Pat Petrillo here!

Hi guys! and thanks , Bart!

I know it's been a while, but a wirlwind of activity, clinics, the LTRRB DVD is launched with ALFRED!, PASIC, upcoming NAMM clinics..and of course the Collective in NYC..anyway, will be back around more often!!

So, my website is UP AND RUNNING! Online lessons for download in the works, but you can preview them now here
www.patpetrillo.com

Thanks, and sorry for not being more visible!!!

C Ya SOON!
Pat

Hi guys! and thanks , Bart!

I know it's been a while, but a wirlwind of activity, clinics, the LTRRB DVD is launched with ALFRED!, PASIC, upcoming NAMM clinics..and of course the Collective in NYC..anyway, will be back around more often!!

So, my website is UP AND RUNNING! Online lessons for download in the works, but you can preview them now here
www.patpetrillo.com

Thanks, and sorry for not being more visible!!!

C Ya SOON!
Pat

Looks great Pat, good to have you back! All the best in this holiday season. I'll hit you up sometime in the new year - you still holding lessons down in central NJ?

-Dominick

Pat,
I'm looking forward to your P4 practice pad - I've just ordered it (learned about the P4 pad on this forum) and will pick it up in a few days. (I already have a bunch of great pads but the P4 is clearly a new dimension and must have.) My music store (among the bigger ones in Germany) had to contact the distributor for availability/price so I'm assuming that the P4 isn't too popular in Germany yet. I'm sure this will change!

Your DVDs will be the next things I'll check out.

Pat, do you ever practice with "heavy" sticks, for more workout?

I've asked a few pro drummers on this forum to share some max bpm values for handwork/footwork and (which first surprised me) in most cases they couldn't give bpm's off the top of their head. I'm all numbers, I like having some orientation what pro drummers are up to purely physically. So what about some bpm's as to, say, single stroke roll, doubles, paradiddle? Thanks for your reply and for bearing with me.

UPDATE (Feb. 24rd)
The P4 has arrived - it's cool!! Plus my first pair of Pro Mark sticks, a nice combination.
I like the size of the P4 - it's everything but tiny and thus, allows for that 'getting around the kit' feel.

Last edited:
Hey Arky!

Thats great! So glad you dig it...Let me know how it is more beneficial than a "normal" pad..

Hey Arky!

Thats great! So glad you dig it...Let me know how it is more beneficial than a "normal" pad..
Pat,
the benefits are exactly as you describe on the YouTube outtakes from your DVD and product video on the P4:
- Various playing zones
- Various playing levels
- Various rebound feel AND sound per playing zone/rubber material

In total this makes the P4 clearly a "sophisticated" pad with unprecedented playing feel simulating a drumkit, providing a lot of fun using it. The P4 helps detecting weaknesses which aren't that obvious when using regular pads, it's a whole new challenge to adapt to the P4 and get comfy with it (at least to me - 1.5 years into drumming).

What I also like a lot is that the P4 allows to switch the hihat/ride hand which I practice a lot. It feels so much better doing this on the P4 than on the other pads I have (to simulate this I needed to use multiple pads so far). I'm still usingmy other pads - for more one-dimensional stuff, or often times isolated left hand workout, but the P4 is the boss pad for some extra fun.

The rebound feel on the P4 is something I'm still adjusting to. I was expecting a more "spongy" feel on the "tom" pads (I have very limited experience playing an actual full drumkit and don't have a full kit ATM). But the rebound is great to acquire the control to get ready for the real thing.

Your "Hands, Grooves, & Fills" DVD arrived yesterday (with "Learn to Read..." to be delivered in a few days - have ordered it at different sites). Wow! Pat, you did an excellent job! I've read recommendations of this DVD on Drummerworld and was sure your DVD would be great, now I know for myself ;-) You've combined so much useful material - that shorthand system, even a short "how to read rhythm" section.
I've never cared much about that "1e+a" counting method but now I see it makes perfect sense. From now on and esp. as soon as I'll get the "Learn to Read..." DVD this should completely change my approach to reading! Now THIS is important stuff, and I'm happy to get into proper reading at that stage, still in (almost) beginner mode.

Your rudiment shorthand system is quite interesting, too, but it's brand new for me.
The section on fills will take some time for me to work it through, haha.

In the Closing Notes section it was cool to see you've integrated your cute kids into the vid. The very ending of the DVD is really funny :)

--------

Yet another update (April 20th):
LTRRB has arrived! Again this is a superb DVD. I must admit that even having no proper formal education, I noticed that doing those exercises step by step are really conditioning me to take the next bite. Stopped at ex. 25 and will continue today.
Pat, thanks for another outstanding tutorial!

Last edited:
Sorry for the obviously dumb question, but, where can I purchase the DVD/Book and have it shipped internationally without having to pay almost the same price as the book for shipment (like in Amazon!) ?? :)

I have a few ebay sellers from which I usually purchase drum stuff, but this book/dvd is not sold by any of them.

Thanks and congratulations for the exceptional work!

Thanks everyone, for the great response!

Just want to announce that I have weekly spots for anyone who would like to do SKYPE Lessons! I have a great setup at my studio in New Jersey, AWESOME connection, and would love to work with you.

You can contact me thru my website, or Facebook, and we can connect on details!

http://www.patpetrillo.com/Contact.php

Thanks and all the best

Pat

Jason

Thanks so very much! I appreciate it, and its starting to get into many stores in the UK finally! Hope to come out in a few months!
Pat

Hi everyone...Sorry it has been so long! Just wanted to let you know, I did a clinic at PASIC this year, and it was really a blast! A great event...I had the honor of being visited by the great Steve Gadd, which was inspiring.

If you would like to see some more pictures, please visit the Facebook site

https://www.facebook.com/pat.petrillo.9

Thanks for the support!

Attachments

• 9235_10151298286173529_1044385057_n.jpg
    9235_10151298286173529_1044385057_n.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 1,045
Hi everyone...Sorry it has been so long! Just wanted to let you know, I did a clinic at PASIC this year, and it was really a blast! A great event...I had the honor of being visited by the great Steve Gadd, which was inspiring.

If you would like to see some more pictures, please visit the Facebook site

Thanks for the support!

Sure was a great clinic too! Great to see you, Pat.

-Ben

Was honored to get a visit from "Dr. Steve" at my PASIC Clinic. Such a kind, caring, and beautiful guy...and sounded amazing at his performance with Pedrito Martinez Group.

Attachments

• Pat and Steve.jpg
    Pat and Steve.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 818
Hi friends

As some of you have sent messages about what's happening with me, I want to let you all know that I have decided to leave Drummers Collective as a faculty member. For me, it's time to pursue the next thing in my life, and continue with clinic tours, gigs, and a new internet venture that I will announce soon. It's been a great run, and I wish the Collective all the best as they move forward. I will be available for private lessons at my studio in New Jersey, and Mondays in NYC at a space to be determined. I look forward to the future, and am inspired by all the support!

Feel free to stop by my facebook page at
https://www.facebook.com/pat.petrillo.9

New project with KICKSTARTER announcement coming soon.

Thanks again!

Hello, drumming friends

I hope this new year finds you all doing great in your drumming and life endeavors! For me, my life has taken a change for the better in both areas that I would like to share.

Having been a member here for many years, I hope you will allow me to present my new venture to you.

I have launched a new kickstarter campaign for my new online lesson website called Drum Studio Live.com! I will be offering live, streaming lessons from my cool new studio in New Jersey as well as live master classes from greats like Gerry Brown, Liberty DeVitto, Bernard Purdie, Paul John Jr, and many other NYC/NJ/Philly area drummers.

Also included in this will be the Groovalution Video lesson Series, which will also be a new DVD with pdf's and mp3 play alongs!

As many of you who follow me on Facebook may know, I am no longer a faculty member at Drummers Collective. I have decided to make this site, drumstudiolive.com, my new "home", so I may bring high quality drum education to the world in this amazing new format.

If you are so inclined, please visit the kickstarter page by following the link, watch the video, and read the many pledge reward incentives I am offering.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-les?ref=email

Thanks for your time, and please help spread the word!

Can't wait Pat, I will be contributing soon.

Probably also see you this Saturday at Fanwood school - I see Dennis will be there too... maybe I'll ask Ed Argenziano if he's going :) Then I can bask in the glory of all 3 of my teachers!

-Dominick

DOm

As u know, it was cancelled..NEXT SATURDAY its ON!

Please consider a pledge to my kickstarter!! Thanks...see ya soon.

Back