Paiste Giant Beat vs. 2002 vs. Big Beat Video

wildbill

Platinum Member
Very nice.

What I especially like about all your videos are the isolated, head to head, direct comparisons towards the end.
Most people seem to omit those.

And while playing the whole set gives a good indication of how they'll sound in context,
the isolated comparisons are much better for actually making a decision if you have an
idea of the type of sound you're after.

Once again - nice job.

yammyfan

Loved them all - the 2002s especially. I'm fortunate to own 16, 18, 19 and 20 inch 2002 crashes plus the 20 and 24 inch rides and 10 inch splash. 15 inch Sound Edge hi hats too.

I'm grateful for these DCP comparison videos as they have helped me with some buying decisions; my new Stage Custom Birch kit being the latest example. Thanks, guys!

jdavis

Another great video, guys. Thanks!

I'm a Giant Beat guy and this video just reinforces that opinion. 2002's are a bit brighter and cool for a lot of music genres. Big Beats are OK too but never liked the way they play. Not much flex or give to them like the GBs or 2002s, IMO.

Would be cool to hear some 602s added to the comparisons. (y)

ZildjianLover

The Giant Beats seem to be the most versatile out of the three cymbal lines, as they are bright enough to cut through most rock music, but still possess enough warmth for other genres. I once played a jazz gig on a set with Giant Beat cymbals, and they served their purpose well. The 2002s are a little too bright for my taste, but I understand why they are so popular. The Big Beats have a very nice dark, jazzy tone, especially in regards to the 24" ride, and I dare say, other than the Signature Dark Energy series, they are my favorite line of Paiste cymbals.

All_The_Drums

Loved them all - the 2002s especially. I'm fortunate to own 16, 18, 19 and 20 inch 2002 crashes plus the 20 and 24 inch rides and 10 inch splash. 15 inch Sound Edge hi hats too.

I'm grateful for these DCP comparison videos as they have helped me with some buying decisions; my new Stage Custom Birch kit being the latest example. Thanks, guys!
Seriously. How good are those Stage Customs for the money?

Stroman

Platinum Member
Thanks for that vid. I never gave the Big Beats much notice, but dayum those sounded nice! I loved the shimmer combined with just the right amount of "dirt." Really great sounding cymbals, to my ear.

Stroker

Platinum Member

I'm with you on the 2002's! They call out to my soul.

Thanks DCP for another great video!

EricT43

The Giant Beats would be my pick from this bunch! I think it would be cool to have some music play-alongs in these these comparisons, since cymbals often sound so different in a mix than they do solo. But I understand it's not very practical to do that. Whatever music you chose would have 50% of the viewers complaining.

The Giant Beats would be my pick from this bunch! I think it would be cool to have some music play-alongs in these these comparisons, since cymbals often sound so different in a mix than they do solo. But I understand it's not very practical to do that. Whatever music you chose would have 50% of the viewers complaining.
I like the Giant Beats as well but I might sub out the hats and replace them with the 2002's sound edge hats. Hard decision, hmmmmm..........