PDF Drum Books

LukeKohler

HI guys,
I was just looking for some pdf files of drum books, i already have a couple but I am mainly looking for Jazz books.
I will upload some of mine if any of you want any too.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I've got your free lesson: things that have value are worth paying for.

When you write your own book, or your band makes a recording, you'll understand.

Bermuda

Spreggy

Silver Member
Something we forget on the internet: everything belongs to someone.

Musicians need to support musicians. Not the facebook version of support, meaning just saying you support something, but the real meaning of support, meaning you'll pay for their music, books, lessons, and don't ask to get on the guest list for free entry into their gigs. Support means throw down a little cash.

I don't condone illegal downloading, but I'll just point out that publishers are seriously lagging behind the times. Most books still ship with a CD!?! If they offered pdfs or some easy to read format, with mp3s or streaming, people just might buy rather than download illegally.

KamaK

Platinum Member
I will point out that downloading copyright'ed content is not illegal in a number of jurisdictions (for the 1.3 billion people in China for example). Uploading/sharing it is illegal in my jurisdiction however, so I will politely decline the request.

I recommend that Luke contact the local imperial magistrate on Tatooine to determine the regulations on his planet, or make arrangements with the appropriate Hut.

bermuda

Staff member
Something we forget on the internet: everything belongs to someone.

Musicians need to support musicians. Not the facebook version of support, meaning just saying you support something, but the real meaning of support, meaning you'll pay for their music, books, lessons, and don't ask to get on the guest list for free entry into their gigs. Support means throw down a little cash.
Yep. I wanted to check out Jim Riley's "Song Charting" and "Survival Guide" books. I know Jim, and we're fellow Ludwig artists... I probably could have mooched the books or at least got files of them. But I quietly ordered them via his web site without letting him know (he obviously found out and autographed the books to me.) There's no reason to ask a favor in order to deprive him of the few bucks he makes per book for his work. OTOH, if I had written a book or two, it's likely we would have bartered them. :)

And regarding gigs, a large number of friends and fellow musicians pay to see me play on tour without asking for comps. And I do the same for them. There's no mooching of merch either.

But it's more than just the support. It's about paying for something that has value.

Bermuda

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
I fully agree. People stop making stuff when it goes out and gets stolen. There is SOME free material online, but $20 for a good book to help you in the lifelong journey of drumming is worth it.

I found my bands CD on every torrent site within a day or releasing it.. As a band that makes next to no money we need every dollar that comes our way for the next album.

I always buy merch, cds, drum gear, and books to keep the community alive.

I like what Bermuda said about shows. I always pay to watch my friends bands play. Even at a dead show, it makes MORE of a difference to help cover the costs of the venue etc.

bermuda

Staff member
I fully agree. People stop making stuff when it goes out and gets stolen. There is SOME free material online, but $20 for a good book to help you in the lifelong journey of drumming is worth it.
And $20 is a steal compared to how much you'd pay a teacher to learn everything in the book!

And before any of the teachers out there think I'm suggesting they're not needed, nothing could be further from the truth. I'm a major advocate of one-on-one lessons with a live teacher, at least initially while reading and technique skills are in development. Later, the student can begin to explore the plethora of great books available, and even then, the teacher may still be in the picture to guide the student through more advanced material.

To Luke (the OP) - it's nobody's intention to judge you too harshly, but part of being involved in the drumming community (hopefully) means that we learn from each other. It's a process that never ends, as long as we can keep our eyes and ears and mind open, and have a desire to grow. I hope you'll learn and understand that not everything is just there for the taking, and that good information has value.

I hope you're never in a situation where something you've written or recorded is being handed around without as much as a thank you.

Bermuda

As a newbie, I looked for all the free lessons I could put my hands on, but when someone says, "This is a book you need to help with ___", I buy it. Once I either get all the good out of it I can, or decide it's not what I really want, I'll sell it to a second hand bookstore.

brady

Platinum Member
As a newbie, I looked for all the free lessons I could put my hands on, but when someone says, "This is a book you need to help with ___", I buy it. Once I either get all the good out of it I can, or decide it's not what I really want, I'll sell it to a second hand bookstore.
Good idea.

That's also another avenue for cheap drum (or any music) books. My wife and I go to used book stores quite a bit. Our local Half Price Books has had a few good deals on used drum books, and DVD's too. If anyone has one in their area, it may be worth checking out.

John Lamb

I fully agree. People stop making stuff when it goes out and gets stolen.
Yup. It took me a year of writing to finish Anatomy of Drumming, not including years of planning and study before that. If I wasn't going to make any money off it, I wouldn't have done it. I'd have still done most of the research - I think the information and concepts are valuable and I feel like they've helped my out a ton, but I wouldn't have gone through the trouble of writing them out. It was a pain in the butt, and stressful, and I cancelled lessons to meet deadlines. I wish it wasn't like that, that I was independently wealthy and could afford to not care, but I'm not. Single father, full custody.... That stuff hurts. Drum books ar a niche market at best. Even though the book is selling quite well right now (top Amazon since January) it's hardly paying my rent.

jdsg

Let's not forget to pass this lesson to our kids. My daughter has an iPod full of music she downloaded for free using a YouTube converter and we are slowly in the process of buying the songs from iTunes so she appreciates value. I'm a photojournalist by trade and the outright stealing of images off the Internet and the demand for free news is killing my industry. We live in a society based on commerce. If younger people don't get the message, they will be left with few ways to earn a living which might be appropriate since they don't want to pay for anything anyway :)

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
if you pay for a book. your going to learn what is in it.

if you steal 20 books in a day or have them given to you you will spend 5 minutes in each one before skipping to the next..

I had a teacher explain this to me.. when you pay for material or lessons you will actually learn it and put more effort in. it makes sense.

feldiefeld

Technology has let the cat out of the bag, so to speak, so downloading and stealing is easy. But certainly, support your fellow drummers by buying the books they've worked hard to create. I do. :)