Paiste to Zildjian

braincramp

Gold Member
After years of playing a mix of cymbal but mostly Paiste I have decided to switch to all one brand.. Zildjian..thats brand not series.. but I am keeping it down to 2...A customs and K's.. I am using A custom crashes 18 and 20 along with a dark K custom 17 ..K 14" hats and a K 22" custom ride..A custom splash and china.. so far so good though it was really tough getting rid of the last few Paiste's a twenty crash and a sig dry ride.. I was just wondering how many of you change your whole line-up and how often.. I can see these lasting 2 years before wanting a change again...maybe?

I find it a bit sad that many people on these drum sites have to change their drum stuff all the time. In the good old days we used to keep our stuff for years and years.

Over the years I've managed to accumulate a collection of A's, A Customs, the odd K or two and a few Z Customs. With that lot, I never been found wanting for a set up and have chopped and changed what I use and when, at will.

However, I've recently just rolled in the opposite direction to you and picked up a set of Giant Beat multi's. That Paiste shimmer has interested me for years and I'm glad I took the plunge.....unfortunately, all it's done is given me a first hand taste for their cymbals and I now feel compelled to explore a few 2002's and possibly a Sig. or two as well. I have a shocking habit of keeping my cymbals even though they'll lay idle for years, so unlike yourself most of my Zilly's are definitely staying, with the exception of one or two I really should just get rid of due to complete lack of use - Z Customs and A Custom med ride, I'm looking at YOU!

When, oh when, does this silly addiction for new or unexplored sounds end?!?!?!

Last edited:
I've changed cymbal brands only one time. A few years ago i went from Zildjian A and A Customs to Sabian AAX. I loved my Zildjian's and honestly i sometimes wish i had a few of them back. I'm very happy with my Sabians though. I use 14" Stage Hats, 21" Stage Ride, 19" and 18" Xplosion Crash's. My old Zildjian set up consisted of 14" New Beat Hats, 20" Rock Ride, 19" and 18" A Custom Medium Crash's. I switched basically because i liked the sound of the Sabian's a little better. I will likely be useing this set-up hopefully for years to come.

I've changed cymbal brands only one time. A few years ago i went from Zildjian A and A Customs to Sabian AAX. I loved my Zildjian's and honestly i sometimes wish i had a few of them back. I'm very happy with my Sabians though. I use 14" Stage Hats, 21" Stage Ride, 19" and 18" Xplosion Crash's. My old Zildjian set up consisted of 14" New Beat Hats, 20" Rock Ride, 19" and 18" A Custom Medium Crash's. I switched basically because i liked the sound of the Sabian's a little better. I will likely be useing this set-up hopefully for years to come.
Once you get the best you don't have to go back to the rest. :) I borrowed my buddies Zildjian A medium ride, and 16" crash, and couldn't give them back to him fast enough.

One of my sets is all Zildjian from several series ...

The other is all Paiste again from different series ...

The last is a mix of Zildjian and Sabian with a Wuhan China thrown in for good measure ...

I can't imagine just making a total switch ... so much great stuff from so many brands.

I've played Zildjian cymbals for about 46 years, then about 4 years ago Sam, an employee at a Five Star shop I frequent, asked me to try some Sabian 14" Evolution hi hats. I just couldn't get that buttery sound out of my head and that's what started me looking at their HHX and Hand Hammered lines. Now I have a majority of Sabian cymbals compared to that of Zildjian. It would be dishonest of me saying that I like the sound of one better than the other, because I don't.

I never really got into Paiste, although I do listen to them every now and again. If I ever did get interested enough to buy some, it would be their Signature series since I can probably find my sound more readily in that series more than others.

I never get tired of listening to quality cymbals, no matter who makes them.

Dennis

Once you get the best you don't have to go back to the rest. :) I borrowed my buddies Zildjian A medium ride, and 16" crash, and couldn't give them back to him fast enough.

Zildjian A Medium Rides and Crashes SUCK. Except the 24" A medium ride.

Zildjian makes WAY better stuff than that. Please don't judge zildjian just by those A mediums. I am with you on that one, they do sound hi pitch, and Clangy.

I've always been primarily Zildjian with a lot of Paistes thrown in but have recently sold them (the Paistes) all off. I like the Giant Beats and some of the 2oo2s, but these days my ears are just wanting B20. I don't know why.

I didn't used to like Sabian that much but they've done a pretty good job providing a lot of options and sizes. So, I decided to focus on finding some that I like and build a set of those. I have mostly AAXs: 14" Stage Hats, 21" Stage Ride, 20" Xplosion, and an HHX 18" Xplosion.

They're pretty cool but I'm keeping my Zildjians (14" New Beats, 18" A Cust Proj, 19" A Cust, 20" K Crash Ride). I can switch back and forth on a whim, but usually end up mixing them up. I still give a slight edge to the Zildjians, but that's probably due to having played them since childhood. But they also seem to have a bit more headroom and are slightly brighter and more responsive.

Oh, and the A Zildjian Medium Rides? Probably my favorite of the Zildjian Rides right there. I've had a couple (a 20" and a 22") and have a 21" on the way. Different strokes, I guess...

I have a set of K's with a few alternate hats/rides/crashes I sub in and out and then a set that has A New Beats / Sweet Ride and Armand Crashes with a few alternate rides and hats. I could mix and match between the 2 and will on occasion but generally I am looking for one sound or the other on a given track

For most of my 45 years of drumming, I have relied on A. Zildjians. I have a few Paiste and Sabian cymbals, but Zildjian is the main choice.

After years of playing a mix of cymbal but mostly Paiste I have decided to switch to all one brand.. Zildjian..thats brand not series.. but I am keeping it down to 2...A customs and K's.. I am using A custom crashes 18 and 20 along with a dark K custom 17 ..K 14" hats and a K 22" custom ride..A custom splash and china.. so far so good though it was really tough getting rid of the last few Paiste's a twenty crash and a sig dry ride.. I was just wondering how many of you change your whole line-up and how often.. I can see these lasting 2 years before wanting a change again...maybe?

I might get flamed for this, but why the downgrade? ;)

I might get flamed for this, but why the downgrade? ;)

Here you go...

CO_flame_thrower_00-00-93.jpg

Watch out you dont get burned...lol.

I find it a bit sad that many people on these drum sites have to change their drum stuff all the time. In the good old days we used to keep our stuff for years and years.

Because your Mapex kit is the same one you were using 20 years ago? :p

I've used Zildjian for over 20 years. I recently added in some Paiste crashes. Not because I think they are better/worse, I just wanted to hear something different for a change.

But, despite changing the crashes, I'm still keeping the same rides I purchased 20 years ago.

For now.

Check back in another 20 and we'll see. LOL.

Because your Mapex kit is the same one you were using 20 years ago? :p

I've used Zildjian for over 20 years. I recently added in some Paiste crashes. Not because I think they are better/worse, I just wanted to hear something different for a change.

But, despite changing the crashes, I'm still keeping the same rides I purchased 20 years ago.

For now.

Check back in another 20 and we'll see. LOL.
I will have it for 20 years I can almost guarantee that. :)

Whatever sounds good to you; and makes ya happy.

I've owned a bunch of all three big brands (Paiste, Zildjian, Sabian). They are all different, and honestly, I don't think any one brand's pro cymbals are better than the others.

My current rock setup is all Sabian and my jazz pies are Zildjian.

I'm 49 and I guess old enough to remember the good ole days... I had old A zildjians from teens thru close to 30 and was very satisfied though I would drool over the Paiste 2002's at the music store wishing I could afford to "sound just like Bonham".. Once I was able to afford to buy anything out there, I went right for the Paistes and loved them and still do..(even though they didn't make me sound just like Bonham).. the past few years I have dabbled into all of the big 3 along with some Turkish made stuff Istanbul's, Soultone...I have had a great time trying out all the different flavors out there.. its a great experience.. but now want to go back to my roots with all Zildjian again...just K's and A Customs though.. though I loved the good old days I much prefer todays availability to change cymbals via ebay or other used markets at will..

Back