Paiste 602 Classic Ride/Stick positioning

Stefan Brodsky

Recently purchased a new Paiste Formula 602 Classic 20" Medium Ride. While using a Vater 5A Sugar Maple (my main stick of choice these days), I have noticed that I get a little extra wash if stroked near the edge, but none, if hit about 1/3 of the way in. I'm guessing that (1/3 of the way in) is the "sweet spot" for this cymbal, at least with a thicker stick. The cymbal is overall is pretty buttery, and I do dig it's sound. I don't notice it as much however, if I use a 7A stick near the edge, which obviously is a little lighter. Keep in mind, these are wood tipped sticks. Has anyone else incurred a similar experience with Paiste or other brands of good rides?

Last edited:

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
Re: Ride Cymbal Stick Positioning

I think with any cymbal the more you put into it (i.e. heavier sticks, stronger stroke) the more you get out of it, primarily in wash. That's more noticeable in lighter cymbals and the sweet spot you're noticing usually happens where the cymbal gets proportionally thicker.

Stefan Brodsky

Thanks guys, good responses. The 5A Vater Sugar Maples have a standard acorn tip, while the 7As are definitely more of a round ball. Found a pair of Vaters in that size that are sugar maple and they work pretty well. I do have a pair of Vater 52nd Street Jazz, which have more of an elongated tip, though these are hickory and I've been drifting away from hickory in recent years, which are pretty dense. I seem to get just as good a sound and feel from the sugar maples, and I cannot remember the last time I broke a stick. I like Vater, because they put a tad more moisture in their sticks, which makes a difference in our dry climate here in Colo.

Last edited: