Paiste Giant beat vs. 2002's

braincramp

Gold Member
I'm switching back to Paiste after a year or so of all Zildjian K's.. I switch every year or so and now seems like the time though I will miss my K's.. I got my whole Paiste set-up now (combo of 2002's,Rudes and Twenty's) with the exception of an 18" crash..cant seem to decide between a GB or a 2002...leaning toward the GB for the only reason is I've never owned one....thoughts?

Cameo

Gold Member
I love Giant Beats! Except the hi-hat, if I played Paiste that would be the Steve Jordan combo; 17" Signature Traditional crash over Dark Energy MKII crash...

I'd go with a 20" Giant Beat. Hehe.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Bought the three multi's a year or so ago. I absolutely love the things. There's a strength to the mid-range tones that is just unbelievable. Tough call, as all they've done is make me want to buy some more Paiste B8. So I'm on the hunt for 2002's as well.

The 2002's have more cut and are a brighter sounding cymbal. But there is something majestic about the sound of the GB's IMHO......especially that 24" ride. The Giant Beats are still glassy enough, are plenty loud enough and definitely have that famed Paiste shimmer, but the tonal complexity seems to lie in the mid-ranges. If you play next to a stack of Marshalls, you may just get a shade more clarity and cut out of a 2002.

Hell, I'm no good to you, I can't decide either.....eventually I'll end up with sets of both no doubt.

eamesuser

Silver Member
+ 1 on all the previous comments,the only thing I will ad is that originally the giant beats were in my mind more general multipurpose use cymbals as far as the larger cymbals went,they were good as crash/ rides whereas the 2002's are more specialized as far as their applications go.

opentune

Platinum Member
I've started on a bunch of 2002's (crashes, rides, hats) but am slowly switching over to GB's. Just got the 18 and 20 crashes in past couple months. Both 2002 and GB's are great cymbal lines but the latter is more versatile for me and what I've been playing. I do like its slightly darker timbre, and can go with only a 2 cymbal setup with the 18 and 20 crash/rides. I will stay with 2002 medium hats, good and cutting. With the setup you describe, you can't go wrong either another 2002 or GB.Really, its all about taste and journey to the sound you see yourself in.

Ian - I have to say I don't like the glamorous shiny appearance of the new 2002 line (seems too polished for me).

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Ian - I have to say I don't like the glamorous shiny appearance of the new 2002 line (seems too polished for me).
That's the "Wild" line of the 2002 series.......I actually find them too shrill and piercing for my tastes. As far as I know the standard 2002's, the Thin, Medium and Power lines are all still thankfully the same finish as we know and love.

Just been playin' my GB's. Can't say I can fault their sound......just excellent sounding pies. Was really enjoying hearing that 18" crash open up........so cool! Still want those damned 2002's though.

Lilbonzo

I'm in the same boat, used to have a full set of 2002's, lost the hats to a crack tho, replaced em with zildjian A 15" a then gradually added more zildjians. I've had 3 zildjian rides now, and although I like the bell, the rest of the cymbal sounds really metaly (sp?).

So now going back to my paiste's. Although, I've been working hard and may treat myself to the GB 24" ride and 20" crash, to go with my 2002 18" crash, and zildjian hats (they are pretty awesome) cos I can't afford the two cymbals plus the hats. :-(

I play classic rock, stones, faces, zep, humble pie, black crowes - so GB's should fit damn near perfectly. Gonna head out tomorrow and try track some down - I gotta see and hear before I buy, there's no other way.

Coldhardsteel

Gold Member
The 2002's have more cut and are a brighter sounding cymbal. But there is something majestic about the sound of the GB's IMHO......especially that 24" ride. The Giant Beats are still glassy enough, are plenty loud enough and definitely have that famed Paiste shimmer, but the tonal complexity seems to lie in the mid-ranges.
This has to be my favorite part of the GB's as well. Their versatility is a testament tot their mellow character. Perfect thickness, perfect allow and tempering and hammering, makes them big and full and strong and... Confident. Somebody plays a Zildjian A, it's nice and all, but crashing a 24" Giant Beat makes heads turn.

I would go with the GB, for the sake of color variation. They're made of B8 like the 2oo2's, but the voices are different.

Lilbonzo

ok, so I found some GB's and had a play. Seriously nice cymbals, that 24"er is massive!!! (ooh errr, etc). Sounds awesome tho.

I had heard/read that they were quite thin cymbals, but I was a bit shocked as to how thin. I haven't purchased yet due to this.

I play quite a lot and all the gear goes in the van along with keys, amps, guitars, Rodney (singers mic stand) and 5 generally drunk smelly blokes - so i've been wondering if these cymbals (esp the 24" as its so big) will be more likely to be damaged.

Obviously, its a question no-one can answer truthfully, but its made me think about getting a 22" 2002 instead.

confused.com/overthinking

opentune

Platinum Member
ok, so I found some GB's and had a play. Seriously nice cymbals, that 24"er is massive!!! (ooh errr, etc). Sounds awesome tho.

I had heard/read that they were quite thin cymbals, but I was a bit shocked as to how thin. I haven't purchased yet due to this.

I play quite a lot and all the gear goes in the van along with keys, amps, guitars, Rodney (singers mic stand) and 5 generally drunk smelly blokes - so i've been wondering if these cymbals (esp the 24" as its so big) will be more likely to be damaged.

Obviously, its a question no-one can answer truthfully, but its made me think about getting a 22" 2002 instead.

confused.com/overthinking
A hardshell case should be fine, if you get one that big.
On the other hand, a 22" 2oo2 ride would actually mix quite well with 18 and 20 GB's. Same alloy, similar sound, just darker timbre on the GB's.

I too have been balking at the huge 24er but hear so many good things am gonna have to go for it.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Somebody plays a Zildjian A, it's nice and all, but crashing a 24" Giant Beat makes heads turn.
The funny thing is that I hear quite a few people refer to the GB's as being a similar sounding cymbal to the old A's from the 50's etc. Whilst I wouldn't call them an exact match by any means, I can certainly hear some of the characteristics there that causes people to draw a parallel between the two.

I too have been balking at the huge 24er but hear so many good things am gonna have to go for it.
Watch this space. Paiste recently released a limited run prototype 22" Giant Beat. There's a thread or two about them here, but I can't recall if any DW member actually got to play one. By all accounts the thing sold like hot cakes. It'll be interesting to see if Paiste add it to the line as a result.

Strangelove

Gold Member
Bought the three multi's a year or so ago. I absolutely love the things. There's a strength to the mid-range tones that is just unbelievable. Tough call, as all they've done is make me want to buy some more Paiste B8. So I'm on the hunt for 2002's as well.

The 2002's have more cut and are a brighter sounding cymbal. But there is something majestic about the sound of the GB's IMHO......especially that 24" ride. The Giant Beats are still glassy enough, are plenty loud enough and definitely have that famed Paiste shimmer, but the tonal complexity seems to lie in the mid-ranges. If you play next to a stack of Marshalls, you may just get a shade more clarity and cut out of a 2002.

Hell, I'm no good to you, I can't decide either.....eventually I'll end up with sets of both no doubt.
Excellent assessment. The only thing I might add is that to me, they seem to have a slight bit (albeit darker) shimmer than my 2002s.

Strangelove

Gold Member
Hello Stranger(love). It's been a long time. Was wondering how you've been mate. Hope all is well.
I am good, thanks. I had a spell of unemployment and lost the internet for a few months, but it's not the first time that has ever happened. The only thing I lost in Pawn was a Fender Jazz Bass, and no cymbals or drums, so I am good in that regard. I miss my bass, though.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
I am good, thanks. I had a spell of unemployment and lost the internet for a few months, but it's not the first time that has ever happened. The only thing I lost in Pawn was a Fender Jazz Bass, and no cymbals or drums, so I am good in that regard. I miss my bass, though.
Good to see you back on your feet.

Shame. A beautiful instrument. Had the privilege of several of them sharing my stage over the years. I'd miss it too. Couldn't imagine you parting with your cymbals though. You'd sell the kids off before it ever came to that, surely? :)

Strangelove

Gold Member
Good to see you back on your feet.

Shame. A beautiful instrument. Had the privilege of several of them sharing my stage over the years. I'd miss it too. Couldn't imagine you parting with your cymbals though. You'd sell the kids off before it ever came to that, surely? :)
LOL - don't tell my wife............................