Paradiddles

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
How many months has it been since you started working on this? what is your level of drumming? there is a lot not specified here. My guess is OP is pretty new to drumming / rudiments and playing too fast. Slow down. Slow WAAAAY down. Par........A........Did.......Dle.... Par........A......Did......Dle

like painfully slow. or Say RIght......Left......Right.....Right......Left.....Right.....Left......Left for the first while even.

It comes down to muscle memory........... once you get it slow speed it up VERY gradually..

Sometimes you can count Right a diddle, Left a diddle if it helps too.

I've been drumming for close to 25 years.. When I get into some complex odd time displaced stuff, there are times where I totally fall apart still. I slow it down, Iron it out then speed it up........

Rock Salad

Now, when counting this I have been treating the paradiddle as a 1/16th note pattern and counting: One+2+3+4+Two+2+,etc. Or: One&a2&a...
Still waiting for this rudiment to reveal its secrets to me.
Any suggestions with counting it differently? I think that is where the secrets hide usually.

TMe

Any suggestions with counting it differently? I think that is where the secrets hide usually.
FWIW, I count them as 16ths (1e&uh, 2e&uh) but say Paradidlle, Paradiddle....

When I first learned them, I would play the right accent on the floor tom, the left accent on a rack tom, and the filler notes on the snare. That helped keep things straight.

Rock Salad

No problems with keeping them straight or anything, and I don't want to count (internally) all 16s anymore because why? plus can't go very fast counting that way.

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
No problems with keeping them straight or anything, and I don't want to count (internally) all 16s anymore because why? plus can't go very fast counting that way.
By the time you can play a paradiddle fast enough that internalizing 16th notes is holding you back, I don't think you are at a point you need to worry about how to count paradiddles.

That muscle memory will have kicked in, and your hands are just doing the work at this point. You should be able to watch tv and play diddles counting how ever you desire. I personally don't even count them. I just play them. I USED to forsure, and I'm sure I used to have to say "RIGHT LEFT RIGHT RIGHT" and focus making all kinds of drummer faces.

Learning them as triplets and displaced brought me back to beginner level when I started that, but I have done that enough times it just happens in my playing without thinking now.

For learning anything it's about slow and accurate. Once you have it, your body feels it. Nothing wrong with internalizing 16ths for beginners. Then going to. PAR PAR PAR or 1,2,3,4 instead of 1 e and a 2 e and a.