Paiste Vintage Black Labelled 2002s sound similar to current 2002s?

Max99

Hi, I am just curious; do the Vintage Black Label Paiste 2002 cymbals sound similar/the same as the newer red labelled ones?
Thanks
Max

Max99

Okay awesome thanks very much man :). Sorry I didn't notice the thread a bit below this one...haha

cornelius

Silver Member
I've owned a bunch of 2002s from the 70s 80s and 90s... All of the Black Labels were thinner than the Red Labels.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
A friend of mine has an early seventies Black Label 2002, 20" ride. I have a red label late seventies 2002, 20" ride. I can't tell the diff between his cymbal and mine. I have played his many times over the years.
I almost can't believe the consistency between these two cymbals. Its almost as if they were clones!

cornelius

Silver Member
All of my 70s 2002s are thinner/lighter in weight. If you A/B'd my old '77 ride with a new one, you'd immediately hear a difference! My old one is lighter and washier than the new ones. Also my SE hats are from '74 - these old hats sound smoother and not as metallic as my Red Label hats... the bottom cymbal is a little different (more "scallops").

I never weighed my 2002s, but on some forums, guys have weighed their Black Label vs. Red Label cymbals and have concluded that the older Paistes were in fact lighter in weight (sometimes marginally, sometimes not).