PDP 800 to Yamaha 700 Stands?

AzHeat

Platinum Member
Hi all, while I realize the advantages of the 700s from a functional aspect, but will I gain any weight advantage? Anyone make the transition?

AzHeat

Platinum Member
Well, I think I found my answer. PDP 800 boom stand is 6.5 pounds and Yamaha 700 boom is 2.2.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Good point, on Amazon it says the cs-755 is 2.2 pounds. Nothing on Yamaha's website either!
I’ve had 700 stuff, I’d guess around 7 lbs for the boom stand itself. But it is sturdy and
Built better than PDP.

Reactions: TJK

Jml

Yamaha 700 series straight stand is 6.5 pounds. So I’m guessing boom stand is 7ish pounds.

TJK

Yamaha quality is miles above PDP as far as cymbal stands go, my choice and flawless for over 20 years. 700 series all the way

wraub

I have and enjoy my PDP 800 stands, I have several and they are more than good enough for my current needs, but even I can appreciate the quality jump with Yamaha gear. Their stuff is just good(er).

p.s. i say this after going from a pdp set to a yamaha set.

harryconway

Platinum Member
Yamaha 600 and 700 stands are pretty much all I use. Every "once in a great while" I'll use something different, for a specialty item. Like my Garrahand tank drum, the Yamaha wouldn't fit their mounting hole, so I used a different brand I had lying around.

TK-421

The weights between equivalent Yamaha 700-series and PDP stands are roughly the same. But the design and functionality of the Yamahas are considerably better.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
I'll gain some weight benefits from going from my Falcon HH stand and Pearl 9 series snare stand to the Yamaha 700 series. Really looking forward to being able to get the 3-hole mount and branch off that way, instead of the clamps I use now. All they do is dimple the PDP800 tubes. Not sure if the same will be true with the Yamaha, but less likely I'll have to use clamps. Now, if MF would just get them in stock, I'd be in good shape.

KamaK

Platinum Member
Regarding the PDP-800 stuff.... If you breakdown/setup frequently, the Yamaha will be a worthwhile upgrade.

If used on a static kit (one that stays put and gets broken-down/set-up once every other year), the PDP800 will perform identically to the Yamaha.

It's the breakdown and setup where you'll experience the benefits of Yamaha's quality. Slippage, stripped wing nuts, broken plastic grommets, finger-pinches on runaway telescopes, etc, are the typical hallmarks of economy hardware.

gish

The Yamaha 700 stuff is just great. I’ve been using nothing but 700 stands for many years now, and a lot of gigs. Never had an issue, and no reason to think I ever will have an issue. Won’t consider anything else at this point.

Ryan Culberson

Another vote for the Yamaha hardware. It’s simply the best out there. Mix of 600 and 700 series here for gigging and shed use and wouldn’t have it any other way.