Paiste Dark Energy Mk. I Ride vs. Meinl Byzance 21" Transition Ride

acsunda

Hey guys, I'm still dithering about which ride to get, but I have it narrowed down to either a Meinl Byzance 21" Transition Ride or a 20" Paiste Dark Energy Mk. I Ride. I've watched extensive video demos of both and I love both of their sounds. The Meinl is drier with more wash and has a great crash without losing too much ping, and the Paiste is a bit brighter with more ping but also still has a nice crash. What do you guys think? I am leaning toward the Meinl, simply because it's the most different of the two (compared to what I'm used to playing) and I've never owned a Meinl cymbal, and I want to try something different (both in terms of brand and the type of cymbal/sound). But man that Paiste sounds sooo great too. Any input would be much appreciated!

I actually liked the Dark Energy Mk 2 best for the Paiste Ride from the samples on their website and it's a lot of money to spend on a cymbal. I'm very impressed with Meinl cymbals but don't have any reference to the one you mentioned. Tuff choice I'm sure..

I am biased :)
I play a 20“ Dark Energy Ride Mk. I and is by far the best ride I have ever played. The sound is perfect from behind the kit but also on stage and for the audience. When I listened to some recordings, the sound was even better. But I usually don’t crash it.

All subjective based on the user....

I have a 21 DE Mk I Ride / 21 DE Mk 2 Ride and have owned in the past a 21 Transition.

My personal pref is the DE.

I would go with the Meinl. Personal opinion ofcourse, but i find Paiste rides to have too much ping (just the inherent Paiste sound).
The Transition Ride is also a model that's on my 'maybe the perfect all round ride' list haha

Man, I’m a meinl guy now (former Paiste though) and I think the dark energy mark I is the best ride you can buy.

I just never liked the transition ride. It has a strange sound. There are better ride options from meinl IMO

Man, I’m a meinl guy now (former Paiste though) and I think the dark energy mark I is the best ride you can buy.

I just never liked the transition ride. It has a strange sound. There are better ride options from meinl IMO
Which Meinl rides would you recommend? I tend to like rides on the drier side, but I'm trying to find a god balance between clear stick articulation and decent crashability.

Which Meinl rides would you recommend? I tend to like rides on the drier side, but I'm trying to find a god balance between clear stick articulation and decent crashability.

I still own the DArk energy Mark I (and mark 2 as well) so that’s the top choice.

but my favorite ride from mienl right now is the polyphonic ride 21”.. but if you want really dry I think the meinl Byzance vintage pure might fit the bill. I have the hi hats from that series and they are by far my favorite. Super dry and looks really cool.

I also really like the sand rides.

But to me, get the Paiste Dark Energy in the 22”..

Below is Benny greb playing the vintage pure cymbal line

I still own the DArk energy Mark I (and mark 2 as well) so that’s the top choice.

but my favorite ride from mienl right now is the polyphonic ride 21”.. but if you want really dry I think the meinl Byzance vintage pure might fit the bill. I have the hi hats from that series and they are by far my favorite. Super dry and looks really cool.

I also really like the sand rides.

But to me, get the Paiste Dark Energy in the 22”..

Below is Benny greb playing the vintage pure cymbal line

Ooh I dig that pure light ride. Dry, but still kind of crashy.

Get the Dark Energy. Trust me. It's a really great cymbal. I bought it on a whim and wasn't sure I would like it. I was wrong. It works really well for a lot of things. One of the best ride cymbals in the market, if you ask me. I have the 21 mark 1. I'm sure the Mk 2 would be great as well.

Get the Dark Energy. Trust me. It's a really great cymbal. I bought it on a whim and wasn't sure I would like it. I was wrong. It works really well for a lot of things. One of the best ride cymbals in the market, if you ask me. I have the 21 mark 1. I'm sure the Mk 2 would be great as well.
Does the Paiste have a decent crash? It's hard to be sure from videos. Also, how heavy is it compared to other rides?

Does the Paiste have a decent crash? It's hard to be sure from videos. Also, how heavy is it compared to other rides?

It has a strong, yet dry, medium crash sound. But it's a dark crash. It blends. I'm not sure how much my ride weighs, but it plays very medium. Not heavy and not thin. Let's use a Zildjian comparison, heavier than a K custom dark ride, but not as heavy as a K custom ride. Just buy one and give it a ride. That's what I did. You'll love it.

It has a strong, yet dry, medium crash sound. But it's a dark crash. It blends. I'm not sure how much my ride weighs, but it plays very medium. Not heavy and not thin. Let's use a Zildjian comparison, heavier than a K custom dark ride, but not as heavy as a K custom ride. Just buy one and give it a ride. That's what I did. You'll love it.
Thanks!

There's a 21 mark 1 available on reverb. $275 + 35 for shipping. That's about what I payed for mine.
Man I bought mine before I started really using reverb & payed 605 for my 22”

But then also bought the Mark II 21” on reverb for 250 a few months

I've got the 20" Mark I. It's dark for a Paiste but It's not that warm and more icy sounding and pingy but it will project more than the Meinl. Crash isn't that good to me because it's a bit heavy. I prefer my 602 medium ride for crashing.

IMHO the Dark Energy Mk2 is a far more versatile ride and much more suited to medium to louder volume music than the Mk1 . I have owned the Mk1 and Mk2 in 21” diameter and played each with a moderately loud amplified Rock trio and the Mk1 just disappeared in the ensemble . The Mk2 but through better .

I agree with RickP about the differences btw Mk1 and Mk2. I have both in 22“ and prefer the sound of the Mk1, but the Mk2 cuts through much better. I also have a 20“ Mk1 which I use for really small venues and recording.

Back