Paiste Ride Cymbal Input

Hello everyone.

I am looking for a new Paiste ride cymbal and would like some input and suggestions.
I am going to sell my Paiste Sound Formula Full Ride because I am looking for something a bit drier and with a more defined bell that isn't to aggressive.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Peace.

Have you perused the Paiste site and sampled their different lines?

Have you perused the Paiste site and sampled their different lines?

That's what I'd do too.

Paiste is renowned for its consistency. So what you hear is very close to what you get.

Have you considered other brands?

Drier and subtler than a Sound Formula? You're looking at the Twenty, Masters, or Traditionals. The Twenty Series is reasonably priced and underrated IMO. There's a (definitely more expensive) Masters Series Dry Ride to consider as well.

Based on what you're looking for, perhaps a nice ride to keep an eye out for is the Dimensions series Dry Ride. It is not overly aggressive and the driest ride I ever owned. Great ride for the studio.

I think I have it narrowed down to a Paiste twenty 22" ride, of the 20" dry heavy ride. Thanks folks for your response. I'll let you know which one do I get.

I think I have it narrowed down to a Paiste twenty 22" ride, of the 20" dry heavy ride. Thanks folks for your response. I'll let you know which one do I get.
Looking forward to hearing back from you as to what you settled on.

I would personally go for the 22" Twenty ride. I have played on quite a few of them, and they have a pleasantly dry ping while still having a reasonable amount of warm, dark wash that adds complexity to the tone. It stands up to heavier playing, but it still crashes quite nicely.

I am personally not a big fan of the 20" Signature Dry Heavy ride. A friend of mine let me borrow his for a gig, and offered to sell it to me, but I ultimately decided against it. I found it to be rather harsh, and too bright for my taste, and lacking in the warmth that I got from the Twenty ride. The choice is yours, but I would go for the 22" Twenty ride.

I've got a 22" Twenty Ride in excellent condition that I would be willing to part with. PM me if interested.

Love the 20" dry heavy. I hat the 22" version and it was a tad overpowering in some settings. The 20" doesn't suffer this problem, the bell is sweet as a nut and it records like an absolute dream.

Highly recommended!

20 series? They don't make that series anymore, at least it's not on their site .... OR ....I can't find it! :(

20 series? They don't make that series anymore, at least it's not on their site .... OR ....I can't find it! :(

Yeah, it's discontinued now. Shame, it was a great series. Very similar to 80's era Sabian HH's. I have a whole line up of them which I will never part with.

I love their rides. I have three :)

24" Paiste Formula 602 Modern Essentials Ride
24" Paiste 2002 Ride (RH Crash)
22" Paiste 2002 Ride (LH Crash)

Don't know if you've purchased a new ride or not. I'm actually changing my cymbal voice after 27 years with Paiste. I love Paiste and think they're very innovative but just want a change.

Regarding a dry cymbal that's not aggressive, I have a 20" Signature Dry Dark ride up for grabs (PM me if interested). It looks like a beast but is not as "metallic" sounding as the Sig Dry Heavy.

Back