Paiste Alpha vs. Sabian AAX

Reilly98

hi, im stuck between getting either paiste alpha (soundedge 14" hi-hats, 17" rock crash, 18" rock crash, 22"rock ride)

or Sabian AAX (14" stage hi-hats, 17" stage crash, 18" stage crash, 21" stage ride)

i play rock, hard rock, a bit of punk rock, some metal

please tell me what you think.

MrPowerRide

The paiste alpha's are high quality b8 cymbals, and the aax's are b20, so the sounds are going to be a bit different. I play sabian right now and have stage hihats, and a couple aax dark crashes, aax rawbell dry , aax china, aax xplosion crash. I played paiste for 26 years straight, their alpha lines are pro quality, the soundedges are incredible sounding hihats, more crystaline than the aax, but the aax are incredible. the alpha rock crashes are nice for high end type crashing, they are not as full as a stage crash, but i t hink they have a better tone than the stage crashes. the stage ride is about equal to the alpha, i dont like either! lol the alpha pack you are talking about is much cheaper than the aax.

man, i dont know what to tell you, i have had both of all the cymbals you speak of, right now i'm with sabian, but the alpha soundedges are the best hihats out there for their price range and directly compete with aax stage hats as far as quality and sound. the rock crashes are nice, but not a full bodied crash, more hi end. the rides cancel each other out, cause i dont like either. either get a 2002 power ride or an aa rock ride and then you are talking comparable rides. But if i had to pick between the stage and the alpha rock, i'd go with the alpha rock. i t hink the stage rides really lack definition.

sorry for the long post, never thought i'd see an alpha vs aax thread, i like both alot, so its hard to pick.

D

DamoSyzygy

I always considered the Alphas to be merely an intermediate level of Paiste cymbal, so the AAX's would easily be my preference.

Reilly98

The paiste alpha's are high quality b8 cymbals, and the aax's are b20, so the sounds are going to be a bit different. I play sabian right now and have stage hihats, and a couple aax dark crashes, aax rawbell dry , aax china, aax xplosion crash. I played paiste for 26 years straight, their alpha lines are pro quality, the soundedges are incredible sounding hihats, more crystaline than the aax, but the aax are incredible. the alpha rock crashes are nice for high end type crashing, they are not as full as a stage crash, but i t hink they have a better tone than the stage crashes. the stage ride is about equal to the alpha, i dont like either! lol the alpha pack you are talking about is much cheaper than the aax.

man, i dont know what to tell you, i have had both of all the cymbals you speak of, right now i'm with sabian, but the alpha soundedges are the best hihats out there for their price range and directly compete with aax stage hats as far as quality and sound. the rock crashes are nice, but not a full bodied crash, more hi end. the rides cancel each other out, cause i dont like either. either get a 2002 power ride or an aa rock ride and then you are talking comparable rides. But if i had to pick between the stage and the alpha rock, i'd go with the alpha rock. i t hink the stage rides really lack definition.

sorry for the long post, never thought i'd see an alpha vs aax thread, i like both alot, so its hard to pick.
thanks alot this really helped!

razorx

Platinum Member
Let your ears be the judge. Cheaper may sound better to your ears....Just because a cymbal costs more doesn't mean it sounds better. I tested out some paiste signature dark energy crashes and rides and didn't see what the big deal was about them...I would NEVER pay what they want for them even if i could afford it.

MrPowerRide

Let your ears be the judge. Cheaper may sound better to your ears....Just because a cymbal costs more doesn't mean it sounds better. I tested out some paiste signature dark energy crashes and rides and didn't see what the big deal was about them...I would NEVER pay what they want for them even if i could afford it.
i completely agree with this statement. i dont think the DE's are anything special, but i dont play the music they are meant for. price isnt always an indicator of quality, and the alpha's prove that one to me. i like the alphas and aax's , so its hard to choose. if it comes to price then alpha wins easily.

kwon

Hi.

I've had my Paiste Alpha 20" Metal Ride for a little over a year now and I've realized its sound doesn't suit me. The cymbal's real nice, though. It has a nice bell and sounds real icy. But just not really my style. I saw this ad for a Sabian AAX Stage Ride and I was wondering if it had a bit brighter sound? I'm looking for a ride that I could hit like a crash. Is the AAX Stage Ride like that? Thanks in advance.

wildbill

Platinum Member
....I'm looking for a ride that I could hit like a crash...

The 21" Zildjian Sweet Ride is the best I've found for that.

There might be others that work as well, but I haven't run across them. And I do a fair amount of cymbal browsing at stores.