"Parallel" Stick Models

vyacheslav

Hello,

I started a thread a little while ago about the Regal Tip Session stick being identical to the Vic Firth Keith Carlock Signature. This got me thinking about other sticks from different manufacturers that are essentially the same stick. I am a Certified Stick Nerd (trademark pending), and thought of a few others. Feel free to chime in. Here's what I've come up with (I'm sure there are others):

The aforementioned Regal Tip Session is identical to the Vic Firth Keith Carlock.

The Vater Jazz Ride is identical to the Vic Firth Peter Erskine Ride. (As an aside, the Vater "BeBop" Models come in three different diameters (.500, .525 & .550) and are just three thinner but exact versions of the Jazz Ride/Erskine Ride Stick. They come in Hickory and Maple too).

The Vater Recording is identical to the Vic Firth Dave Weckl (original model, just no burgundy paint)

The Pro-Mark Bill Bruford SD4 Maple is identical to the Vic Firth SD4 Maple.

The discontinued Pro-Mark 5AST Stinger (still available online) is identical to the Vic Firth Stanton Moore (Stinger is 1/8" shorter).

The discontinued Bopworks Shelly Manne is identical to the Zildjian Hal Blaine.

The Canopus CPKE is identical to the Regal Tip Jeff Hamilton, just thicker (Hamilton is .500, CPKE is .570, Everything else is the same, tip, taper and glossy finish).

The Vater 8A (and the Vic Firth 8A, and even Regal Tip 8A) is identical to the Regal Tip Jeff Porcaro. Even though every company offers common models between them (7A, 5A, 5B etc.), they all have their own unique tip, taper, slight difference in weight etc., depending on the company. Why is it that all 8A's, regardless of company, have barrel tips and all have the same weight and taper?

What are some others you can think of?

Last edited:

Mustion

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the Vic Firth American Metal (aka baseball bat with red nylon tip) used to be the "Tommy Lee" signature model..

gish

Ok, I’ll play. The Vater Pro Rock appears to be nearly identical to Pro Mark’s 747.

Last edited:

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I've also learned over the years that between the difference in feel due to a particular company's method of treating the wood and tolerances involved that very few "identical" models actually feel the same.

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
Isn't the Vater West Side the Vic Firth Buddy Rich without the horrible white finish that marks up the cymbals?

vyacheslav

Isn't the Vater West Side the Vic Firth Buddy Rich without the horrible white finish that marks up the cymbals?
Good call! Yes, they appear to be identical. Both are 16 5/16" long and .590 in diameter.

Also, the Vic Buddy Rich stick just plain bugs me. Show me one photo or video where Buddy is using sticks that look anything remotely close to that, let alone anything in a white finish.

gish

Vater seems to have a habit of copying certain Vic Firth models. Their Session model looks a lot like the VF 5A. Their Powerhouse model is a little smaller in the grip but closely mirrors the VF 2B. The Vater New Orleans Jazz model looks an awful lot like the VF 85A.

HolisticDrums

Good call! Yes, they appear to be identical. Both are 16 5/16" long and .590 in diameter.

Also, the Vic Buddy Rich stick just plain bugs me. Show me one photo or video where Buddy is using sticks that look anything remotely close to that, let alone anything in a white finish.

I think I managed to attach the picture correctly . This is a model that Buddy used some time in the 70's . It's a Ludwig model and as you can probably guess, is a similar tip as the Vic firth , a thinner shaft and a much thinner body . I'm not sure where Vic firth got their idea from .

A side point about the buddy rich Vic stick .. I liked playing it for a while but grew tired of it as i found it difficult to breeze through delicate patterns on cymbals / hi hat . I found that after some use , the stick got much faster and actually became my ideal stick ! I couldn't for the life of me find out why , the tip was pretty much sane, minimal chipping .
I've contacted a local artisinal (?) Stick company who offered to try remake the original buddy stick . Same tip and taper but a same diameter as the Vic stick .. I hope to get a prototype in a week or two .

*Edit : Picture could not attach but if you type in 'ludwig buddy rich stick ' to YouTube, it will show

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
I really liked the feel of the Vic Firth Buddy Rich but I didn't like all of the white paint on cymbals and rims, so that's why I tried the Vater West Side. Unfortunately the Vater tips chipped way too easily on a few different pairs so I gave up on them all together.

Yoshinya

Ok, I’ll play. The Vater Pro Rock appears to be nearly identical to Pro Mark’s 747.
You're right. Nearly identical. Both are 16 1/4" in length, but the Promark 747 is .551" in diameter and the Vater Pro Rock is .555". The Pro Rock taper is similar, but the 747 taper seems a little beefier to me. Pretty subtle differences, but they do feel a little different in the hand if you've been playing the 747 for about 25 years (like me)!

Living Dead Drummer

Platinum Member
Many stick models that have an artists name attached to them will be the same between companies because artist "A" was with one brand, switched, but still wanted the same thing they had before. So company "B" copied it.

Regal Tip Rock = Vater Stewart Copeland
Regal Tip Session = Keith Carlock
Pro Mark 5B = Vic Firth Ray Luzier
Pro Mark 5B = Zildjian Thomas Pridgen
Pro Mark 5B = Vic Firth Carter Beauford

And someone pointed out the Vic Firth Red Nylon Tip Metal model. Yes that was the Tommy Lee in the early 90's. I have a pair.

I'm also a drumstick nerd, lol

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
Vater Blazer = Vic Firth SD9.
Slightly different tip, but not enough to notice IME.
The taper is the bigger difference between the Blazer and the SD9...

Oddly enough the Blazer doesn't match Vater's own SD9. On paper they're both .610 dia. and 16.5" long, but the SD9 is both slightly thinner and not quite the same length either.

Yoshinya

Many stick models that have an artists name attached to them will be the same between companies because artist "A" was with one brand, switched, but still wanted the same thing they had before. So company "B" copied it.

Close, but not quite. The Vic Firth Carter Beauford is based on the Promark 5AB, which is essentially a Promark 5A, but with a beefier 5B-style taper and a rounded oval tip (similar to the 747). Additionally, his Vic Firth model has the Vic Grip dip (which he never had on his Promark model).

BertTheDrummer

Gold Member

Regal Tip Rock = Vater Stewart Copeland
Regal Tip Session = Keith Carlock
Pro Mark 5B = Vic Firth Ray Luzier
Pro Mark 5B = Zildjian Thomas Pridgen

And someone pointed out the Vic Firth Red Nylon Tip Metal model. Yes that was the Tommy Lee in the early 90's. I have a pair.

I'm also a drumstick nerd, lol
Exactly. Though a lot of times not necessarily always exactly the same, but yes.

Same thing with the Regal Tip 8A = Zildjian Dennis Chambers (I think)