Paiste Giant Beat edge dents

I read an article, was just looking for it, but can't find it again. It states how GB's aren't loud cymbals and aren't meant
to be used for loud rock - more of a jazz/small venue volume.
I think something about the way they're made makes them more prone to denting when hitting harder trying to get more volume.
I agree with that assessment. Giant Beats have thinner profiles than 2002s, just as Zildjian's A Avedis series, which I play, has thinner profiles than regular As. Some players see the Giant Beat as a 2002 alternative, but that interpretation is erroneous. The Giant Beat, yet again like Zildjian's A Avedis, is a fairly mellow cymbal. It's not an ideal pie for the basher, and when exposed to such torments, it's probably prone to impairment. Aggressive drummers are likely better off with 2002s or regular Zildjian As.

I agree with that assessment. Giant Beats have thinner profiles than 2002s, just as Zildjian's A Avedis series, which I play, has thinner profiles than regular As. Some players see the Giant Beat as a 2002 alternative, but that interpretation is erroneous. The Giant Beat, yet again like Zildjian's A Avedis, is a fairly mellow cymbal. It's not an ideal pie for the basher, and when exposed to such torments, it's probably prone to impairment. Aggressive drummers are likely better off with 2002s or regular Zildjian As.
Right, the 2oo2's were created in the first place as a replacement to the Giant Beat line, due to the fact of increased amplification of modern music at the time, and the artists/customers were hitting harder to compensate. The 2oo2's excel in these louder environments because that is what they were designed for. :)

Last edited:
Right, the 2oo2's were created in the first place as a replacement/predecessor to the Giant Beat line, due to the fact of increased amplification of modern music at the time, and the artists/customers were hitting harder to compensate. The 2oo2's excel in these louder environments because that is what they were designed for. :)
Precisely. Bonham switched from Giant Beats to 2002s because the latter had more cut and volume. I'm pretty sure he perceived the two series as distinct sonic classes, not as tonal equivalents with different labels.

Important note: Everyone associates Bonham with 2002s, but he didn't make a full conversion to the series until 1972. Hence, on Zeppelin's first four albums, we're hearing mostly Giant Beats.

Paiste's website features a chronology of Bonham's setup:

Precisely. Bonham switched from Giant Beats to 2002s because the latter had more cut and volume. I'm pretty sure he perceived the two series as distinct sonic classes, not as tonal equivalents with different labels.

Important note: Everyone associates Bonham with 2002s, but he didn't make a full conversion to the series until 1972. Hence, on Zeppelin's first four albums, we're hearing mostly Giant Beats.

Paiste's website features a chronology of Bonham's setup:

I'm a huge fan of Giant Beats and Bonham.
Thanks a million for sharing this!

I sold off my Giant Beats crashes, including the cracked thin crash, for decent $. I couldn’t find a buyer for the hi hats though. I thought about no longer owning Paistes, but I found a nice 2002 19” crash and Signature Reflector 17” crash and they’re awesome. I guess I can’t stop the Paiste love.

I've got the following 3 cymbals: Paiste Giant Beat 20" THIN, Paiste 2oo2 18" THIN crash, and Paiste 2oo2 Big Beat 18" (all the Big Beat cymbals are thin/light - by design). I'm 55 years old (been playing 40+ years), I don't hit especially hard, and I play with sticks that are usually in the 5A size category (VF Jojo Mayer, Steve Gadd, Vater Excel). I haven't broken a drumstick in probably 15 or 20 years. Here is what I have noticed: My 2oo2 Thin 18" still looks like a new cymbal - no dents, dings, or anything. I have played this cymbal the least, but I have played it. The Giant Beat 20" THIN has *very* small dents all around the edges - I've played this one the most of the three. The dents are so small you can only see them easily when you hold it up to the light at an angle, but they are definitely there. You can feel them if you run your finger slowly around the edge, very slightly. The 2oo2 Big Beat has the same exact kind of small dents, but I bought the Big Beat USED from Sweetwater and it came that way. I remember thinking - "somebody must have use metal sticks on this cymbal." But I see now how even with light wood sticks they can be dented. My advice to people considering either the Giant Beat THIN or the Big Beats is this: if you hit hard and/or use big heavy sticks, you will definitely dent them. Not sure about the Giant Beat "regulars" - i.e., not the THIN models. My Giant Beat 20" THIN is around 1600 grams, which is super light and thin for a 20" cymbal. The Giant Beat THIN models are just not built for very loud playing, and if you are trying to get past a certain volume level with them, you will end up hitting them harder than Paiste designed them for. Just move up to some heavier cymbals if you want the Paiste sound - the regular 2oo2 are probably what you need. That's why the regular 2oo2 line was developed in the first place - because Bonham and Appice and the hard hitters were cracking and denting the original Giant Beats in the 60s. The Giant Beat THIN cymbals and the 2oo2 Big Beats sound *wonderful* but they are not high volume cymbals. Even for old guys with light sticks. If you are looking for a low volume, warm sound that still has the Paiste shimmer, they are glorious and it's hard to find another cymbal that will do that for you. But back off on the volume if you don't want dents. Also - even with the miniscule dents, my cymbals still sound fantastic, and I have backed off on the volume with them so it doesn't get any worse. Anyway, this has been my experience with these 3 cymbals over the past 3 or 4 years.

I can not see any dents on the edges i own 14 in 2002 heavys hit the hell out of them never that problem can you send another pic with an arrow pointed at the dent.

Do not buy these cymbals. They WILL dent. I'm sadly disappointed with Paiste. I'm stuck with 1300 dollars worth of garbage. Im a 52 year old drummer playing in an alternative country band using 5as. Don't start with the technique speech. We all hit the edges of crashes. Do yourself a favor and stay with the Zildjians or anybody else. Keep in mind that Palate uses the direct Bonham endorsement. These really are trash. Sorry.
Are you referring to the Giant beat range?.

Back