Patina!

DaveCollingwood

Playing with some cymbal patina recipes, these pieces of B20 bronze are all cut from the same sacrificial cymbal.

Favourites?

nmXoL7P.jpg

Great stuff, DC! I tend to embrace tradition, so 11, 12, 14 and 15 are the ones that jump out at me.

I'm digging #2...

... primarily because I've been looking very closely at the Pork Pie Patina snares.

Will each one sound the same or different? I don't know how you would test that. Are you just going for a visual effect?

My favorite one is Pat. No wait, Tina.

7 and 13 actually.

They're all charming in their own way though.

Sacrificial cymbal...RIP

You will not have died in vain.

My first impression was that 7 and 13 were the most unique.

A little hard to tell how well it would go over on a whole cymbal though.

#2 has an odd thing going for it also.

If I had to pick just one, I'd go with 13.

To those seeking the OP recipes, a true master never relinquishes his secrets.

To those seeking the OP recipes, a true master never relinquishes his secrets.

Yeah, sorry but Stroker speaks the truth!

As for whether this is for sonic or visual effect, I get asked to add patina quite often so thought I'd do this experiment to at least be able to offer it as an option. It's *always* sound first as far as I'm concerned, and these will each have some effect on the sound, but to varying degrees. The heavier ones like 1, 2, 7 & 16, for example, will act to dry things out much more than, say, 4... although that one will have its own subtle effect.

I'm not really interested in gimmicks and visuals, I always say a well made thing looks good anyway, as a natural result of being well made! But if someone wants a patina, I got patina! Next is to apply to a whole cymbal, I have a couple ready to go so will post the results...

Keep up the great work, DC! Very interesting stuff.

Back