Paraffin Wax Bearing Edge

Zeus Mutation

While watching a youtube vid on snare tuning... the guy said " some people like to put paraffin wax on their bearing edge" He added something to the effect of helping the head not bind at the snare bead?

This got me wondering about paraffin wax and my bearing edge for toms... I recently bought a low end kit and the word on the street, the bearing edges are inconsistent. A re-cut solves people issues. Anyone ever tried paraffin wax on the edge without a re-cut? Maybe the PW would even out any minor dents and imperfections?

Thnx

No Way Jose

Silver Member
Did you look at your bearing edges? Maybe they are OK. You can test if the edge is flat by laying a drum on a glass top table and testing if a piece of paper can be slid between the drum edge and glass surface.

Morrisman

Platinum Member
While watching a youtube vid on snare tuning... the guy said " some people like to put paraffin wax on their bearing edge" He added something to the effect of helping the head not bind at the snare bead?

This got me wondering about paraffin wax and my bearing edge for toms... I recently bought a low end kit and the word on the street, the bearing edges are inconsistent. A re-cut solves people issues. Anyone ever tried paraffin wax on the edge without a re-cut? Maybe the PW would even out any minor dents and imperfections?

Thnx
If the edge is a bit rough and shows up uneven on a flat surface, the cheap & nasty fix is to lay sandpaper on the bench and slide the drum over it, then gently smooth any rough/porous edges with fine sandpaper. When its better, wipe clean then apply the wax.
I did this with a horrible old 60’s MIJ kit and it has smoothed the pores in the wood and made it easier to fine tune the drums. Proper recutting would have cost more than the entire kit.

Zeus Mutation

Did you look at your bearing edges? Maybe they are OK. You can test if the edge is flat by laying a drum on a glass top table and testing if a piece of paper can be slid between the drum edge and glass surface.

The edges are fine enough. I took everything apart... went back seamlessly and the new heads seat well. I was more curious versus having a problem. The kit is for travel and rehearsal space. It only needed to be serviceable. Its actually sounding pretty damn awesome though, lol.

Zeus Mutation

If the edge is a bit rough and shows up uneven on a flat surface, the cheap & nasty fix is to lay sandpaper on the bench and slide the drum over it, then gently smooth any rough/porous edges with fine sandpaper. When its better, wipe clean then apply the wax.
I did this with a horrible old 60’s MIJ kit and it has smoothed the pores in the wood and made it easier to fine tune the drums. Proper recutting would have cost more than the entire kit.

Absolutely! The kit isn't bad at all, just wondering if the wax was a good hack. It's not, lol. 2006 PDP MX-R sizing. Sounds great!