Paiste Alpha Metal Ride question

audioragegarden

I've been looking for a new ride cymbal to replace my PST 5 Rock Ride, and during my vetting process I've narrowed my selection down to four candidates: Sabian AA Raw Bell Dry Ride, 22" Paragon, AA Metal-X ride, and the 22" Paiste Alpha Rock Ride. The Alpha Rock Ride I love because of it's large bell and the tone the bell has, but the bow doesn't have as solid a tone as I'd like, too light and shimmery for my purposes. I wanted to check out the Alpha Metal Ride too because I've found a couple for cheap online, but none of the stores around me had one I could try out.

Just wondering if someone who has tried/owned it can offer any idea of how it sounds compared to the Rock version or any of the others I listed?

I don't have any of those mentioned but will offer this. Since most of the riding will be on the bow, you need that sound first. The large bell and sound is nice but won't get you through most applications.

For lower cost yet phenomenal sound ~ Go for Paiste Alpha metal ride. Nice glassy ping and pronounced bell, fantastic for metal.

I don't have any of those mentioned but will offer this. Since most of the riding will be on the bow, you need that sound first. The large bell and sound is nice but won't get you through most applications.

That's why I'm apprehensive about the Rock Ride.

Have you listened to the sound files on the Paiste site?

Alpha rides:
http://www.paiste.com/e/cymbals.php?category=1&family=10&action=category&menuid=275

Yep, that was step one just to establish a short list of candidates. I don't trust sound files enough to base my entire cymbal purchase solely on those though. I just thought I'd see if anybody could compare it to the Rock Ride, because I've tried that one plenty of times in person, and with my own sticks.

Back