Paiste ownership decimated for now :(

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Maybe it’s not meant to be. I ordered the 22” Traditionals Light Ride and that arrives with a bent edge. Then my order for the Masters 20” Extra Thin and 2002 17” hats arrive missing the hi hat bottom! On top of that, the top hi hat has clearly been played.

So those just got sent back. I’m just gonna do this right and bring my sticks to Pro Drum and just test stuff all day. I told them I’m coming in and will want lunch too. Maybe I’ll clean my Zildjians too and see how much better they sound. I could end up with Sabians. We’ll see.

I’m just disappointed at these online vendors for screwing stuff up. That’s never happened before. Weird.

I'm surprised that with you being in So. Cal., you didn't go to a store to try them in person
Ya - everyone says Paiste are consistent, but on-line orders are usually the luck of the draw.

When you do go in, try to keep an open mind (and ears), and give everything a fair try.

I'm surprised that with you being in So. Cal., you didn't go to a store to try them in person
Ya - everyone says Paiste are consistent, but on-line orders are usually the luck of the draw.

When you do go in, try to keep an open mind (and ears), and give everything a fair try.

Oddly - even the vaunted Pro Drum didn't have the Signature Traditionals, so I'll be going in to look at everything else they might have. There's a chance they have the 17" Sound Edge's though. But I'm looking forward to trying what they have - I haven't tested cymbals in years.

Sorry to hear about your order. But it may be a blessing. Because now you are going to do it the correct way.

Be very aware of what stick you use to test cymbals. I recently discovered and I was very surprised how much the stick you use affects the sound of the cymbal. I tried one ride cymbal with two different sticks and the cymbal sounded like two different cymbals depending on which stick I used. Sticks also affect crash cymbals in the same manner.

Sorry to hear about your order. But it may be a blessing. Because now you are going to do it the correct way.

Be very aware of what stick you use to test cymbals. I recently discovered and I was very surprised how much the stick you use affects the sound of the cymbal. I tried one ride cymbal with two different sticks and the cymbal sounded like two different cymbals depending on which stick I used. Sticks also affect crash cymbals in the same manner.

The shape of the stick's tip is especially a factor in that. More so than other factors at least in my experience.

Why you just limiting yourself to the big names? Why not go for some handmade crafted in Turkey cymbals?

Simply because when I was a kid, Zildjian and Paiste were the only names. It's like listen to one side of the radio. Now I can afford to try the "other" brand, so that's what I'm doing. The big stores around me have a hard time stocking popular models from Zildjian, Sabian, and Paiste. Short of attending the NAMM show to hear these Turkish cymbals in an acoustically bad setting, it would be even more difficult to figure what they're like without buying them.

I saw Jeff Hamilton playing his new Sabian/Crescent Hammer series, and those look promising. The shop might have some of those since they're so close to Jeff too. But I'm looking to get away from the gonginess of the Zildjian/Sabian thing and move into a more crystal/dark/trash of the Paiste, so I don't need to go too exotic. And there's aftermarket warranty that I've never experienced before either - and the big names provide that if there's something wrong with their product. I'm sure the Turkish brands do the same thing, but they don't have quite the network of support that the big brands have set up for themselves over the decades.

Another reason I'm so generic in my stick choice. I've played the Vic Firth natural tip 5A for mostly all of my professional career now and have a hard time trying anything new. So I just stick with it.

Speaking of weird,Craigslist in San Fran has a much better variety of drum and cymbal gear than SoCal.
You would think with all the music industry down there that wouldn't be the case.

Feel sorry for ya dude, Paiste are the only cymbals I'll buy blind online for the consistency. The retailer has been very naughty here, I'd have had some strong words with them for trying to flog me knackered cymbals when you've paid top dollar.

Do you folks have Thomann in the US? Based in Germany so that's about as close to Switzerland as you can order from. Not sure what the import duty is to the US though.

I order my Paiste Cymbals from Sweetwater Music, exclusively, and have been overwhelmingly delighted with their service.

I order my Paiste Cymbals from Sweetwater Music, exclusively, and have been overwhelmingly delighted with their service.

Well, this whole episode is my dealing with Sweetwater. Now one of their sales reps is trying to contact me about what happened now that everything is on its way back to them.

That is strange to have bad service from sweetwater. No joke, I have spent around 6K on Paiste cymbals from there in the past year. No regrets, because after owning hundreds of medels of other brands of cymbals, I have the set that fits my playing style and I love them.

I recently discovered and I was very surprised how much the stick you use affects the sound of the cymbal.

Seriously? And you've been playing for how long?

qsqgx.jpg

Maybe it’s not meant to be. I ordered the 22” Traditionals Light Ride and that arrives with a bent edge. Then my order for the Masters 20” Extra Thin and 2002 17” hats arrive missing the hi hat bottom! On top of that, the top hi hat has clearly been played.
I’m just disappointed at these online vendors for screwing stuff up. That’s never happened before. Weird.

Very unusual service from Sweetwater. Like others here, I've ordered $$$$ worth of gear and their fulfillment has been spot on.

And I don't think "it's not meant to be". I think the cymbal gods want you to want it more, and not give up so easily.

When I work in L.A., I visit Pro Drum Shop. Lotsa goodies to fuss with, but the quantity of cymbals on display is a bit slim.

My daughter spent a few years in Memphis, and when I'd visit, we'd go to the Memphis Drum shop. Now that's as cymbal room! Plus, they encourage drummers to try out the cymbals on the drum kit in the middle of the room.

11247707_10153567701452474_190765713538388362_o.jpg

That is strange to have bad service from sweetwater. No joke, I have spent around 6K on Paiste cymbals from there in the past year. No regrets, because after owning hundreds of medels of other brands of cymbals, I have the set that fits my playing style and I love them.

I’ve bought a lot of electronic things from them over the years and I’ve never had an issue. So this surprised me. Maybe it was just fate telling me that I need to see, hear, and feel them before buying.

Funny when I called ProDrum and said what I was looking for, the Paiste rep was actually there and told me whatever I ordered, they’d get it by Wednesday anyway. So I’ll go down have some lunch take home what I can and pick it all up next week.

Seriously? And you've been playing for how long?

OK, so I probably did not need to mention the stick thing to all you veteran drummers. I played drums for 20 years until I was 22 years old. Then I quit for about 42 years. I just started playing again about 5 years ago. My father told me 60 years ago to test cymbal sounds with the same stick I normally use. I never thought much about it until 2 years ago when I tried using two different sticks at Guitar Center. I just thought I'd share my WOW moment.........

Very unusual service from Sweetwater. Like others here, I've ordered $$$$ worth of gear and their fulfillment has been spot on.

And I don't think "it's not meant to be". I think the cymbal gods want you to want it more, and not give up so easily.

When I work in L.A., I visit Pro Drum Shop. Lotsa goodies to fuss with, but the quantity of cymbals on display is a bit slim.

My daughter spent a few years in Memphis, and when I'd visit, we'd go to the Memphis Drum shop. Now that's as cymbal room! Plus, they encourage drummers to try out the cymbals on the drum kit in the middle of the room.

That's my new wallpaper. I need to see that throughout the day.

Back