the new snare and the upcoming Black Beauty! $90 for a brass snare isn't a bad deal, certainly for a snare that can be gigged to death with no regret!

scarlit

Silver Member
Its the same shell as the BOB and the Sensitone, and those are very well liked by many. For $99, cant go wrong. My local BB didnt have any left in stock, I would probably have picked on up myself. I did pick up a 9000 hi hat stand for $100 tho.